Well...

SRL

Maybe it was just something that your district did locally. by law, IEP reviews and even qualification meetings can be held even without parents being present, provided the district has given the parent proper notice.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ok, good news. The adv called back today and must have just been hurried or something yesterday...she made a lot more sense today and agreed to fight ANY kind of placement change that takes him out of the building or restricts him to partial days again.

We went thru a lot of info, with the final report from the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), we have a LOT of info to add to the IEP before they can really talk about doing anything drastic, AND she thinks she can make the meeting, even if its just a bit late.

I am still doing my homework and moving forward with my plans, but the lady I talked to today seemed to have Wee's interests in mind.

DammitJanet

Are you absolutely sure you want to fight having him placed at another school? Didnt I read that there is an alternative school in another district? One that could meet wee's needs but you didnt think you could get him in because it was out of district? Well...if that is so, the school can be mandated to send him there along with transportation.

Just asking. It might be somewhere else might be better for him.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm not against him going to another district as long as they will send him to a school that we ARE SURE has the means to deal. At this point, I will only fight homebound or less than a full schedule.

SRL

For some kids, a short, specified period of homebound can be helpful while the pieces are put together for the agreed upon services (ie hiring another aide,).

Marguerite

As you know, I'm a fan of good home schooling, it's been great for difficult child 3 and in fact it has IMPROveD his social skills, not hindered them.

But it must be recommended for the right reasons, and not simply because the school doesn't want to put in the accommodations they should.

And yes - I agree, keep Wee's needs to the fore. But put it forcefully. Politely, but firmly. Wee's needs are not being met.

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
And I agree with that, SRL. But homebound as a solution? As the half days were their "solution" this time last year? Not gonna happen.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
You slipped in on me Marg.

If I could figure out a good way to homeschool him, I'd likely do it. Being the primary wage earner, tho, makes that an awful big leap to make. And I'm not sure I could be with Wee 24x7x365, I love him, but...

Marguerite

I know you're the primary breadwinner. That's just one more reason for you to not take that option. Besides, as so many others have pointed out, they seem to be jumping to that option because it's the easiest FOR THEM.

I have no doubt that Wee would flourish in home schooling. But you need to earn your income, and home schooling should not be proposed when they have other options they haven't even tried. Following the IEP would be a good start.

If ever you do get to the stage where you can, or choose to, home-school wee, let me know and I'll give you some pointers on how to avoid being in each other's pockets. We've got a system with difficult child 3 that works, that allows me to leave him alone (now he's 16 especially) and even when I'm home, unless he is struggling, he gets on with his work without me necessarily needing to talk him through things. If I do, we have an intense half hour or so discussing the topic, then I leave him to continue alone. He's learning to work independently in tis way, and learning that if he doesn't do it, the work doesn't go away but it waiting for him always.

But that isn't your issue now. Home schooling should not be getting suggested until the school has really worked PROPERLY on the problem.

Marg