Well....

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
my surgeon's nurse just called. I had called her and requested a refill on pain medications.

She looked at my chart and realized i have a lot of stitches and felt the initial followup appointment (which was scheduled for about 2 weeks from today; 1 month post-op) is too long to leave the sutures in and too soon to follow up with the doctor on how i'm healing. So i go next week to get the sutures out, but my follow-up with the doctor is now a month away. :-(

Oh well. Its only time, and no sense in going in for no reason.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
and now they are calling and trying to reschledule the suture removal again for they day before the day they just cancelled! ugh!!!

and thats what i don't like about the university!!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Scheduling things post op can be a real PITA. I am sorry it is so frustrating. Imagine being the scheduler trying to fit in all these appointments for everyone! I think it might drive a person nuts!

I hope the pain is getting better. The longer you keep the injured area propped up the faster and better it will heal. Propped up does NOT mean having it up on the recliner - it means having it up above your heart. it is an error many people make because docs rarely explain it thoroughly. It can make a big difference in your pain levels too.

Are you exposed to tobacco smoke in your home? That can cause quite a few problems for your healing. It interferes with how the bones heal, making it take weeks longer. My gfgbro used skoal and didn't quit when he was in an accident and shattered his leg. His orthopedic doctor said it extended his healing time by several weeks. Secondhand smoke can be worse than smoking yourself because you don't have that little filter. So if possible, make any smokers go outside at least until you heal. I am sorry if I sound preachy or no one smokes. I just remember how upset I was when the doctor told me this. NOT because I was smoking, but because my gfgbro and cousin had numerous broken bones and were NEVER told anything about this. It could have helped them, esp my cousin who's mom is a chain smoker - he has broken every bone in his body just about - to the point it is a problem at airports and places with tight security. He could have avoided a LOT of pain if his mom had known - she would have had NO problem going outside to smoke if it helped him heal.

Anyway, I am sorry nights are bad. There are a lot of free meditations online that might help you. I can ask husband which ones he likes and send you the links if you want.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Maybe you start talking about green pus and oozy this and that and red lines - I bet they get you in quick - then when you get in there you say - Oh look it was marker........take your finger and wet it on your tongue and rub it all off.....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL yeah Star has a good idea................... one that I've actually used. But then I have my difficult child moments.

Well, good thing nurse was on her toes about the sutures. Stinks that it bumped everything else further away though.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yup, i'm propped above my heart, susie, and no smokers here (no one smokes, but i'm allergice, anyway). and no ibuprofen, as doctor said that slows healing, also. in fact, no nsaids at all. which has kinda sucked cause the swelling is no fun, but i'm being a good kid.

other than i whacjed my hnd tonight and my thumb doesn't feel right now. hope its better in the morning.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
oh and they called back about the appointment. i go in next week to get the sutures out, and in jan for followup

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
nothing said about pt. :-/

when i left the hospital, i asked and they said no pt because they didn't want tp stress it til theyknew it was healing first. she said yesterday that they really couldn't tell about bone healing til 6 weeks post op, so i assume that means no pt til jan, either.

i may be calling them in the morning, tho, cause i lost some thumb use with my "knock" earlier tonight. not limited by pain, either, i just plain cant make it bend at the knuckle now, and i could before.

grrrrrrr.