Went for the hearing aids today!!!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
What a lovely place! What awesome people!!!!!!!! We got there 1/2 hour early in case we needed to do more paperwork. They appreciated that. DF was so jumpy and nervous. I also figured the 1/2 hour would help calm him down. Not much. They said his hearing loss is really bad, and were very glad after seeing how bad that they picked him. I said I was too, DF as if on que said "What?" I laughed.

He's been so nervous thinking that they would give him gigantic over the ear hearing aids. We'd be thankful for whatever he got, but at some point you know - vantiy rules.....and we were really very surprised when the lady gave him this tiny thing about the size of the end of your pinky. They put gunk in his ears, and he should have his own personal hearing aids in about a week. I was so thankful I hugged her!!!

I'm trying to think of something nice I can do for them - Take them something - (affordable lol) any thoughts? This gal was really so nice, a thank you card would be nice, but I just would like to do something ---neat.

I can't wait until I can say something to DF - the kind that he got they told him he can wear all day immediately - I don't know what the name is right off but I know they are very expensive...and they are giving him follow up care and warranty for a year! OMG WE ARE SO VERY BLESSED!

HAPPY DANCE!

nvts

How about an ice cream cake? If it's too expensive, you can make one. Buy cheapo ice cream sandwiches, take off the wrappers, buy hot fudge, nuke it til it gets to be about the same consistancy of icing. Lay six or eight sandwiches on a tray, spread the fudge, put six or eight sandwiches on top of that, spread the fudge like icing on the top and sides and then toss it in the freezer for a few hours to harden up. Use write-a-cake with a thank you message and drop it off. In the hot weather, it'd be pretty refreshing.

Or you could make a big pitcher of homemade lemonade, ice it up really good and drop it and plastic cups off.

It sounds like a fantastic experience - you should find out who runs the program, contact them and write a really nice letter with the employee's names. You never know if there's some type of "atta boy bonus" or something that you can impact with something like that!

Beth

H

HaoZi

Cake or doughnuts. Offices love cake and doughnuts.
Will he have to get them tuned or adjusted or whatever they do? Dad finally got some a few years ago and they just could not (or would not) get those things tuned right so that he could hear Kiddo over the phone. Sounds like your group is more cooperative!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm so happy for your DF.

But I will warn you, because no one warned me.

After the newness wears off don't be surprised if he stops wearing them most of the time..........then a majority of the time.........and if he's anything like husband.........all of the time.

Makes me want to smack him upside the head when he has two very excellent very expensive hearing aides tucked away in a drawer he refuses to wear for a variety of reasons. Echo, static, and my ultimate fav.......makes it too loud........and what he calls "white noise" (too many people in a room). Surprises me as he was thrilled with them at first. Me too cuz they meant no more repeating myself a dozen times and listening to the tv so loud the windows rattle and the neighbors actually hear it better than we do.

On a brighter note, I see a LOT of coupons/sales for hearing aide batteries.

Estherfromjerusalem

That's wonderful! I hope he gets used to using them quickly. My brother-in-law just got hearing aids, and he showed me that the teeny bit that goes behind his ear is like a little computer, and he can press one of three buttons and tune in to different ways of filtering out noise. One is for going to concerts (they go to a lot), one is for -- oh, I don't remember, but I was so impressed. Mind you, in this modern world with all the marvellous technology -- why not!! The only drawback is the expense. They are disgustingly expensive, even more than really good dentures.

Oh well, the joys of growing older . . . .!!

Love, Esther

PS. I would bake a batch of cookies and put them in a decent looking plastic box and give them that, if it were me. Office people always like cookies to have with their coffee break.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Fruit.

Get a cheap basket - they're everywhere - and put apples, oranges and bananas in it. Nothing fancy.

I love cookies but fruit is so much healthier...

...And my Dad finally got a hearing aid (one ear only, for some odd reason his other ear is fine) - about 2 years ago. He adores it. I adore him being able to HEAR. And... Bonus? I can't even see it unless I look.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Starbie, I got my hearing aids 3 years ago. I found that I couldn't wear mine all day at first. The stimulation (by actually hearing things) was too much for my brain. Who knew turn signals were so loud? The thud of tires on the pavement about drove me over a wall.

What's interesting is that I take mine out when I find the world to be too much.

Take a basket of gourmet coffee & teas. Every office needs that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ohhhhhhh girls you have all given me some great ideas! thank you! Lemme think on it a bit! I really like the lemonade fresh squeezed would be such a treat!

DDD

I am thrilled for you all. My husband needs to get new hearing aids but is refusing to go because of the cost. It is SO difficult living with and working with someone who doesn't hear properly. Plus he has told me that I now talked to loudly. Duh! Wonder why? My vanity hopes that he is wrong because it would really bother me to be known for speaking loudly...and not even know it. Best of luck. DDD

TerryJ2

Congrats, Star! I like the idea of lemonade and cookies, or a fruit basket.

I confess ... I wear hearing aids, too. I used to wear the teeny tiny kind, but now that my loss is up to 50%, I'm back to the regular kind (no over-the-ear type yet). I took them out at dinnertime at first, because the kids were SO LOUD!!! and especially when they fought. Now, I only take them out on occasion, like when difficult child slammed the car door yesterday and screamed at me all the way to the therapist.
You have to practice in different environments and be patient.
And they can make your ears itch. ;)
Oh, one thing ... sometimes I turn down or take out the left one when I'm driving, to reduce road noise.
And don't let the dogs and cats use them for toys!!!!