Went shopping! L gets her first real apartment

witzend

...on Saturday. She called husband and asked him to help her move her stuff. When she moved out of our house a few years ago, even though she had plenty of time to prepare, everything was in black garbage bags. UGH! husband asked her if everything was packed, and she said "Yes, it's all brand new in boxes." I'm hoping that her dad bought her stuff and that she didn't go out and put a bunch of stuff on credit.

She thought she didn't have any credit, but her dad has bought her a car and made the payments in her name, so she actually has pretty good credit. Scary! I'm not actually thrilled if he bought her all new stuff for her place, either. I mean, it's nice. But I wish that she had to work for something of her own. I think it would mean more to her.

I'm not really physically able to help her move. I have offered her some things for the house, but she didn't ask for my help. I haven't heard back about the stuff lately either, so I don't know if she still wants it.

I told husband this evening that since her dad was going to be there that it wouldn't hurt anyone for him to tell him 'You know, if you would apologize to W.E., it would be nice. And then she wouldn't have anything to hold over your head, either.' "And you can do it using just that many words, too" I told him. "Uh huh", he says. :crazy: (Seriously. I want the old "rolleyes" back - it looked just like me!) I softly reiterated my point. He made real words. Who knows?

I hope to goodness that L will find herself in this. I know it's going to be really hard. She picked an apartment way on the other side of town from us and from her dad. She wants to live there because it's more upscale to say that you live in SW than SE. Whatever! It's an apartment for crying out loud! :cry:

Anyway, keep her in your good thoughts for me? She's never really been alone - always with a guy or her dad or us. It will be hard for her I'm sure.

goldenguru

It's scary, exciting all wrapped into one when they finally are standing on their own two feet.

Got my fingers crossed for her.

KFld

I know it's scarey, but hey, maybe being on her own is what she needs. She will have to depend on herself now.

witzend

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KFld</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it's scarey, but hey, maybe being on her own is what she needs. She will have to depend on herself now. </div></div>

No "maybe"s about it! This is what she needs. Now if I can just get myself past the "scary" part...

:crazy:

I didn't grow up until I got my very first apartment without a guy. That was only 3 years ago! This is a very good thing for her, and I am sending her all the good juju I can.

blb

Crossing whatever body parts are available :wink: that L grows up a bit with the new apt, and doesn't immediately search for someone new to rescue her.

Hope springs eternal, right? :smile:

Stella Johnson

Sounds like a really good step for your difficult child. Crossing all body parts doing the pretzel that it works out for her. :smile:

Steph

witzend

Talked to Missy L today about her moving tomorrow. I asked if she had everything she needs? "Oh yes. Everything. Like what?" Garbage can? Kitchen towels? "Well, no garbage can. No kitchen towels, no towels of any kind, actually... But I have TV. I'm getting satellite."

:rolleyes:

OK, Target time! I bought dish soap, laundry soap, hand soap, bar soap, window cleaner, bath towels, kitchen towels, sponges, comet, toilet cleaner, broom, mop, wipes, paper towels, toothpaste, washcloths, trash can and liners, laundry soap, laundry basket, soup, milk, tuna, bread, cereal, dental floss, face soap, and more I'm sure. I forgot to get a paper towel holder, though!

Oh well, I'm sure it matters more to me than it does to her. I can remember having my first apartment for months before I got a broom! lol!

goldenguru

Heh I need new towels. Wanna take me shopping witzend? LOL.

When my daughter got married, I decided that SHE should get all of my old stuff... ya know the towels you can see through and that I - being married 25 years should take all of her new gifts. She didn't go for my idea. Dang. :smile:

Your daughter is a lucky girl to have such a gracious and generous mom!!

witzend

So, of course I put some bread and milk and cheerios, tuna, soup, chili, and canned tomatoes and some basic spices and some veggies. I opened the back of the car and she saw them and said "You brought groceries?! Cool!" "Of course", I told her. "I'm your mom!"

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Bread, salt and fire. Old Eastern European tradition. Every time my mom has visited for the first time at a new place she shows up with a loaf of bread, a carton of salt, and a box of stove matches.

I think I have four boxes of matches left yet from moves over the past thirty (ack!) years.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Bread, salt and fire. Old Eastern European tradition. Every time my mom has visited for the first time at a new place she shows up with a loaf of bread, a carton of salt, and a box of stove matches.

I think I have four boxes of matches left yet from moves over the past thirty (ack!) years.

scent of cedar

Witz, it sounds like you and L had such a nice time together! It IS fun to buy them things for their apartments, isn't it?

Almost a rite of passage.... :smile:

When I got my first apartment, my grandmother came with my great aunts and more food and mixes and dishes and pots and pans than I ever thought I would use in a million years.

I have never forgotten that, or how cherished it made me feel.

Barbara

:smile: