Went to my first FA meeting and was shocked

Nancy

I went to an FA meeting tonight that is actually only about 2 miles away from my house and I was greeted by my very best friend from college. I was shocked beyond belief that he was there and he recognized me immediately. We went to our city university in downtown and commuted and became very good friends because both our last names started with "W" and we were always seated in the back of the room together. He actually staretd driving me to school everyday because he passed my street on the way. We became very close and actually went on a date once. I still remember we went to the movies to see Little Big Man. After the date we decided not to do that anymore because we didn't want to ruin our friendship. He ended up marryng the girl he was dating sice high school and I did the same.

What a small world we live in. I haven't seen him since we graduated so any years ago. He did the lead for tonight's meeting so I had a chance to learn about his son. You always think you have it worse until you hear someone else's story. His son is an alcoholic/drug addict/bi-polar/schizophrenic. He is 31, has a phd and teaches college part time and is a research assistant for a professor and yet can't get out of bed at times and is in such a deep depression and on so many medications that he doesn't eat for days or pay his bills for months or get into his car to go anywhere.

The people at the meeting were great and it was the first support group meeting I've ever been to where there was more laughter than anything else.

Nancy

A

AmericanGirl

I'm so happy for you.

When all this started, I called a good friend to see if he knew of resources as he lives in a nearby town. He was very active in Al-anon. Small world....

God bless him...he calls me several times a week to check on me. He has the best ideas. He will never know, despite my many thanks, how he literally saved my sanity.

So glad you went!

Calamity Jane

Nancy, you took a chance and look what happened! The outcome was totally unexpected. That's wonderful - although the circumstances are miserable, our purpose is to console and help if we can, and your friend certainly did that. And I never thought "laughter" and "al-anon" would end up in the same sentence!

T

toughlovin

I am so glad you found a good meeting and I think running into your friend is very cool and somehow meant to be.

At the alanon meeting I go to there is a lot of laughter and commiseration. It is good to have a place where when you talk about the midnight phone calls and the heart stopping reaction that others totally get what you mean.

TL

Nancy: I'm glad that you found a good meeting. You mentioned before that you had been going to a parent meeting. Were you going to an Alanon meeting before going to the FA meeting?

I have been going to an FA meeting for the last few months, and there is a lot of laughter in my meeting also. I always feel better after I attend an FA meeting, because everyone in the group understands exactly what I am going through with my addict son. They have even given me good suggestions to help my husband, because he refuses so go to any meetings. It is really powerful when a group of people get together who have the same issues and goals. I hope that you had a chance to read the FA red book, Just For Today, because that book has helpful reading for every day.

exhausted

Nancy, I'm so glad you went and glad that this person from your past was there. I'm sure there was a reason for that. I too really find comfort at my FA meetings. These people are really trying to work the program and find peace. The group is large yet so coehesive. Last week I was able to lead the group and it was a wonderful learning experience as I prepared. The little FA pamplet "Fear to Faith" has been very helpful for me. ((Hugs))