Went to see Perks of being a Wallflower today with difficult child and easy child.

Kathy813

Staff member
difficult child wanted to see it so she and I planned a movie outing. difficult child invited easy child to come along and to my surprise, she did. easy child usually shies away from stuff involving difficult child. Maybe difficult child's little adventure to the ER made easy child decide she should start spending more time with her . . . or maybe she just wanted to see the movie.

Anyway, I thought the movie was well-done. easy child commented on the way out that it hit too close to home. She said it reminded her of difficult child's high school days. The suicide attempts also were a little uncomfortable.

The main character had been sexually abused as a child and suppressed it. On the way out of the theater, difficult child mused that maybe something like that had happened to her and she has suppressed it, too. I certainly don't know of anything like that but childhood abuse or trauma is thought to be a contributing factor to Borderline (BPD). I have often wondered if something could have happened that I didn't know about.

It was nice to be out with my two girls but I think we'll stick to a comedy next time.

~Kathy

Nancy

Heavy movie Kathy, but it's nice you got to spend the afternoon with both your girls. Don't you think you would know if there was any trauma in difficult child's life? I tried to make sense of difficult child and never could. She had the most involved and loving father and yet she looked to every other man for attention since she was a small toddler.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
I would like to think so, Nancy. But I guess there is always the possibility something happened when I was not with her. I think she was just speculating, though.

T

toughlovin

I have also wondered about some kind of trauma happening to my difficult child that I dont know about it.... and so far nothing has come up that I am aware of in therapy.... I think he has done some things he is intensely ashamed of and that may be its own kind of trauma.... and then there is the trauma of adoption.

Otherwise though he had very loving parents....

TL

Kathy813

Staff member
There was a poignant moment in the movie that sums up why my difficult child continues to pine for Peter Pan:

Sam: Why do I and everyone I love pick people who treat us like we're nothing?
Charlie: We accept the love we think we deserve.

If my difficult child could only understand that she deserves so much more.