We're back and I'm NERVOUS

T

TeDo

difficult child 2 and I are back from the lake and difficult child 1 is spending the week there with friends. I am sooo nervous about him being there after seeing how they "do things" when they're on vacation. Keep in mind that difficult child 1 does NOT remember to take his medications without verbal prompts. He doesn't brush his teeth or shower without verbal reminders. He does NOT eat unless told to and/or something is made for him (he's too busy playing to remember to eat and won't ask people to make him something when he IS hungry, except me of course). At the lake, these friends snack all day and told my kids to help themselves to anything when they get hungry. Their 4 & 1 year olds get healthy snacky foods but only when they get REALLY crabby.

I am scared that difficult child 1 will miss a bunch of medications and that he won't eat much and what he does eat will not be healthy in any way and that he won't brush or shower for a whole week either. As much as difficult child 2 and I need the break, I'm not sure my nerves are going to allow me to enjoy a minute of it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

B

bigbear11

I can understand your worries but try to let yourself take a breather and enjoy the break. I am assuming the other parents understand difficult children "issues" or you wouldn't have been comfortable letting him stay. If its like our house... things will be fine at the lake but look out when he gets home. Hopefully not for your sake.

Hope you can use this time to recharge your own batteries and enjoy the break.

T

TeDo

I called him at 9:30pm and asked if he'd taken his pills yet. Nope. I asked what he had for dinner. "She (the wife) went to get some buffalo wings so we'll eat those when she gets back." So I told him "eat, medications, then brush your teeth." He said okay before I told him I loved him and good night.

Not really making me feel any better.

Malika

Hi TeDo. Well, easy for me to say, of course, but the only thing on your list I would think really worthy of worry would be the medications. If he doesn't wash, eat healthily or brush his teeth for a week... well, it's not the end of the world and the experiences he is getting outweigh those things. in my humble opinion. Could you speak to one of the adults and ask if they would check he has taken his medications?

B

Bunny

How often does he take his medications? Can you call when it's time for him to take his medications to remind him that he needs to take them now? Or can you call the parents that he's staying with and tell them that he needs to take them? I hope that you get to enjoy your break, but I understand how you feel.

T

TeDo

I did tell the parents during the week-end the three specific times a day he has medications and told them he needs verbal reminders. But after observing their "relaxed" state, I don't know. Malika, the reason I worry about the food is that he turns 14 years old next month and only weighs 70 pounds to begin with. He can't afford to lose any more weight without developing physical problems. To me, eating ranks right up there with medications. I could call him three times a day but if they're out in the lake (which he was most of the weekend), the cell phones will be inside the cabin. I WILL give that a try though.