We're calling the GI in the morning AGAIN (GROSS WARNING)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You've been warned, this is not a pretty subject.

difficult child 1 is STILL having bowel issues related to IBS. It seems as though he may have an impaction somewhere in his colon. A Fleet treatment doesn't seem to produce much of anything except water, and what little stool he does produce seems to be stuff that's leaking around the blockage. Ugh.

I've been serving him oatmeal for breakfast in hopes that the fiber is gentle enough to help move things along, and he's been doing daily Miralax in apple juice. He missed 1/2 of Thursday and all of Friday at school because of the discomfort -- Friday his pain was around a 6. We did a quasi-flush out of his system with 6 doses of Miralax that day (per doctor's orders). But he still did not produce anything formed. The weekend was o.k. discomfort-wise, but he's still having the urge to go and not producing anything solid.

He missed school Monday, too because he felt sick and uncomfortable. The GI said to try the Fleet again and continue with the Miralax. He felt a little better after that, but not enough to go back to school that day.

He went back yesterday and made it through the whole day without any issues (still no normal stool, though). And today was fine, no urge to go until BAM 3:10pm after I'd dropped him off at orchestra rehearsal and he said he spent the next two hours in pain in the bathroom. He finally called me from the office phone (he didn't have his cell) to be picked up an hour early.

I tried to massage his abdomen to see if that would help get things moving. It only caused him more pain. Did another Fleet tonight and he felt a little better, but still nothing more than water and then mush. I'm increasing the Miralax again tonight and will call the doctor back in the morning. He's taking a warm bath right now, hoping that will help, too.

This is just ridiculous. :whiteflag:

witzend

Has he been on antibiotics yet? I've also been eating yogurt with probiotics and they have helped. I can't eat a lot of meat or fried food. Or sugar. Or...

I hope he will feel better.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've had luck with a heating pad set to medium. If it doesn't get things moving, it does help with some of the discomfort.

Have you tried giving him some coffee? (old remedy, not sure if he's past that stage yet) Hot beverages can be good to get things going sometimes.

Does he have a stool softener? You can get them at the pharmacy, they used to sell the same versions (basically) used to clean the bowel for tests/surgery. You can ask the pharmacist. Don't know if they still do or not. Back in my bad IBS days I kept it on hand just in case, but didn't need it often because I'm one of those weird people who think prune juice is delicious. lol I'm thinking if the fleet's didn't do a thing it must be pretty high up in the bowel.

Poor kid. Unfortunately I know too well how he feels.

hugs

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Considering some of the things discussed here, that was not bad!

I feel so bad for the kid. I have no clue, I can't figure out my own issues yet! Seems like no one thing ever works for everyone and is never consistent.

I hope he feels better soon

crazymama30

Poor kiddo. I think Hound dog is talking about mag citrate, or as my grandfather puts it liquid dynamite!

I will see if I can get you recipes for power pudding and swamp juice. When I worked in home health the foster home providers (for old folks) swore by it.

I am guessing you are passed this point, but what about milk of magnesia?

I hope he can get some relief and avoid the hospital. Impactions and obstructions can be so painful and dangerous.

KTMom91

Knock wood, we haven't had that particular problem around here. Hope the doctor can get him cleaned out and comfortable soon. I can't imagine how badly that must hurt.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Poor kid! Life shouldn't be so painful for the young. I have recently been diagnosis'd with diverticulitis. Bowel issues are very humbling.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have been giving him more yogurt this week along with the oatmeal in hopes it would help the situation. He won't do coffee, but he's had lots of hot soup and that doesn't do much... When he had his first scope about four years ago the doctor he first saw made him take the mag citrate for the prep -- that stuff is AWFUL. He could barely gag it down. Really, the Miralax (polyethylene glycol) is the best thing as far as softeners go. It's not habit forming and it makes the stool hold onto more water. It's all our current pediatrician GI will use for bowel preps anymore because it's so easy, no taste, mixes with anything. He had about 4 doses tonight alone (plus one this morning), so imagine he's going to be up trying to go a lot tonight. I just hope he doesn't have to be admitted for this. Yikes. That would not be very much fun. But then, this isn't very much fun either. He is SO tired of missing classes or entire days from this.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ugh. He's home again this morning. Pain is about a 4. Left a message with the GI nurse and am waiting for a call back. He's eating soup mixed with Miralax now and he had a dose in juice earlier plus some oatmeal.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Ugh. Does walking or moving around help him at all? I know they had me walking the halls in the hospital when I was on so many pain medications. Different situation I know but I didn't know if that might help him or not.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Every so often he gets up and walks around. He's been working on homework today. GI is out of town but the nurse emailed her so we're waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, the pain comes a goes -- just enough to make him feel yucky and not feel confident enough to venture out to do anything. So he takes some more Miralax and we wait. He's had 5 doses today. He's missed two days of school so far this week and three lacrosse practices, and will likely miss practice today. He's really disappointed about that, because it means he probably won't get to play in Saturday's game, even if he feels well enough. :(

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. Have you thought about the molasses and milk ennema they did with Jessie? She also had no luck with many doses of miralax or fleet or anything else? It can be done at home, they first wanted us to do that, but then admitted her for it.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What's the milk/molasses mixture? Do you know the ratio they used? Type of milk (if it even matters)? I'm about ready to try just about anything. I felt his abdomen again, and although I'm not a doctor and not exactly sure what I'm feeling, I can kind of make out what feels like a firm sausage shape running vertically and a bit left of center below his belly button. I know the descending colon is in that area, but I'm pretty sure it's over further, and would probably feel bigger than what I'm feeling if it were impacted there.

Still no word from the GI today. Hopefully she checks her email and calls in the morning.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
GVCmom, I don't know if this is a good idea, but sauerkraut works like dynamite for me (must be the Polish genes). The process is painful.

I'm trying to imagine what this degree of chronic pain must do to a child's psyche. I spent most of my life being constipated because I was terrified of my mother. It just wasn't safe to even breath or be noticed.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Dairy Queen is what works for me but it too can be a painful process if there is a gas build up before hand. I'd hate for him to try eating something that he knows will work only to have it make things worse.

Hope something happens soon so he doesn't have to go in.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm sure he's feeling bloated, but are you pushing water? You can put in all the fiber in the world, but if he's not downing the water.......it's not got much to work with.

My cure all is prune juice.......but it too can be painful so I put it off until it's a must. (even though I like it)

Walking, and I mean a lot of walking does it for me like nothing else. I'm afraid this has gone on long enough that when things do get going the poor kid is going to be in agony. I wish that darn doctor would get back in touch with you.

All the grands except for K's kids have terrible issues with constipation. (it comes from my side) Darrin's and Brandon's is maintained by more than enough water. Except at meals it's all they drink and they drink LOTS. Both boys are also big fresh fruit lovers and easy child has rediscovered the power of grahm crackers. lol Aubrey loves fresh veggies like broccoli and such. But if Nichole doesn't pay attention......even with water, juices, fruit and veggies she can get backed up bad. As a baby she got prune juice. Now she won't drink it. But Nichole has discovered that letting her snack on popcorn helps keep her regular and Aubrey loves popcorn.

BusynMember

Hi.
My brother had Crohn's Disease starting as a child and it's not fun. Because he has this, I'd take him to his GI right away. You never know what's going on and you don't want to take any chances. My brother is 50 now and has had various issues through his life. Fortunately, these days they know a lot more about Crohn's.

I wouldn't try to do this myself. (((Hugs)))

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks everyone.

The GI just phone me from the road -- said the nurse's emails were a bit long-winded so she wanted to call me direct... wants us to stop the Miralax and the enemas over the weekend to get a better picture of what's going on. Thinks it's possible those things are masking what's really going on. Said it could be anything from an infection to an impaction.

He's drinking lots of fluids, so that's not an issue. Right now he doesn't feel much like eating or walking or anything else because his pain is back up to a 5, so he's home again. :( We know there's no obstruction because stool is (more or less) trickling out -- so I don't think this is an emergency situation. And his labs just a few weeks ago were perfect, so we can be fairly confident this is not Crohn's related. I'm having him note when he feels the urge to go, and when he produces something (asked him to do it a while ago, but he forgot). Hopefully that will help the assessment, too.

susiestar

Roll With It
FWIW, the molasses was just one whole jar (grandma's molasses). First they warmed that in a microwave and put it into the enema bag. Then they filled the jar with milk, warmed it and put it into the bag. The nurse squished it around between her hands until it mixes well and it was ready. It took quite a few tries to use up the entire amount. It DID make a big difference.

I hope he feels better soon!