We're leaving difficult child home alone for the first time

TerryJ2

We have to drive 3 hrs to help easy child move to a new apartment. We will stay overnight on Sat.
He probably won't have a party, but a few mo's ago, he fell asleep and left something in the broiler that burned and we had to open all the windows.
We are giving him the responsibility to change the kitty litter twice, take out the dogs and bring them back in 4X, feed all animals, and clean up after himself. Oh, and lock the doors and turn out the lights.

This is practice for getting his license and car. THAT is a real motivator for him, as much as video games were when he was little. (He's still into gaming but not totally dependent upon it.)

Fingers crossed! Send luck and strength and honesty for difficult child please. :praying::notsure::stupid:

Nomad

Staff member
Sounds like a good test. I would still have a good friend or close relative stop by Saturday night to check in on him briefly. Fingers crossed.

TerryJ2

Thank you!
He's supposed to do chores in the a.m.
His girlfriend's mom will drop him off at our house Sat. eve. at 10 p.m. so he will be "supervised" most of the day.
I'm concerned that he'll stay up most of the night playing video games and won't get enough sleep.
All we can do is try it.
Oh, he did tell me that he turned out the lights and locked the door tonight. :)

LittleDudesMom

If he stays up all night and doesn't get enough sleep, that's the very least than could happen!

I think it is important for our difficult children to be given the responsibility of taking care of themselves on their own before they leave our homes. I have taught difficult child to do simple cooking, he's been doing his own laundry for a couple years now, he has a number of responsibilities around the house and, now that he is graduated and working, he pays me rent every week. It's the only way they learn.

Fingers crossed that all went well!

Sharon

TerryJ2

We're home!
Not only did the house not burn down, but he made our beds, vacuumed, and got a job interview at McDonald's on Monday!! Woo hoo!
Fingers crossed. A big week!

SOOO happy for you ;-)

I had to lol at burning the house down....i'm in a similar situation right now where GFG15 has to stay home alone (at least overnight) too and I have said to multiple people that im not worried about a party, boys, drugs et.al....i'm beside myself that she'll see something like cherries jubilee on the food channel and decide its the time to try it (and get wildly distracted in the process!).

my instructions to her include absolutely NO cooking. she can microwave a hot pocket if she's hungry, or make a cold sandwich.

it just made me chuckle at how different of a perspective we difficult child parents sometimes have. often im grateful that that kind of stuff IS my biggest worry.

but like yours, its been fine and i'm so happy....I hope now you can do it again, and for something fun for you and husband. ALONE.

it is true that we do have to let go sometime...