Whack a Mole

Nature

Just when I think I'm regaining my life, I feel like life has bopped me on the head and I am pushed back down the dark hole. Hense, the whack a mole comment that one plays at Amusement Parks. I am trying to find a bit of my humour in what has been very difficult years but especially the last couple weeks and a rough weekend.

This weekend, I took my own advice and spent a lot of time in my garden as it what use to bring me joy .I have been helping my sister every weekend but we both decided I needed a day for myself and I would visit her the following day. It was working I felt happy until I received a phone call from my son's new Recovery facility and mins later from his father. I'll save those conversations for another thread, but overall those phone calls sucked the life out of me.

I tried to find a way to regain my sense of peace and decided to take a hot bath with a good book. That will do the trick to relax me .....so I thought. My peace my shattered with constant calls on my cell which I heard ringing downstairs. I emerge from the tub to answer the phone. It was from my mother who is currently staying with my sister who has stage 4 cancer. My 85 yr old mom was crying and babbling , had left several messages, something about men with trucks on my sisters property and what I thought she said was my son's name. The last message said something about another man has arrived and has brought his shotgun. My heart filled with terror. Both my mother and my sister are completely helpless and are on a remote property. A shotgun - OMG!

I call immediately and my mom is still crying and informs me my sister is outside with her animals and they are all dead but people are coming to help her. My sister lives 2 hours from my home and has a private sanctuary with many farm animals whom she rescued from abusive situations. It is for this reason she refuses to leave her property and why I have been going there every weekend to help her.She was only recently diagnosed with cancer and it's stage 4. She is not yet ready to rehome her animals or leave her remote property. I realize when I speak to my mother that she has not said my son's name but rather something about dogs. I tell my mom I'm coming immediately. I make the drive in an 1 and 1/2.

When I arrive it is eerily quiet and no other vehicles around- not even the animals that usually come to greet me - the dogs, sheep, chickens and llama's. Nothing.

I enter her home and find my mother slumped in a chair with her walker beside her and my sister in bed unable to get up. The story emerges that two Italian Mastiffs appeared on her property and literally ripped her animals apart. Her own three large dogs were in her house and had been barking but my sister was unable to get out of bed at the time and had thought it had been deer that had visited her property earlier that were causing her dogs to bark. My mother who had been up with my sister for most of the night was also laying down.

The horror they discovered was unspeakable and my sister was able to call someone for help. I'm so heart broken for my sister who had to experience that especially in her condition. I'm heartbroken for those beautiful animals whose lives were destroyed in such a horrific way. I just returned home this evening and have to return to work tomorrow after my Spring Break. Overall overwhelmed and like a mole I want to crawl into a hole. I am trying to regain the positive attitude I have finally gained but this has been a rough weekend. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:

beam-me-up

That is absolutely horrific! I am so sorry that you all had to go through this. I can only imagine how heartbroken and distressed you all must be.

Who were these people with the guns? Were they with the dogs? Or were they there to destroy or capture the dogs?

There is nothing I can say that will help except that I hate that you all went through this and that your sister's beautiful animals were killed in this way. I hope that you are able to get to the bottom of the story and find the people responsible because although the mastiff's did the killing, whoever owns those big powerful dogs clearly did not have them under control.

Lil

Oh Nature - I'm speechless! What a horrible experience! I know it's too late to be of any comfort now, but I hope the dogs were caught and their owner found and prosecuted!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh Nature, this breaks my heart. I am an animal lover and the thought of this is just sickening.
I do hope your sister will be able to work through all the emotions, and also your mom.

Sending you ((HUGS))

AppleCori

((((Nature))))

I am praying for you and your ill sister and mom, who didn't need to have to deal with this, on top of everything they are already dealing with.

Apple

New Leaf

What a terrible thing to happen. I am so sorry. Words just cannot express. Prayers going up for your sister, mom and you.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

Nature

Thank you all so much for this support. I'm unable at this time to write my thoughts as I have to return to my sister's home and I'll be offline for a few days.
I only made it for a few hours at work until I had to leave. I found out my sister missed some very important hospital test but the stress of the last few days has hit her hard. She was out in the pouring rain for hours with one of the surviving animals and awaiting for help to arrive - sadly it was also too badly injured to save. Two LLama's did manage to escape and I will try to catch them to return to her farm. I have no idea as to how to catch Llamas who are not harnessed trained and are roaming on 60 acres located next to hers on land with an absentee landlord. Behind her, are hundreds of acres of Government Land. She lives in such a remote location. However, I'm determined it would mean so much to my sister if I was able to retrieve them. I'm somewhat smiling at his visual as I have to see humour in what otherwise has been the most horrific week. I'll keep you posted when I return.
Your post and condolences meant a lot - thank you.

AppleCori

We will be thinking of you and your family this week.

Check back in and let us know how everything is going when you can.

Apple

New Leaf

Nature you will be missed. Please take care and check in as soon as you can. Give hugs to your sis and mom......Good luck on your llama hunt, I hope you find them but please be careful!
(((Hugs)))
leafy

Nature

Thanks so much for all the positive messages. I managed to get the Llama's!!! At least this caused a bit of happiness to what otherwise had been a horrible time. I can now add Llama wrangler to my resume. ;)

I also had spoken to HR and they were understanding as I've taken so much time off work lately so relieved a bit of my stress. I appreciate all your kind words everyone - Thank you. I will catch up on post in the next few days.

New Leaf

I managed to get the Llama's!!!
YAY!
I can now add Llama wrangler to my resume. ;)
Wow, Nature, how on earth did you pull that one off? I am so glad, good job!
I also had spoken to HR and they were understanding as I've taken so much time off work lately so relieved a bit of my stress.
Oh, this is good. I am happy for you Nature, you done good, girl. ;)
(((HUGS)))
leafy

Nature

I must have walked for hours shaking tins of food until they came galloping down the mountain...good thing they were food motivated so that ended on a good note regarding the Llama's.

As for my son...not so good news as he was kicked out of the rehab a few days ago for being back on drugs again.He's now MIA on the streets somewhere and my heart hurts so much. He called both my sister and his dad at least 20 times several days ago begging for money which they know would go to drugs. Once refused he switched to his ugly talk and eventually became delusional.Some of it is from his addiction to Meth and the other is his mental illness. Both my sister and his dad haven't heard from him for several days. He will now have a warrant for his arrest as he's broken his probation. I will now have no way of knowing where he is and what he is doing. I'm trying to focus on other things so my mind isn't consumed 24/7 thinking about him.

pigless in VA

Warm hugs for you today, Nature. :grouphugg:I'm glad you were able to coax the llamas home. I hope those mastiffs are located and euthanized. Did your sister think to report this horrible incident?

Nature

Thank you Pigless. She chose not to report it although I encouraged her to do so. She didn't want to be responsible for more animal deaths. I do understand her mindset although I tried to convince her that those animals may be responsible for more carnage especially in a farming community. I encouraged her to report it to authorities but she couldn't bring herself to do it. The owners promised they would build a fence and contain their dogs and showed up a week later with compensation for the loss of her animals. Still, you can't place a price on pets lives. I don't agree with her decision but I couldn't convince her otherwise.