Whacky Weather

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's MARCH 18th..........at 11:01pm it's 70 degrees outside. I'm sweating, kid you not. It has been in the mid to upper 70's for about a week. It's supposed to be near 80 degrees all week.

Now, honestly I'm not complaining. I'm loving having my windows open and basking in the fresh air, especially at this point in the year. And I'm thrilled that my gas bill will be even lower than it has already been all winter, which is pretty darn low. But c'mon. This is WEIRD. Oh, the occasional day or two maybe three, sure. But not two solid weeks of near 80 degrees in march!

Not to mention the lovely storms it's bringing along with it. They're stronger and more severe than usual.

First the odd warmish winter........now weather that makes you think summer not spring and certainly NOT march.

Allergies are insane. Bugs are over abundant. Fleas are already an issue. (not surprising given the mild winter)

I'm contemplating pulling out my warm weather clothing because it's just too hot to wear my winter clothes. Going to dig out the fans tomorrow because there is no way we'll tolerate 80 degrees without them. Poor dogs haven't even had a chance to shed and they're burning up.

I am honestly enjoying it. But we don't usually see this until May, except like I said an occasional day here and there. It's letting me get a bunch of the yard work done early......and I'll be able to start tackling the family room this week. But is it just me or is it giving anyone else an uneasy feeling? I dunno if I expect winter to give us one huge smack in the face just as we think this is gonna last or what.

flutterby

Fly away!
We're at 57 degrees, but we had storms move through, complete with tornado sirens and ping pong size hail in some areas nearby.

Our area could use a little less rain. Every time it rains now we have flash flood and aerial flood warnings. My yard has been sopping wet for a year. The kind of wet that sucks at your shoes even in the nicely grassed areas.

I broke out my spring clothes and jammies last week. We didn't really have spring last year either, but at least we had winter. Bugs, fleas, mosquitoes are all going to be horrible this year.

donna723

It's been like that here too. It was around 80 degrees today and supposed to be even warmer tomorrow! Even with a fan on it got a little warm in the house today but I'm determined not to turn the air conditioner on yet! Hard to believe that it's just the middle of March! My flowers are coming up, the trees are budding out, everybodys fruit trees and Bradford pear trees are blooming. One good thing about having such a short, warm winter is that my gas bill for heating was about half of what it was last year for this same time period. The bad thing though is that if we have a really warm winter, it means that the wasps, hornets, fleas and ticks will be really bad this summer!

DammitJanet

Yeah I am really worried that because of how warm our winter has been just how hot our summer is going to be. Now I would be thrilled if we had both a mild winter and a mild summer but I just cant see that in the cards. Definitely going to stock up on the flea killer.

H

HaoZi

Of course the colder weather will be back just in time for Kiddo's spring break. *sigh*

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
An old fireman told us that because of the mild winter, we are in for a very dry summer. Not sure how that works, but he's an old guy and for some reason everyone believes his word as gospel.

I am not prepared for hot weather. Warmer, yes, hot no. It's supposed to be up near 80 today and I'm wearing pants (too soon for capris and I don't want my knee showing yet). My office will be cool but I'm prepared to pull out the fan for sleeping tonight.

The bugs and peepers are out, my allergies are insane, the dogs are actually shedding like mad and they are non shedding dogs, or are supposed to be, it's nuts. I'm glad the heat is off at least.

Well, enjoy your hot March day!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ugh.

I wanted to wear capris Saturday. Ended up having to wear shorts because NONE of my capris fit... I just can't squeeze into a size 6, my hips are bigger now. 10 is about the minimum and that's low rise. (Then again, I've packed on 2 whole lbs)... I did have one pair of huge shorts so I was good to go, but it wasn't quite warm enough for that.

The heat is still on in my office, so I am in jeans, sandals and a thin t-shirt. Sweating.

The insulation in my bedroom is so good that I actually get cold after about 10 min in there, unless I have both windows and the door open. We had all the upstairs doors open all weekend. So pretty.

Interestingly - I have NO ALLERGIES this year. NONE. I think it's hormones? because I have HORRIBLE hay fever. Hmm.

I have almost no "summer clothes" because they are all pre-preggers, and though I've only gained about 2 lbs, my hips are rearranging themselves. SO... Thirft store time...

muttmeister

It was in the 80s here all last week. My daffodils are blooming, my red bud tree is blooming, fruit trees are starting to bloom...and of course it's all at least a month early and we're bound to have some more cold weather somewhere along the line so a lot of plants will be ruined and probably no fruit this year. I did plant some leaf lettuce and radishes last week. They were on sale 3 packages for $1 and they will take some cold so I may have some early produce. If they don't make it I'll only be out a dollar so I thought it was worth a try. We've avoided the tornadoes so far but we are having thunder and rain as I write this. It is supposed to be cooler this week ... only 60s and 70s abut that is still way above average. If this is a foretaste of summer it looks like the money I saved on heat this winter will be going to pay for air conditioning this summer. You can't win.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've slept with my fan on high in the window all week. lol So far I've not had to turn on either the ceiling fans or a box fan downstairs, just having most of the windows open has been enough.....although at times I was tempted. Last night I was tempted.......which is why I looked at the temperature. I couldn't figure out if it was just me being hot or if it was really hot, turned out it was really hot.

My daffodils have all bloomed. Tulips are rapidly following suit. I dunno what kind of blooming trees they are (mother in law told me once but I forget the name) but they're all over the neighborhood.....are in full bloom and I woke up this morning congested and sneezing my head off, with an allergy pill.

I haven't planted anything yet. Still have to finish pulling weeds out in the back yard, then build the raised beds.

Rowdy is thrilled because every day except when it's raining he's out of his kennel and twice he got to be out all day without being on his lead because we were in the yard working.

I forgot...............LADY BUGS! Is anyone having an issue with lady bugs?? They're currently driving me nuts. I pick up a drink, there is a lady bug in it. Travis went to eat his meal, there is a ladybug crawling on his plate........ I haven't had them be an issue in the spring before. It's not droves of the things....actually that would be easier to deal with I'd just vacuum the lil buggers up.....just enough to drive you a little crazy and be a royal pain.

llamafarm

I think I am missing enjoying spring because I am awaiting the return of winter! The lilac leaves are opening and I still am in denial that spring is here! It is weird! I am originally from upstate New York so am used to a lot of snow, and weather lasting into spring. I just wrap my head around 80 degrees on March 20th (prediction for tomorrow).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
No ladybugs here yet, but we have daffodils and crocuses, and the rose bushes (OK, rose sticks) out front are about 8 feet tall - from less than 1 foot before March STARTED...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
llamafarm, trust me, it's never like this in ohio in march. lol Which is why I'm uneasy. I dunno whether to expect winter to slap us upside the head while laughing at us........or expect it to continue. Our seasons have been messed up for about 2 yrs. Last year we didn't get spring. We went from winter to summer, bam! But winter hung on forever.

Imitation ladybugs huh? Well, they're annoying. I'm used to dealing with them in fall, and that isn't much since I moved to this house. Where katie lives.......they're smothered with them every single fall, inside and out.

Well.........time to start the spring cleaning...........

T

TeDo

I was thinking of starting this thread last week. We have been between 75-85 for a week now. . . . and I'm in Minnesota. This is just NOT normal. We usually have the entire month of January pretty much below zero but we had 1 or 2 days. Last year we have over 5 feet of snow by the time spring came. This year we only got about 5 inches spread over the entire winter. I shoveled twice and never used my snow blower.

I REFUSE to turn the air on but it sure is HOT upstairs in our house. Even fans don't help cool us down to sleep. We have all woken up the last couple days needing a shower right away from sweating all night with each of us having our own fan blowing on high on us all night. I don't have any trees budding or leafing yet but I know it's coming.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Thing is, what most people don't get is that snow is GOOD for crops... And for keeping the mosquito population down... I would rather have at least one really really cold day to kill off the "skito" eggs.

Heather, I hear ya about the yard... Squoosh, squoosh here... I know it's good for crops but it hoovers for us.

witzend

It's snowing here again. Last Tuesday we had 4 inches. Lately it's a little too warm to stick, but really? It's so cold!

donna723

Something else I've noticed ... last week everybody was huddled inside with the heat on. This week, every time I go outside, I can hear lawn mowers running all around me! Just about everybody has had to cut their grass for the first time this week. Unheard of here for this time of year! My yard guys noticed how shaggy mine was getting and showed up to cut it a few days ago. I resisted cleaning out my flower beds because usually every time I do it early we get another freeze, but I went ahead and did it a few days ago. Everything's coming out and now I'm just waiting for them to get bedding plants in at the nursery.

I just love this time of year! But why is it that every time I get a plant or flower bed all cleaned out and put mulch around it very nicely, the very next time I look, there's a cat sleeping in it! I have a very old but gorgeous pink peony that comes up in the middle of the lawn from what used to be a flower bed. I never remember exactly where it is until I see those red shoots coming up! Now, just in a few days, it's grown to at least a foot tall! I cleaned out all around it, surrounded it with pine bark mulch and put a little white fence around it so the yard guys don't mow it down. And now there is always at least two cats snuggled in the mulch sleeping! Or they're lounging in the middle of the irises. I have wrought iron supports on my big covered porch and on the one nearest the steps I have three pots hanging there that I plant trailing petunias in every year. I went out the other day and every one of the pots had a cat curled up sleeping in it, like a little three-story kitty motel!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL donna, dunno, maybe cuz it smells good? Mine do it too.

I'd love to do the flower beds today..........but I'm trying to stay motivated on tackling the inside and catch up on cleaning since I was so busy last week. I'm weakening though, it's just soooooooo beautiful outside.

Nichole went out and bought flower baskets and hung them off her balcony. I told her she's done it now, we're in for a snow storm. lol Every time I tried to plant something before mother's day I paid for it with either a major freeze, snow, or an ice storm. I don't dare do it anymore much as I want to.