Despite my best efforts to remain happy, content, thankfuly, etc., this has turned into a real **** day. Our Nala dog has a vet appointment to look at the bite that Sophie dog gave her the other day - it is puffy and likely going to become infected if it isn't already. And I've added Sophie to the appointment now as she is doing horribly. She can barely lift her little head, she is weak and has a difficult time going up and down stairs. All she wants to do is sleep and eat (she is ravenously hungry - never enough food to satisfy her) and she peed on the other dogs' beds again. I spoke with our vet and they have agreed to allow me a payment plan but I have to put 50% down at the visit. I told them no heroics for Sophie, just tell me if we should put her down, wait it out - I don't want any medications, not tests, no nothing. My vet is BIG on tests and he's nuts about saving an animals life at all costs...well, I'm not. Sophie is 10, she's had a VERY good life with us. I know if she's dying that putting her down is the right thing to do, but still. And then I think of how difficult child will be, and H. They love Sophie so much and the last time we had to put an animal down, over 10 years ago, it was me. It's always me that has to make the tough decisions and H made sure to guilt me over it. I don't need that. My heart is already aching.