What a **** day

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, they are Chris. Last night was the first night with the Tramadol and it wasn't very helpful. Sigh.

The vet just called with the test results. In addition to extraordinarily high bilirubin in her blood and urine, she tested positive for lymes. So, her liver is definitely failing, though the vet said considering her past health issues, he's surprised at how well she's doing so who knows...

I'm heading over to get the antibiotics for the lymes - that at least may help some with her overall fatigue and strange walking. I will admit, I am sad and worried for her, but I almost wish they had said it's time, Know what I mean??? I just hate to see her suffer and watching her is painful for us, especially difficult child (who was balling in the vets office yesterday - BEFORE they even looked at Sophie!!).

TerryJ2

Lyme Disease? What do you know.
Well, I'm glad she was checked for it. And glad you are getting her antibiotics.
It does cause neurological damage and arthritis, so you may need other medications ... just a warning.
I'm sending even more hugs and good thoughts your way.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It's not exactly Lyme, but some type of tic borne disease.

When Nala had Lyme she couldn't walk or go up or down stairs. I'm glad I allowed them to do the bloodwork because this is at least something that can be easily treated.

The vet told me if I wanted to treat the liver issues he would have to put sophie under and get a liver biopsy, ugh. Then they treat her by suppressing her cortisol production but she would need weekly blood tests to check her levels. Ummmm, no.

Thanks for all the thoughts and hugs, much appreciated.

buddy

didn't mean LIKE that she was sick, just glad they found something that might help. I'm sorry. My Buddy is old and doesn't seem to be in pain but clearly is slower and not how he was just two years ago. It is hard to watch it go on for a long time. I know a decision will have to be made if he gets to the point he is suffering. I just hate that though.

I pray she feels better on the antibiotics. give her extra pets and scratches for me.

TerryJ2

I agree, I wouldn't put her under for a biopsy, either. You were right ... your vet is really into detailed info and tests.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I agree, I wouldn't put her under for a biopsy, either. You were right ... your vet is really into detailed info and tests.

He seriously is like a mad scientist at times, I swear! I know he's actually a caring person and loves animals, but jeez, really? A biopsy on her liver? Really? That seemed a two bit too much to me, especially considering no matter what the biopsy says, liver failure is fatal.

tiredmommy

I'm sorry, Jo. Give her a big hug and a special pup treat for me. I hope the medications make her feel more comfortable.