What a morning!

TerryJ2

And it's not over yet.

husband got it full in the face this a.m.. difficult child wouldn't take his pill and husband worked on him for almost 45 min. Then difficult child went into a rage and broke his plate and glass, which husband had brought to his rm so he can eat with-the pill (he still can't swallow pills).
husband skipped his a.m. mtng but had to go to work, so we took away difficult child's wrestling guys and told him he could get them back when he took his pill (actually, I think that's what threw him into the rage).

He came downstairs and upended husband's La-z-boy chair and told me to shut up (I think I said Good Morning.) He's up in his rm now, reading, but still cranky. He said he took the pill (off the floor) so I'm waiting to see if it kicked in. (And if he told the truth.)

difficult child and easy child had choc Malt-o-Meal last night and I wasn't paying any attention, as husband and I had gone out for our date night. I thought it was just for easy child. difficult child absolutely cannot have wheat. I had gotten all of it out of the house but he always hated Malt-o-Meal so kept it on the shelf. I'd forgotten how fickle kids can be.

Plus, the schlera of his eyes are all red from chlorine in the pool yesterday and he looks like some evil creature in a movie.

I've got 15 min. to get him to calm down so we can go to his orientation at school.
Wish me luck!

P.S. I am reading The Manipulative Child (recommended by one of you) and boy, are we on every page!

Andy

Wow, what a way to start the morning. It does help though to know that it was the Malt O Meal that probably set this off. Makes it easier to stay calm.

I hope the pill takes effect soon. How long does the wheat stay in the system causing this behavior?

I am glad the Manipulative Child book is proving helpful. It was controversial because of the title when I introduced it. I am glad you gave it a chance. One of those books that even if you don't implement their suggestions it opens your eyes to a few things. I wish I had it when my kids were younger.

TerryJ2

Thanks, and especially thank you Andy, for recommending the book.

We need to have a clearcut amt of time to give difficult child his pill, and a clearcut consequence if he doesn't take it in that amt of time. If he rages, so be it.

We made it to school on time. difficult child is in Safety Patrol training so I snuck home to get my reading glasses and license, because I switched purses last night. (I hate it when that happens.)

I think he stayed up half the night doing something. easy child said she has run into him in the hallway a cpl times recently, once about 2 a.m. when she had to go to the bathroom. So I'm not sure I should blame this all on wheat. I'm wondering if I should set my alarm for 1 a.m. or something to check on him.

I wanted so badly to ask another mom out to lunch at school today but I don't want anyone there to know about the neighbors calling the police. She has a son who is autistic and she is a great help. I can't wait until difficult child changes schools next yr and I can talk to people. (Of course, then I'll meet people there and won't be able to talk to them.) I just don't need "perv" and "police" flying through the hallways.

I only have one friend locally who knows everything, and of course husband is sick of talking about it.

Thank you all for being here!

Well, back to school. The kids are playing kickball and the moms all brought food.

Josie

I'm not sure what he might be doing in the middle of the night but I can tell you if my daughter ate Malt O Meal, she might act like that.

She just went to her grandmothers for 10 days. They were supposed to maintain her diet. When she got back, she had a scowl on her face from the minute she walked in. I swear she was scowling in her sleep when I checked on her. After 3 days, it is gone. She spent the whole time in her room refusing to do anything.

We pretty much stay away from difficult child and avoid conflict when she has had wheat. I do try to make the consequences tough enough that she will want to avoid them in the future.

I've probably told you this before, but I had some wheat by mistake once after starting this diet. I was weepy over nothing, extremely easily angered, and laid on the couch for several days. I didn't do violence but I did yell alot. I knew it was the wheat but I couldn't help it. It was awful.

I really think they can't help it when they have wheat. To me, the biggest offense is that she actually eats it any way sometimes.

TerryJ2

Well, he ate wheat today ... they had a cookout at school and he ate a hotdog with-bun, and stole a donut hole. :(

TerryJ2

He also got into an argument with-his friends and told he didn't care what the f*** I told him.
Looks like we'll be stripping his room to the lightbulbs tonight.

OpenWindow

I thought my morning was bad. All difficult child did was throw a pillow at me and call me an idiot. Oh, and he did chest-bump me.

Since we've put the alarm on difficult child's door and the remote part in our room, we can tell when he gets up at night.

It's so hard to keep food from them. Dairy can set off my difficult child, but the other kids love milk so we keep it in the fridge. He sneaks it all the time, as well as cheese. Some people lock up their food, but my husband refuses.

OpenWindow

We're waiting for him to rip it off, but he hasn't yet. It is screwed in to the doorframe and door, so pulling it out wouldn't be all that easy, but very possible. In our case, I think he knows that he has to keep it on since DHS has been here. There's a little box up at the top of his doorway and one attached at the top of the door. When he opens it, it sounds off in a little remote box plugged into our wall. I'm not sure what the name is, since husband bought it and installed it. I'll ask him tonight - he got it at Home Depot.

Wiped Out

Staff member
What a morning, what a day. I read in your other thread he is sleeping now, you must be ready to crash yourself!