What a shock! NOT. Susan Boyle diagnosed with ...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Beat me to it. I just came here to post that. As a female with AS, I'm glad to see her as an example in addition to Temple Grandin.

BusynMember

Interesting and, although I didn't think of it...of course!!! :)

I think Adam Lanzy (or whatever his name was) had lots more wrong with him than Aspergers. Unfortunately, yeah, his diagnosis plays into stereotypes that some people have.

Love Temple Grandin! Brilliant woman!

TerryJ2

Yes, I agree that Lanza had more wrong with him, too, but anyone who just accepts news stories at face value will automatically think that's the only thing he had. :(

svengandhi

H and I watched Susan Boyle on Youtube, looked at each other and said "Aspie." I guess, though, if you haven't spent time around Aspies, you might not recognize it.

As for Adam Lanza, he clearly had a lot more going on. My Aspie likes shooting and has some guns (which I am supposed to refer to as "firearms" and not "weapons") but he's not obsessive or violent. I find it really offputting that they just show that one awful picture of Adam Lanza. I know he did horrible things and it's not easy child, but I have sympathy for him. He must have been so tormented in his young life. I admit I cried for the waste of his life as well. His mother, on the other hand, HER I can't understand.