What are the chances?

Kathy813

Staff member
My husband is scheduled for a colonoscopy/endoscopy on Monday. It was moved up because of a cancellation at the last minute.

Someone has to drive him and I can't since we just went back to school on Thursday and I'm not at a point where I have something I can leave my students to do in my absence. Most subs don't remember enough Alg 2 to help so I have to leave a worksheet or review sheet when I'm gone.

easy child can't do it since that is her first day of classes. That leaves difficult child.

Did I mention that he has to be at the hospital at 6 a.m.? :doctor:

So he called difficult child to ask if she would take him. Her first question was, "Will you fill my gas tank?" She operates on a strict what's in it for me basis.

He told her yes and suggested that she spend the night on Sunday so he can make sure she gets up and is ready to leave at 5:30.

Then she asked, "Do I have to stay and wait?" She wasn't thrilled to hear the answer was yes.

So let's lay odds on her canceling at the last minute or getting sick.

I'd put it at 3:1. :rofl:

~Kathy

everywoman

Put me down on that bet. She has to stay in your home, get up at 5:30, and stay and wait----way too much stress for her. (or at least it would be for my difficult child)

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'd give her enough gas to get husband to the hospital and back - and then when the task was completed - I'd take her for a full tank so she could drive as farrrrrr away from me as she wanted to.

:slap:

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'd remind her that it is the right thing to do for the man who has done so much for her.
The worst that will happen is she bails which you expect anyhow.

Kathy813

Staff member
Well, if she does flake out on him, I'll just call in at the last moment and tell the substitute to have them do busy work (like a page of problems from last semester) which I hate to do. He wouldn't be a happy camper to go through all of that prep for nothing.

I'm with Suz, though. Let's hope she surprises us all.

Keep your fingers crossed.

~Kathy

saving grace

Fingers crossed that she comes through and a double cross that test results are good, I just went through both of those tests, the endo is fine its the prep for the colon that is NO fun at all

Grace

DDD

Did poor husband have to drink a bunch of that disgusting fake citrus
tasting junk or was he allowed to take pills to prepare for the
test?

I know this sounds crude, Kathy, but I volunteered to take a friend and stay with her until she was home safe and sound. To
this day she isn't aware of it but I had to get the upholstery
cleaned the next day. Since that experience we take a thick
towel in the car as a cushion for partially numb behinds.

I'm hoping she comes through like an adult, too. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
DDD, thanks for that tip...I'm supposed to go sometime this spring. Excellent.

kathy - sending positive vibes that she comes through for you all!

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
So....I'm thinking since I don't see an update from you this morning, that you're with husband at the doctors.

If that is indeed the case, I'm sorry difficult child didn't come thru for you and her dad.

When I put myself in her shoes at this moment, I wouldn't want that guilt & shame for any price!

Peace

Kathy813

Staff member
I did end up taking today off but it's really not difficult child's fault. Here's what happened. . .

When husband first asked difficult child on Friday if she would take him she said yes. She later told me that she had a psychiatrist appointment at 10:15 today and asked if that would be a problem.

I said no since husband had the first appointment of the morning and I knew from past experience that it shouldn't take longer than 30 for the procedure and then another 30 for wake up time. I didn't think to mention this to husband.

I also thought that if things took longer than they should difficult child could call and reschedule the appointment. What I didn't know is that she was out of medications and it took a long time to reschedule an appointment in the health clinic.

So, anyway, difficult child did come over last night and did get up at 5:30 to take husband to the hospital. I laid back down to get another 15 minutes of sleep before I had to get up for school and then the phone rang.

I heard husband yelling and difficult child crying as I tried to figure out what was going on (while still half asleep). difficult child had told husband about her appointment and he was telling her that she had to cancel it and she was upset because she needed her medications. I tried to calm them both down but husband was really off the wall. I think it might have been some anxiety about the procedure that was setting him off.

So I told them that I would call in sick and meet difficult child at the hospital so she could go to the doctor appointment. I emailed school because I didn't want to have to talk to the person that gets the subs. She called me right back and fussed at me about not calling in advance since she had 21 people out. I explained that I didn't know in advance and she calmed down since the last time that I had to call in at the last minute was 5 years ago.

She was able to find me a sub so all is well. husband is sound asleep. We were back home by 9:30. It was probably for the best, though, that I was there because he had a much harder time coming out of the sedation this time and I ended up pretty much having to dress him. That would have freaked difficult child out.

But I have to give her props. She did what we asked and even called after her doctor's appointment to see how it went. She is coming back over tonight to do laundry and stay with husband while I go off to my graduate class.

DDD ~ He had to drink the nasty stuff. He said he wasn't given pills as an option.

~Kathy

Star*

call 911........call 911
Tell him if he had been nice to the child that was trying to help him - he wouldn't have had to drink the nasty stuff. lol

That was his payment for being anxiety ridden and going off on her - like....yeah like she does sometimes - ??? NOW he knows what it's like to be a difficult child - a stellar save it for the right moment - reminder.

Glad to hear everyone is okay!

DDD

Sounds like a fairly happy ending to "A Day With The Family".
DDD

PS: Someone on the Board gave me the name of the pills about two
years ago. I AM going to find an MD who "knows" that pills work
because really, honestly, truthfully...that liquid stuff makes
me barf! Then, after I toss my cookies, I worry that my system
hasn't gotten cleaned out enough and that causes anxiety. What
a quandry!

on the other hand, that sound sleep at home after the procedure is the closest
thing to heaven I ever experience. LOL