What are the School Lunches Like in Your District?

susiestar

Roll With It
I saw something about school lunches online the other day and it made me wonder what the school lunch is like at your schools?

I don't always like the main entree option at our schools, but I totally LOVE the fruits and veggies. About 15 yrs ago some parents got upset about the lunches and a district committee made largely of parents was created to look into the quality of the lunches. Three years later some amazing changes were put into place. Most are still there because the KIDS have fits when they change.

The only thing that did not stick was having every item made with wheat be made only with 100% whole wheat. Now it has to be whole wheat for the bread/buns/muffins, but they do use reg flour for the cookies and the very infrequent cobbler.

From elem to high school, the kids get 2 hot veggies though they only have to take one. Then at the end of the lunch line there are little cups with clean raw fruits/veggies and little cups of applesauce (sometimes for the applesauce, always for the others). The kids have to take 2 but they can take up to one of each or if there is a surplus up to 2 of each.

While every family is asked to fill out the free lunch paperwork, every child in our district can have a free breakfast. Up through middle school they also have free lunch for every student. Parents income does not matter. parents CAN choose to pay if they wish, and a few do, but only a very few. The school has had grants from several sources to help fund this because they feel it makes a big difference in student test scores AND in how the kids behave. Across the board there are fewer fights and bad behavior from the kids if they have had a healthy breakfast and lunch, so our administration and the parent group that actively does fundraising (a local foundation to benefit the schools - they do major fundraising, find and get grants, and do long term budget planning for the district) work to make sure the meals are funded for each child.

Are the lunches healthier in your schools than they used to be? Or are the what is shown on some of the shows like that food revolution show with that chef (can't remember his name but can see his face in my mind, sigh)? I would be furious if they were counting french fries as veggies here, but they couldn't get away with it here. The kids wouldn't tolerate it.

Kids here younger than Jess have always had these options. When they started there was a lot of grumbling about how the school was going to waste a fortune throwing away the veggies and fruit because the kids would not eat any of them. I remember hearing parents ranting about what a waste it was to buy the veggies etc... Only it didn't happen that way. The kids were a little slow to try some things, but with some gentle encouragement an teachers taking some time to introduce some of the foods in class if the kids had not seen them before, the kids soon were asking for seconds and even thirds on the fresh fruits AND the veggies. One day I was listening to a mom rant about how her kids were being 'forced' to try 'weird food' like arugula and fresh spinach in salad instead of iceberg lettuce. Suddenly one of her kids said, "Mom, we LIKE them. How come you keep telling us that we can't have them at home?" I swear you could hear a pin drop because she had been incredibly vocal with her protests against the changes.

It actually changed the produce selection at the area grocery stores. They now stock a much wider variety of fresh produce because our kids like more types of fruits and veggies.

Have any of your schools made changes like this? Are your schools still counting ketchup and a pickle slice as a serving of veggies? I was a bit surprised when I learned that some of the schools in the cities around us are still doing that.

DammitJanet

Well I wasnt sure so I went and looked up the menu for Monkey's school. I will list it;

Lunches: Fish SticksCorn Dog
Baked Beans
Coleslaw
Applesauce
Skim or Unflavored 1% Milk

General Tso`s Chicken
Beef Rib on Bun
Oriental Rice
Egg Roll
Oriental Vegetables
Peach Cup

Turkey with-Gravy
Baked Ham
Cornbread Stuffing
Sweet Potato Soufflé
Green Beans
Cranberry Sauce
Mixed Fruit Cup

BBQ Chicken
Sloppy Joe on Bun
Creamed Potatoes
Mustard Greens
School Baked Roll
Fresh Orange

Cheeseburger on a Bun
Chef Salad with- Cheddar & Ham
Baby Carrots with-Ranch Dressing
Oven Baked Crispy Fries
Baked Apples

Breakfasts range:

• Scooby Doo Grahams or Cereal

• Juice

• Skim or Unflavored 1% Milk

• Fish Sticks

• Corn Dog

• Baked Beans

• Coleslaw

• Applesauce

• Skim or Unflavored 1% mother in law
      k

• TUESDAYNovember 19, 2013
    BREAKFAST
    • Strawberry Pop Tart or Cereal

• Juice

• General Tso`s Chicken

• Beef Rib on Bun

• Oriental Rice

• Egg Roll

• Oriental Vegetables

• Peach Cup

• Skim or Unflavored 1% mother in law
      k

• WEDNESDAYNovember 20, 2013
    BREAKFAST
    • Blueberry Breakfast Stick or Cereal

• Juice

LUNCH
    • Turkey with-Gravy

• Baked Ham

• Cornbread Stuffing

• Sweet Potato Soufflé

• Green Beans

• Cranberry Sauce

• Mixed Fruit Cup

• THURSDAYNovember 21, 2013
    BREAKFAST
    • Maple Waffle or Cereal

• Juice

LUNCH
    • BBQ Chicken

• Sloppy Joe on Bun

• Creamed Potatoes

• Mustard Greens

• School Baked Roll

• Fresh Orange

• FRIDAYNovember 22, 2013
    BREAKFAST
    • Super Donut with-Graham Crackers or Cereal

• Juice

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
Lunch is in my opinion crazy expensive for what you get in our district. 2.65 a day and breakfast is served for an additional sum. My kids don't usually buy the breakfast because it's expensive too. When difficult child was in K and 1st grade it was only 25 cents, then 50 cents, now somewhere over a dollar. Some examples from this week's menu are Corn Dogs, Hash Browns, Fresh Fruit one day, Softshell Taco, Corn & Apple. Deli Ham, Baked Beans, Fresh Fruit. French Toast, Sausage, Juice, Applesauce, Broccoli.To me it doesn't sound like much food, but neither of my kids are generally hungry at lunch anyway due to their medications. Personally, I don't feel deli ham, corn dogs, and hash browns are all that "healthy." Seems they had more choices a few years ago, but we were in a bigger district then.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Here's a sample of ours... It's waaaaay expensive in my opinion. And a traveling taco isn't nutritious... FRITOS?

Purchase any $2.80 'Pick a Meal Deal' and get an extra sandwich for $1.50.
'Pick a Meal Deal' with Milk: $2.80
À la Carte Milk: $0.55
À la Carte Entree: $2.45

MONDAY
Pick ONE Entrée
Mac & Cheese and Roll
Spicy Chicken/Bun
Soft Pretzel/Cheese Cup
Creek Sub
Chef Salad and Goldfish Crackers*
PBJ Uncrustable
Pick up to TWO veggies
Steamed Broccoli
Tossed Salad
Fresh Baby Carrots/Dip
Pick up to TWO fruits
Chilled Diced Peaches
Fresh Fruit
Fruit Juice Raisins
Pick ONE Milk

TUESDAY
Pick ONE Entrée
Traveling Taco with Soft
Pretzel Nugget, Fritos,
Seasoned Beef, Salsa and
Shredded Lettuce
Cheeseburger/Bun
Soft Pretzel/Cheese Cup
Chipotle Turkey Wrap
PBJ Uncrustable
Pick up to TWO veggies
Refried Beans
Romaine or Tossed Salad
Fresh Baby Carrots/Dip
Pick up to TWO fruits
Strawberry Cup
Fruit Juice Raisins
Fresh Fruit
Pick ONE Milk

WEDNESDAY
Pick ONE Entrée
French Bread Pizza
Pulled Pork/Bun
Soft Pretzel/Cheese Cup
Creek Sub
PBJ Uncrustable
Pick up to TWO veggies
Tossed Salad
Corn
Fresh Baby Carrots/Dip
Pick up to TWO fruits
Seasonal Fruit
Raisins
Fruit Juice
Pick ONE Milk

THURSDAY
Pick ONE Entrée
Chicken Patty/Bun
Chicken Nuggets/Roll
Soft Pretzel/Cheese Cup
Chipotle Turkey Wrap
PBJ Uncrustable
Pick up to TWO veggies
Whipped Potatoes and
Gravy
Grape Tomatoes
Tossed Salad
Fresh Baby Carrots/Dip
Pick up to TWO fruits
Fresh Fruit
Trail Mix
Fruit Juice
Pick ONE Milk

FRIDAY
Pick ONE Entrée
Pancakes or Waffles with
Syrup and Scrambled Eggs
Mini Cheeseburgers
Soft Pretzel Cheese Cup
Creek Sub
Chef Salad and Goldfish Crackers
PBJ Uncrustable
Pick up to TWO veggies
Sweet Potato Waffles or
Crispy Tri Tators
Tossed Salad
Baby Carrots/Dip
Pick up to TWO fruits
Chilled Mixed Fruit
Fresh Fruit
Fruit Juice
Raisins
Pick ONE Milk

Alternate Menu
Big Daddy Pizza $3.25 À la Carte $3.00
Clux Delux $3.75 À la Carte $3.55

BusynMember

The only kid still in regular school is Jumper and she told me last year that she usually skips lunch because it's "gross." This year she comes home for lunch. Seniors are allowed to go off campus to eat unless they have serious behavioral issues. I asked her today what kinds of choices she has at school and she made a face and said, "Just the smell is gross. I don't look at it." I really doubt it's THAT bad!

KTMom91

I don't know about junior high or high school, but the elementary kids get two choices of entrée every day. Yesterday it was a choice between cheeseburgers or corn dogs. They advertise as being more healthy, but neither of those choices sound very healthy to me.

susiestar

Roll With It
Our district really is different I guess. About ten years ago there was a statewide mandate for each district to form a parent-school committee with parents, teachers/admin and a registered dietician/nutritionist to examine and define the school lunches. Many districts had hissy fits over it because they didn't want parental involvement and didn't think it was needed. Ours had one already in place and was found to have better meal options than some of the most expensive private schools in the area - ones that really marketed that they had the best nutrition in their lunches in the state.

Our schools after elem post a menu and it usually says assorted fresh fruits/veggies but the assortment is quite varied. Plu they have at least entrees for the reg meal and once you hit jr high there are four or five options for the entree that you can choose from with-o paying the ala carte price. Portions can't be that skimpy or awful because my pickiest eater (thank you) is usually not starving or even super hungry when he gets home from school. He prefers the school lunch and always have, at least as long as he had another choice besides the uncrustables pbj sandwiches. Which are not served in our elems because peanuts are not allowed in the schools, not for any reason. Before that rule, thank you would refuse to eat if served an uncrustable. He calls them frozen slimy playdough, lol.

I find it interesting how the definition of 'healthy' varies so much, esp between parents and the schools. Of course I was in school when they decided that pickles and ketchup on a burger counted as two veggies as long as you had three slices of pickles and 1 teaspoon of ketchup. I thought it was nuts even back then, lol.

Our high school kids (grades 10-12) have off campus lunch mainly because the cafeteria cannot produce enough food to feed everyone, not even after the remodel a few years back. They just don't have the capacity. Plus there are so many restaurants near the high school that would go out of business if the kids had to eat at school that the community gets upset when the topic of closing campus for lunch comes up.