What are we having for Thanksgiving???

Thanksgiving Leftover Plan

With Thanksgiving around the corner, I thought I would share
what to do with leftovers. When we have potatoes, turkey,
stuffing and veggies left over, we simply buy piecrusts.
Unfold one sheet. Using only half of the full circle of dough,
put your combination of turkey and leftovers in the middle and
along the sides Take the other empty half and fold over.
Pinch the edges and you have a crescent shaped turkey pot pie.
We simply freeze them on cookie sheets, and when frozen, we
place them in a resealable bag. We can have Thanksgiving
throughout the year simply by opening a can of gravy and
baking our little pot pie. Makes short work of any leftovers
and it's marvelous.

K

Kjs

I haven't been invited to any family in about 10 years!! They all have grown, married kids and grand kids.

I cook. Traditional menu. easy child has a friend (15 years now since he was 6) who is hispanic and his mom doesn't make Thanksgiving meal. He has spent many, many years with us on holidays and birthdays. He loves my stuffing. He may be at his girlfriend's family, but I will make a special dish of stuffing just for him. He is my 3rd son. This boy moved away with his girlfriend a few years ago. He called me on Christmas...knowing easy child wasn't home. Just to tell me he missed me. A very special young man. He moved back home last spring.

THIS year I work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night from midnight to noon. So, I'll have turkey ready for husband to put in the oven and when i get home at noon, I'll finish up, we'll eat..watch football and go to bed. (husband cleans up..such a deal)

I cook way too much. But love those left overs.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I normally cook and whether I do or not this year depends on how fast the gas company can come out and hook up my stove top again which I had to remove due to difficult child's zeal on home remodeling which went from taking up the rug in the dining room (my request) to partially demolishing my kitchen counter.

My new counter is in, and I will have water today, but omg, I don't want him near the gas hookup.

We have just a traditional dinner, Turkey with garlic mashed potatoes, brocolli, Brussel Sprouts (for me and difficult child because SO and easy child wont touch them cause they say they taste like smelly gym socks) and fresh Cranberry Sauce.

Marcie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcie Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">omg, I don't want him near the gas hookup. </div></div>

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Yeah, note to self "Do NOT make any open ended statements around a difficult child, as in someday I would like one of those Corian countertops" Because it is going to cost you a chunk of change when you find out that "someday" is "today" according to a difficult child line of thinking..

Marcie

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Looks like I am going shopping today!!!

I am making my list right now, in between growling at the kids... husband just left to get my studs put on car... yes they allow that here in Idaho-ho-ho-ho, we don't get our roads plowed out sometimes for a day or two and they don't salt... we put studs on my car because we take mine up the mountain and on long drives... with the kids!!!

Anyway so I am getting the list together... Oh and I just tweaked my medications!!! and the kids are attacking each other...

what to make... besides a Ativan, Clonidine, Diazapam- Soup for husband and myself!!! JK...

I told therapist that and she found that pretty funny...

Grocery List:
Turkey

tiredmommy

We're going to mother in law's this year. I'll make and bring the pies.
Then, I'll have the in-laws over next Saturday for lasagna and board games. They bring the wine!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I want marshmallows, on a fork, with a bic lighter, in the den.

I want to put my feet up, and pretend someone else with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) sees all the filth in my kitchen, cleans out the cupboards while the turkey is cooking, wipes down, in and outside all the appliances, scrubs the floor, washes the rugs and hangs them out to dry the remembers to replace them so that 100 foot trails aren't left on the clean floor.

I want the meal to just *poof* on the table and then I want to get up from the table, leave all the food there and go lay on the couch watching Santa Claus is Coming to Town followed by A Charlie Brown Christmas take a nap, wake up and go scrounge around in the fridge make a left over turkey samich, with Miracle whip, warm some mashed potatoes, cranberry jelly from the crystal turkey container, and eat myself stupid on traditional pumpkin pie with more cool whip than pie. I want the left overs put up without my help, I want the kitchen and the turkey roaster put back clean and dry for the next huge meal, and I wish more than anything in the world that I could be with my family in Ohio with my family from here.

Past that - it looks like Swansons heat and eat TV dinner after voluntering at the Salvation Army, no difficult child, no family and me and the dog in the yard raking leaves.

ScentofCedar

Well, husband and I are down South for the Winter, again.

Those of you still able to celebrate with your families, cherish that ~ whatever your traditional meal involves, there is a kind of spiritual nourishment that comes from seeing the faces you love around your table that we will not be privy to again this year.

I think this will be the last Holiday we spend alone. husband seems to be okay with it, but I miss our family very much.

Very much.

Having said that (and I woke up this morning thinking about such things, ladies ~ husband is going to get an earful later!), we have already made the traditional turkey dinner once, and will make it again this Tuesday or Wednesday.

husband loves turkey.

(I really am quite upset with husband, the more I think about this family thing! Grrrr....)

We are going to dinner with some other couples who are down here without their children, too. It will be a Southern kind of Thanksgiving, with fried turkey. Each of the couples who are coming is bringing something, and I have been assigned the before-dinner munchies.

I started a thread on that, in fact.

The lady is a gourmet cook?

And I don't want to look like a dork on Thanksgiving. :smile:

The ladies here have come up with some wonderful ideas, but I am not sure yet which are the things I will bring.

What I wish I were doing is hosting a houseful.

Didn't we just have a thread on that, too?

About how important it is to begin picking up the threads of our lives and making meaning when children are no longer the centering force?

Well, I'm sure I probably said something positive or encouraging?

But whatever it was I said?

I did not mean it.

husband is going to be so in trouble when he wakes up.

Barbara

SRL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Loan_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I want the meal to just *poof* on the table and then I want to get up from the table, leave all the food there and go lay on the couch..
</div></div>

One year when I was still single my mom came for Thanksgiving and we ordered one of those precooked meals from a grocery store. It wasn't quite like having all the usual family dishes but it was pretty darn good. No mess to clean up. Afterwards we put our feet up and dug into a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream. (Neither of us drinks so you can imagine how far we got).

It was a fun T-giving, no fuss style.

Star*

call 911........call 911
SRL IS A GENIUS! sans the Baileys - nothing worse that a laughing, gassed Star spiraling out of control. I think they call that a comet and I don't want to change my name to be like the reindeer.

Perhaps a bottle of Port wine on the poop deck! Moose poop - that still kills me