What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

BusynMember

I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We're driving three hours to Illinois to stay with son and his wife (wife is expecting our first grandchild). We're only staying until Friday, but it should be a peaceful family gathering as there are so few of us. With my son Scott no longer a participating member of the family (rolling eyes), we have Hub, me, Lucas 14, and Nicole 11. They are all excited about seeing their brother (30) and their older sister (23). daughter in law and daughter are doing the cooking. Ex-hub and I are on great terms and he'll be there too. So will older daughter's SO, who is like a son to me--he's been around forever. Lucas (Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)) is good at family affairs, but spends a lot of time playing his big brother's videogames. Older son has every system there is and every game there is so Lucas has a blast. He usually cries when we have to leave--he is very attached to Mark. Nicole loves to help bake. She likes her much older sister-in-law and thinks her big sister Julie is the coolest person on earth, which is good for Julie's ego...lol. I'm sure hub and my son Mark and I will enjoy watching football as well as eating on T-day. Mark is a Bear fan/hub and I big Packer fans. We always have some good fun talking footaball.
I know some will have less happy holidays and my heart goes out to you. Trust me, I do feel a little sadness knowing that Scott won't be with us.
I wonder how much it will cost to fill our car with gas this year? LOL! Take care, all!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
MWM, Happy Thanksgiving to you also! Your trip and visit sound wonderful and full of joy, love and peace. I hope the gas prices don't hit you too hard! :shopping:

We were invited to my brother's on LI, but we've decided to stay home instead. Loco sister will be there and I am just not up for her faces and eyerolling and condescending manners towards me. Soooooo, easy child, difficult child & I will cook the Big Meal; mostly easy child and me because difficult child doesn't have much confidence in the kitchen when her sister the chef is around - but I will coaxe her into doing something great!

I also told her she could and should invite her boyfriend (Monkeyboy) :blah: over for dessert. He has no car, so maybe his parents will let him use theirs. I don't really want difficult child to have to drive and get him and then drive him home later - it's a 26 mile round trip and she has been going through so much gas as it is driving there every stinkin' night! :rolleyes:

We're having the typical Thanksgiving fare :thanksgiving2: and since our chimney is finally completed we may be able to have a little fire going in the morning as we watch the parade and pre-games (not that we're avid football people, but hey, it's Thanksgiving).

<span style="color: #660000">I wanted to add that you all will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow; that each one of you (us) feels at least one moment of peace and can find at least one thing to be thankful for and know that someone is thinking of you. I am so thankful for this board and all of you.</span> :thanksgiving1: :flower:

DammitJanet

Well it appears that it will just be husband, me, Billy, Cory and apparently Keyana here for Thanksgiving. We have had her here since last Friday and it seems that there is no end in sight. Not that I am complaining in the least!

Jamie has to work so that part of the family is out and Billy is now working for Radio Shack so he has to work all this upcoming weekend so we couldnt go up to Jamies.

We will just make the phone calls to wish all the assorted family a very good Thanksgiving!

I also want take this time to wish everyone here a very good Thanksgiving no matter how you celebrate it. I am so very thankful for everyone on this board.

everywoman

I will be going to my old maid sister's house. She lives in our family homestead. Preacher sister (yes, she really is a mininster), her husband, her grandchildren (the products of my gfgnephew who has been in jail for 25 years excepts for time out for child making), my younger sister and her husband and their 3 teens,me, husband, difficult child, pcdaughter and her new "boyfriend" who I have not met will be there. Old lady sister---she is 20 years older than I am will be in Kentucky visiting her gfgdaughter and gfggrandson. Old maid also invited sundry of others--my gfgbiomom and her sister and daughter, my brother, his wife, their teens and sister in law's mother---but unsure of whether they will be there or stay at mother in law's house. Plus I'm sure there will be others who need a place to go---LOL! That's my family---we were raised to take in all who needed comfort! (When you do this to the least of these...) So--we will expect somewhere between 15 and 25. That's not unusual.

I plan on making Paula Dean's sweet potato balls---with some minor variations. I am also making creamed cheese corn and buttermilk pies.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving as well...a peaceful couple of days. Some time for yourself. No meltdowns.
I truly am thankful for Conduct Disorders.com as well... all of you my friends.

:thanksgiving1: :thanksgiving2: :thanksgivingday:

We are hanging at the house... one of friends with no family here, "Uncle Todd" is coming over.
K is not manic and sleeping,but she is just weird... can not focus, can't stop moving, super emotional, very Tourretes like, or very depressed and negative about herself...

She actually got in trouble at school for the first time!!! TEE HEE... I want to give this another week, just to really see her in all her glory!!!Between her and the pup!!! and husband leaves next Monday...

So we are going to lay low for the next few days... lots of walks. Eating, football... i need to start cooking.

KFld

I have been invited to my sister in law's sisters house. easy child and I are going and I am really looking forward to it. I think that is exactly what I need right now. A nice traditional Thanksgiving with friends and family.

Hope everyone has a happy!!!!

goldenguru

Having the family to my house. Only about 10 of us - so not too many.

Most of my meal is made and in the fridge ready to warm up (except the turkey).

I have purposefully NOT allowed myself any Norman Rockwell expectations. What will be will be.

Enjoy the moment as best you can.

I'll add my thankful heart to those who count this 'home' a blessing.

Kinda funny story, my dad insisted on having Thanksgiving at his place (he does cook a mean turkey) although I pffered my place again and again as it is much larger. Besides, neither of my brothers have been over to see the place.

Nope, my dad says that brother Mike does not want to travel all the way to my place. Can we just do it at his place?

Sure. We'll all go to his little condo, where me, my 2 brothers, and my sister in law will squeeze onto his couch and hold our plates in our laps, and watch my dad go down on one knee and put his plate on the coffee table, no matter how many of us offer him a seat on the couch he will insist on kneeling. Only to give the show of ALL shows (I think I explained this once before) where he makes the face...the cringe of impending doom...signifying that he is about to stand up. But he won't stand until we are ALL looking at him.

Can't have it at MY place though. Mike doesn't want to travel.

Gee, dad, since Mike lives a mile away from you, why don't you guys just ride together?

Well, it's not really Mike. See, dad does not want to leave the comfort of HIS own home.

Sadly, I can SOOOOO relate. OK dad. Your little condo, it is.

So dad will make an awesome turkey, awesome gravy, awesome stuffing, not nearly enough mashed potatoes, and regular cranberry sauce from the can that has ridges in it when you slide it out. I will be bringing corn casserole (OMG yum), sweet potatoes, and some fudge. My brother Chris will bring a pie.

Copper and her boyfriend (the Leprechaun; boyfriend left lowercase so that we all know that we are referring to a boyfriend and NOT Black Friday) are volunteering. That's my girl.

Tink will be with the hillbillies. I mean, with her dad and his family.

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style="color: #660000">May everyone on this board have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving. Find something to be grateful for. My list can go on and on.</span></span>

By the way, MWM, Hiya from the Chicago west burbs! *waving*

Nice to know that your son Mark turned out ok, unlike his parents the Packer Fans.

:fan:

SRL

Currently I'm hiding the evidence (paper piles, laundry, general upheaval) of my current writing project from my mom who is due to arrive soon. :hammer:

Steely

Well, I have decided our Thanksgiving will be celebrated after all, just myself and Mat........and that we will just sit and watch movies, play games, and eat. I went and bought all the normal junkie T-Day stuff, turkey, biscuits, pies, chips and dip, etc - and Mat and I will have our own lil celebration stuffing our faces!
:thanksgiving:
As you know from my other post I was struggling with-out my family this year on what to do. But I decided, it was better to do something totally self indulgent, some sort of something, rather than sit at home feeling sad - so I "allowed" myself to buy tons of food, and I am going to "allow" myself to do nothing but eat, sleep, and watch movies. :wink: And Mat and I have a pact of being thankful all day with-no arguing!

So.......thank you guys for helping guide me into what felt right for me this year. You are wonderful.
:thanksgiving1:

No extended family for us. I plan on cooking the tradititonal meal, having wine, and enjoying the day. difficult child is coming over at 1, so we'll eat then. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.-Alyssa

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We are having Thanksgiving at my house. BUT the dinner will be served on Saturday instead of Thanksgiving Day in order for everyone in the family to be here.

The bonus with that is that I won't have easy child and Nichole having to hurry off to other family. Which means the dinner will able to be relaxed. So I'm breaking out the fine china, silver, and crystal this year. :smile: Dinner will be a formal affair, which means family members have to dress in their best.

:thanksgiving2: :thanksgiving1:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Happy Thanksgiving all! Tonight we are going to husband's brother's house for dinner. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving at my dad's, Friday night is a surprise 40th birthday party for a friend of ours. (LOL I am "hiding" all of the stuff at our house so when husband came home the other night he asked if we were having a party. There were 2 1/2 cases of beer in the kitchen). Saturday looks to be a shopping trip with difficult child to buy a suit for his Christmas dance.

Hope everyone has a calm holiday!