What Are You Guys Reading Lately???

DDD

I just finished two books that I learned about from our CD family.
Identical Strangers the book about twins separated as babies and then reunited as young adults was fascinating. I thought that many of you with adopted children should find it riveting. beautiful boy a Dad's story of his sons life pre and post addiction rang so true. I found that I felt many of the emotions again that I have relegated to past phases.

Anybody have any recommendations? DDD

trinityroyal

I usually have 3 or 4 books on the go at the same time.

I've just finished reading Dealing with Emotionally Explosive People by Dr. Albert J. Bernstein. It provides clear and concrete strategies for detaching from other people's drama.

For fun, I've just finished The Drowning Pool by Ross MacDonald. A delightful hard-boiled detective story. A real ripping yarn.

I've been reading another one by Dr. Bernstein called Neanderthals at Work. It's been a longstanding favourite and I re-read it whenever office politics are giving me fits. It helped me to resolve a potentially ugly situation with one of my clients without yelling on anyone's part. Whew!

And...I'm working my way through a biography of The Beatles.

Just got a new Lee Child and a new Joy Fielding, and I'm planning to start one of them tonight. Not sure which one though.

Trinity

Fran

Former desparate mom
I just finishe "Beach Road" by James Patterson. It was very good as far as suspenseful.
I am half way through "Thorn In My Pocket" by Temple Grandin's mother Eustacia Cutler. It's food for thought and refreshing to me. Reminds me that I am my child's first line of defense against a world that wants to put a child like mine in a category.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I always wondered about James Petterson. Is it a thriller type? I'm not much for those, but I see them all the time at the library. I prefer real life stories.

Abbey

mom_in_training

I am not into novels or anything like that. I would rather cross stitch or paint, Lol!!! But just finished the newest book from Dr Laura "Stop Whining, Start Living" I retain what makes sence to me and forget the rest and pass the book onto someone else.

Sara PA

I just got "The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food" by Jennifer 8. Lee (her middle name is Eight) and "Our Daily medications: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs" by Melody Petersen.

N

Nomad

How funny to see this thread just now.
I just started reading Skinny B (Rhymes with the word 'rich').
A friend gave it to me to read.
Goodness. "interesting" language. Not for the faint of heart.
Anyone else read this??????

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm so glad you started this thread DDD! I've been whining to husband that I've finished all my book club books and need something new. I just finished reading Double Bind and A Thousand Splendid Sons. I've also been reading a few books from Scholastic so I can have something to recommend to my students.

SRL

I'm currently reading "The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America". It's mostly boring reading, with some eye opening statistics and explanations sprinkled in.

I just finished "When Rabbit Howls" by Truddi Chase. True story, written by the victim of horrible child abuse, to the point where she developed better than 90 distinct personalities.

Pam R

Because we are going to raise grass fed cattle and meat chickens, my reading has been all non-fiction and mostly by Joel Salatin: Pastured Poultry Profits, Salad Bar Beef, You Can Farm, Holy Cows, etc.

Also recently read Omnivore's Dilemma, The Botany of Desire, A Place of My Own, and Second Nature, all by Michael Pollan. I want to read In Defense of Food, but have not found it yet.

Also read Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

And lots of anything on the subjects that I found online and printed out. Major research here. :))

Pam R.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Deb, James Patterson did "Kiss the Girls" which was made into a movie. They are suspense thrillers. They are great books on tape when driving long distances(such as I do on a regular basis). If you are looking for biographies or true life, try "Under The Banner of Heaven". Very eye opening. Highly recommend it. Starts a little dry but is very good.

Lothlorien

I'm still listening to the Outlander Series. I'm now listening to The Drums of Autumn. I really love this series. My next read is going to be Timeline by Michael Crichton....Being the Gerry Butler fan that I am, I already saw the movie, which was really good, but I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Then I'm onto The Lady Vanishes and then The lost Diary of Don Juan. I've been busy ripping the audio CDs onto my easy child.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Like Loth, I'm listening to audio books. Just finished Ken Folett's (sp?) World Without End. I'm currently listening to A Confederacy of Dunces & JD Robbs Creation in Death.

I have Follett's next book The Pillars of the Earth ready to go & Christopher Moore's A Dirty Job - which looks quite amusing.

I've found that being read to is extremely relaxing. I have my PDA playing these books to me while I paint, am doing emails & am working in the kitchen. Hardly watch television anymore unless I'm resting.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Thanks, Fran. I'll give it a shot. ;)

I would SO love to have a thread that we could continually add to this list. I love to read.

If not, I would be willing to maintain a list that I could email to you. Just give me the title, author, and brief summary. I'll email the updated list back to you.

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Abbey, I'd LOVE to keep this list and short descriptions of books somewhere. I've only got a hundred or so off this list that I'd like to read!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We have a book share at work and my stack from the past couple months is on my desk to put away...
I just finished "Reasonable People" by Frank Savaresse for the second time - a story about a profoundly autistic boy, his life and learning to speak thru facilitated communication, but mostly about society's responsibility to help people.
I'm finishing the "Prey" series from John Sanford - murder/suspense types. I've recently read some of the Odd Thomas books by Dean Patterson, and "The Taking", which was really...um...strange.
I read "My Sister's Keeper" - the petri-dish baby conceived to be a genetic match to her sister who was dying of leukemia, and "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" - a twin with Down's taken at birth and raised apart from the rest of her family as her father's attempt to protect the rest of the family from the pain of dealing with it.
And right now I'm half way thru The Innocent Man by John Grisham - a true story about wrongful murder convictions in Ada, OK.
In the pile "to be read", I have another "Prey" book and "I Was Born on a Blue Day". The "to be read" pile is a little short right now.

Nancy

I'm reading (or listening) to A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. I'm also doing the online class with Tolle and Oprah every Monday night and I will want to go back and read it again when it's finished. I strive to live my life like Tolle but I know I will never get there. If I can get halfway there I'll be happy.

DDD I read Identical Strangers too and posted about it on the General Forum. There was sooooo much in that book that explains what we are dealing with with our adopted children and the genetic component. I also want to read Beautiful Boy, Oprah is going to have the author on her show soon and she said she is currently reading it now.

Nancy

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Should we ask moderators, first, if we can keep a sticky list of books?

If not, THANK YOU ABBEY!!!! I am SO taking you up on it!