What are you reading right now?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Seems like we haven't had a book suggestion list in awhile. I'm not thrilled with my book club's choices this year and am trying to finds some new reads, so what are you reading?

donna723

Unfortunately, right now I'm reading ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I hate to admit it but I can't wrench the computer out of my hands long enough to get in to a book right now. I keep right on buying books though - just can't resist it. But I now have a whole shelf full of wonderful brand new unread books that I fully intend to read ... some day.

KTMom91

I mostly read stuff for review, so it's a combination of paranormal, romance, magic type stuff. Right now I'm reading historical romance titled A Rake By Any Other Name.

dstc_99

Just got done with "The Troublemaker Next Door" by Marie Harte. Its a raunchy romance novel but fun and set in Seattle.

I also just finished "Riding the Wave" by Lorelie Brown. It was a beach romance that made me boohoo near the end.

I tend to read things that don't take any real brainpower to follow. Not because I don't like other stuff but because I don't get much time to read so I have to do it in little snippets. Romance novels are like Soap Operas. You can put them down for a year and within a few scenes/pages catch right back up. No brainpower needed.

muttmeister

I'm still reading from the list of "-1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die." Some are wonderful; some not so much. Just finished The Red Queen by Margaret Drabble. It was a good one. Now I'm almost through The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. Very interesting concept. Next in my pile is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (not on the list but I like the author). Am struggling to finish The Recognitions by William Gaddis - interesting but LONG. Also finished all of the mystery series by Elliott Roosevelt where his mother Eleanor is the crime solver. Interesting mainly for the historical background. Am finishing a few Agatha Raisin mysteries (by M.C. Beaton) that I missed in that series. I love living where there is a library where I can order almost anything. I tend to read a more serious book to make me think and then a murder mystery almost like dessert.

nlj

I'm reading Anthony Trollope's 'The Way We Live Now'.

It's a about a difficult child in the 19th century, Felix Carbury, and his mother who is a the most enabling character I've ever encountered. She is blindly besotted by her son and has allowed him to ruin her financially. While everyone abhors this man and sees what a detestable character he is, she remains blind to this and continues to fund his lifestyle and defend his behaviour, mummying him whenever he needs it.

It's strange how I can relate to so many of her feelings, even though this book is set in 19th century England. I feel like stretching my arms into the pages and giving her a good shake and a good talking to!

DammitJanet

I have always been a James Patterson fan and all the Kellerman's so I go for those when I can find them. I know people here recommended the Janet Evanovich books for years but I never tried them. I got two of them at the dollar tree and now I cant get enough of them. They are like popcorn to me. I start one and cant put it down until Im done. They are so funny.

pasajes4

I juggle books. I have a different book in every room and one in my purse at all times. I am reading a romance series by Nora Roberts. I just finished if I Stay and the sequel Where She Went. Life is like a horror story, so I read to escape.

Californiablonde

I am currently reading "The Beast" by Faye Kellerman. She is one of my favorite mystery novel authors along with her husband Jonathan Kellerman. Now that summer is over and I'm back to working full time, it's taking me forever to get through it. I miss my summer reading!

DammitJanet

I love the Kellermans and at one time I was reading either Faye or Jonathan constantly.

Sharon, I was just telling Tony last night that I find myself laughing out-loud as I read those books. Im sure my dog thinks Im nuts because all of a sudden I will burst out laughing going..."Peter Pecker?" LOL Or how about the Fire Farter guy...omgosh...so funny.

I love my Alex Cross novels but let me tell you, reading Kiss the Girls all night long and coming to a certain passage having to do with a snake at 3 am just about did me in!

TerryJ2

Finally just finished A BEAUTIFUL MIND. A tough slog, but fascinating. Have not seen the movie.

Halfway through a Caesar Milan dog training book. :)

Really liked LONE WOLF by Jodi Picoult. And liked CAN'T WE TALK ABOUT SOMETHING MORE PLEASANT, A comic book memoir by Roz Chast. Odd but compelling and sincere.

Next up: WIVES BEHAVING BADLY, Elizabeth Buchan, AMERICA, Dinesh D'Souza, and a bunch of National Geographics I haven't had time to read.

susiestar

Roll With It
I generally have a couple going at any one time. I recently discovered Scribd and am having a lovely time. I am reading some by Shelly Laurenston (always makes me laugh), a cookbook called Sugar Babies, another cookbook by AMAZING chocolatier Alice Medrich - if her creations don't satisfy your chocoholic needs, you cannot be satisfied! I have read quite a few more, but titles escape me right now.

For those looking for free/cheap deals in books may want to explore www.bookbub.com . The site will send you an email a day with the current deals on books. You can tailor it to your preferences, of course, so you get offers on the books you might like to read.

S

Signorina

We took a road trip yesterday and I read "The Light Between the Oceans" and cried like a baby at the end

in a daze

I'm reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I'm in a book club at work and this is the latest pick. I shy away from books about atrocities and this has some really bad stuff in it. But I'm going to be courageous and get through it. Now, years ago I used to read books about the Nazis and WWII, but something in me changed and I just haven't been able to get through that type of literature any more.

And for my light bedtime reading it's the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. Chic lit and thoroughly enjoyable!

amelia d

Hope outweighs experience
If you are looking for a really funny book, David Sedaris's "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is great. I love most of his books. Malcom Gladwell has multiple books, but "Blink" and "Outliers" are really good books. Gladwell is an observer of human behavior and provokes some interesting thoughts.

DammitJanet

I want to do Scribd but my tablet was stolen out of Billy's car when someone broke into it. I am hoping I can get one for Xmas. Maybe. Im a bit ticked that Billy wont give me his old kindle since he has another newer tablet. He just tells me to read on my laptop but that bothers my eyes.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
"The Processes of Life", a textbook one of my genius relatives recommended to get me up to speed on molecular biology. I study a chapter a week, do the questions afterwards, write down all my questions, and research those. My reward for finishing the "course" is to finally read the latest Diana Gabaldon book. I'll need some lighter reading after this weighty tome, LOL!

witzend

I just finished "Jeeves and the Wedding Bells" by Sebastian Faulks. The characters are from the PG Wodehouse "Jeeves & Wooster" series. It was quite faithful to the original series. I enjoyed it a lot.

I have the Janet Evanovich 21 & 22 books, and just can't get into them. I loved those books but it seems to be the same yarn stitched over and over again.