What can a public school do?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by PeaceSeeking, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeaceSeeking

    PeaceSeeking New Member

    Our daughter is 7, in 2nd grade. According to her pediatrician, she carries a diagnosis of ADD and ODD; we have an appointment with a pediatric psychiatrist Wednesday.

    Last year, my daughter was in a small private school with about 10 children in her class. This is her first year in a public school. We just came from her parent-teacher conference. Her teacher seems to be supportive, but told us that she fears that if daughter's behavior doesn't improve she will be put into the substantially separate program. She said that there is a behavior specialist who would "promise the moon" but not deliver, who would essentially come in at the end of the day to "check in." It is alarming to think that the only options are improved behavior or sub separate. What about the inclusion model? But what could a school actually *do* for a child with ODD to keep them in their classroom. It's not like removing her is in the works at the moment, but I want to know what I (and they) can do to prevent it.

    On a related note, how do you get teachers to understand that if they tell your child they "need" to do something, that they are setting the child up for failure? How likely is it that a long time teacher is going to change?
  2. whatamess

    whatamess New Member

    It sounds like your daughter needs to go through an evaluation for special education services, then you can work on getting her supports within the classroom. LRE (least restrictive environment) is part of IDEA (Individuals with disabilities education act) and will support you in your quest to keep your daughter included in regular education. Visit: http://www.wrightslaw.com/ for lots of info on special education.
  3. PeaceSeeking

    PeaceSeeking New Member

    From what I understand, she wouldn't be eligible for special education because she is "making effective progress" academically.
  4. tictoc

    tictoc New Member

    There are things the school can do and is legally responsible for doing. When you speak to the school, do so with confidence. Your daughter is entitled to help.

    Have you had a Student Study Team (SST) meeting? It might be called something else where you live, but it basically is a meeting of the parents, teacher, principal, possibly the school psychiatric, speech pathologist, adaptive PE teacher, or anyone else who might help in meeting your child's needs. It is the first step towards getting an IEP or 504 plan.

    If you can tell us more about your daughter's problems at school, then we can probably help you think about whether you should aim for an IEP or 504.

    In my experience, with a simple diagnosis of ADD, schools do not like to give IEPs. However, that should entitle you to a 504. A 504 simply "levels the playing field" for a child with a disability. For example, a 504 might provide books and handouts with enlarged print for a child with a visual impairment. Some kids with ADHD get extra time to take tests or get to take tests in a separate room to help with attention.

    If your daughter is having behavioral issues related to impulsivity, however, you might want to aim for an IEP. For example, my son has a history of hitting when upset or using violent language. A 504 is not adequate to deal with this. He has an IEP to provide him with a one-on-one aide and to provide social skills therapy for him.

    Give us a little more information and we can give some more help.

    Good luck.
  5. jal

    jal Member

    Welcome PeaceSeeking,

    First of all you need to do a request for an evaluation from your school district (sd). Sometimes the request form is on your sd website. Fill it out and send it in certified mail. That will get your ball rolling. Once received it begins a count down of how long the sd has to get things going. 60 days I believe. After that, based on the results or beforehand you need to have an IEP meeting. This is where you develop an educational plan for your child. Do not let them railroad you into a 504 plan. This is done to appease parents and is not up held by the law. They can promise you the moon, but do not have to deliver. Only an IEP legally protects you. A behaviorist should do an evaluation and than a BIP (Behavior Intervention Plan).

    Who diagnosed your child (besides pediatrician) and if any diagnosis, what have you tried?
  6. TerriH

    TerriH Member

    For ADD they can give her extra time to do the work because she will have a short attention span.

    They can have someone every day organize her work by turning in any papers she did not get in (due to her having a chalenged aboility to be organized), and make sure she has the homework that she needs to do. The person you mentioned "checking in" at the end of the day can do this.

    I have no idea what to do for ODD, alas!
  7. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    If a disability affects behavoir OR academics, your child could be eligible for an IEP.

    Learn about your's and your child's educational rights. Read, read, read....

    www.wrightslaw.com is a good resource for parents. Also, read the threads in this forum and in the Sp Ed Archives forum.

    Incidently, there's a thread in the Archives regarding ODD in the classroom and how to handle it. Luckily, they can be used at home also. lol

    Welcome to the site.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.