What can we expect from our first SI evaluation?

brandyf

we were'nt told to be there early or anything. how exactly do they test to see if its sensory integration or not??? other than just my input as the parent...what kind of concrete testing do they do? Thanks

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
That was one of the first therapies that k received. Are you going to an Occupational Therapist (OT)? We saw an Occupational Therapist (OT), she sent us home with a bunch of Sensory forms, Occupational Therapist (OT) forms, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, developmental I don't remember all of them... She talked to us and observed K playing on the huge indoor therapeutic gym that she had set specifically so she could see how K did in different situations. We discussed our concerns what we wanted and why. After that she worked with k for a few weeks before she came to a diagnosis...
This was the same for N who is more severe than K...

There are some standardized tests that they perform that I am going blank on!!! I have 2 sick kids hanging on me right now sorry!!!

Talk about sensory overload... when they are sick they self stimulant and go into full overload, K flipped this morning over which pants to wear, and right now she is pulling off her socks and telling me how much she hates them, this morning she loved them... she is also chewing non-stop on her toungue ...

I don't know how every one does it. I know some place do more, some less. My sister in law is a COTA and she works with the Schools in Indiana, they do so much at her school...
I brought copies of all of our doctor evaluations reports etc. I even brought our videos to show her...

Good luck

brandyf

thanks so much for the response. our appointment was yesterday afternoon and it was pretty much just like you described. the Occupational Therapist (OT) is great, a real sweet heart and difficult child loved her. She said it seems he has hypersensitivity to sounds and touch. she said with his constant movements, enjoying spinning, skateboarding, bike riding, jumping...all of that is his release and that may be a good possibility why he has a hard time in class room setting. plus the whole, personal space and touching in a classroom of 28 little first graders just blows him thru the roof and thats why he has been suspended and ISS so many times i have lost track. we are goign to be going every week for 30 minutes and she said she would be able to teach me techniques to try and get him to handle himself better or be able to accept the touching and noise better. she also said after awhile she would contact the school and give them the info about it, and set up a plan for him at school..

i am so happy about this. well...you know what i mean...lol,