What could this be?

tiredmommy

Duckie has had these odd "bruises" come up on her legs recently. One a week for the last three weeks. They are all on the front of her thigh and we've figured out it's not an accidental bump. The marks look like tiny capillaries have broken, nothing raised. The first two have faded somewhat but not completely. Duckie says they are mildly itchy. She hasn't changed any medications. It's happened after her shower in the evening each time and we changed her body wash before this last occurrence. :sigh:

Jena

on her leg only?? did you check the rest of her body back etc?? and it's itchy??

has she had anything different to eat today at all or past week??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd call the pediatrician doctor and talk to the RN. And or her allergist. They may want to take a look at it.

Have you checked adverse affects of any medications she's been taking to see if they may be the culprit?

Any other symptoms or just this odd bruising thing?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'd have her iron tested. I have Thalassemia trait (it's hereditery/genetic anemia supreme) and I bruise easily, so I have to take iron supplements and watch what I eat. (I'm just a genetic quagmire of fun).

Not being medical or nursey? My first thought as a klutz is that she could just be bumping into things and not remembering it - I mean she's a tough Duck - doesn't strike me as a sissy lala girl. So maybe it's just playing rough, getting bruised and sometimes bruises itch.

A test to see if her iron is low is a simple prick on her finger and a smear on glass in any doctors office lab. If it's low? They'll tell you to get her to eat more leafy green veggies, and possibly take an extra iron tablet for a while which - could be fun because then it makes you (ya know) ---whispers ----constipated. So have a bran muffin or one of those fiber bars Susie*'s thank you ate the whole box and didn't get off the commode for a day. lol

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well see - there's the resident RN already on the job! lol - Way To Go hound - STAT! (hahah - always wanted to say that)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:nurse:

I'm always on duty. lmao!:winks:

I suggested medications because Nichole had a couple that produce such bruising as a side affect. I know various medications can do that too, not just the ones she took.

It's better to go for the obvious. Checking her iron is a good idea too. If they do a blood sample they may also check her clotting factor which is simple to do and takes only a few mins. I did those as a phlebotomist. lol

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. I was really hoping someone would tell me it was absolutely nothing to worry about... don't bother the doctor, etc. I'm so sick of doctor's offices!!!!

DammitJanet

Well....Keyana is 4 and is covered in bruises...lol. I dont think she is sick. I think she is just active. I gasped last week when we took her clothes off to give her a bath and she had a silver dollar sized bruise on her butt. What pray tell had caused it? She fell off the trampoline! She has bruises on her knees too where she runs and trips. Not a very graceful child...lol.

H

HaoZi

Not enough vitamin K, too much advil/aleve/aspirin, there's a few more you can toss in the pot for easy bruising that you might not notice at the time the injury occurs.

tiredmommy

How about a growth spurt? Is it possible? I think she's grown over an inch in this timeframe.... mostly in her legs. It just occured to me as a possibility this evening when she was at dance with her bff. Her bff has been at least a full inch taller than her for many months, but Duckie is suddenly taller than her?!?!?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay I'm going to say this - (ask Mstang about the card I sent her -to confirm Bueller)

And I'm going to say this just soze ya knoze.............

I danced classical ballet for YEARS............YEARS of practice.......YEARS of it. You would think that ballet would make one more agile, graceful, swan like. :princess:

My Mother was sitting outside the dance studio one practice, and a woman came in to see about enrolling her daughter. My Mom was sitting there crocheting, and the woman said "Is that your daughter? She dances devinely, wonderful." Mom thanked her. Then the woman asked. "May I ask you has ballet made your daughter more GRACEFUL?" With an absolute poker straight face, my Mother answered the woman thus "Well, ballet certainly has made her FALL more gracefully." :groan:

I belive she would refer to being thankful for colored tights - all my briuses.........and "Well HOW did you get THAT bruise?" and my constant reply "I dunno." and then when I fell UP the stairs and chipped my tooth, and fell UP the diving board ladder in swim class, and knocked myself out on the balance beam in gymnastics from that scissor kick, and then when I nearly put my eye out with my baton in majorette class, and OH yeah - the day the riding instructor forgot to kick the horse for blowing out and cinch my saddle and it slipped and I rode back to the barn at age 7 in a full gallop hanging onto the saddle horn and getting kicked in the head, and then the day we went under the barbed wire because they put the snaffle bit on and not the curb bit (wrong bridle) and how about the time I beat myself with the bat at softball practice, or tripped over the tent guide wires at camp, or fell down the hill, or ran into the door frame, and then knocked myself in the cheek with a buckle in parachute class? ........I mean it's hard to tell - I'm so bloody coordinated it's a wonder I can walk at all. Which reminds me - The time I fell off my platform tiedie shoes - you know the ones I snuck out of my Moms closet in the late 70's and wore to school, sprained my ankle on and they had to call her to school to come get me and she busted me for TAKING them.

I told you little Xena takes after her Aunti Star - not with her sarcastic with or potentially and occasional foul mouth - she's all my GOOD qualities......lovely, personable, quick witted - and sadly uncoordinated. And slightly just for the sake of the board plays an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), germophobe &- a teentsy bit narcissistic just for laughs.

InsaneCdn

Star... just a heads-up, here, but back when I was a kid (whichis probably before you were a kid), they had two labels for people like us: klutz, or "clumsy child syndrome". "They" said we'd grow out of it.

For the sake of your niece - if you're seeing "klutz", then flag it - and fight for a REAL diagnosis.

Turns out, we actually have a label. And while I don't have an offical diagnosis (we can't get enough resources yet for the KIDS on this, so they won't touch adults), it really comes in useful when some medical person thinks I'm in an abusive relationship.

Look up Development Coordination Disorder and/or Developmental Dyspraxia (older term).
Lots of good stuff in UK/Auz/NZ...
Best local (north american) site is www.canchild.ca - connected to McMaster University in Ontario.
If that looks like her, then get help - Occupational Therapist (OT), PT, just plain understanding what works and what doesn't, it's worth it.

FLAG: newest part of this isn't recognized in the research yet, as in they have started doing research but no answers - but there seems to be a fatigue element to this, too - which is why we can do things some of the time and not others, and why you get things like falling UP the stairs (diving board? after how many trips up did she stumble? or was that after 25 laps in the pool?)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When I was in 1st-3rd grades, I was in a class called "Kephart". Apparently this was Occupational Therapist (OT) because I was a superklutz. Eye-hand coordination was part of it. I did not realize it was Occupational Therapist (OT) then - but I hated it. because it took me away from reading and the regular class. After they figured out I couldn't see, in 3rd grade? Kephart went away. I'm realizing this with 29 years' hindsight. Anyhoo...

I still occasionally look down and wonder - where the HECK did THAT bruise come from?!

tiredmommy

Lol, Star! Here's the thing though... Duckie isn't clumsy. She gets an occasional bruise on her knee, shin or elbow. Being overloaded sensory-wise makes her rather, umm... how shall I put this.... careful. Also, she's kind of a hypochondriac so she usually knows where and when she got any little mark on her body. And she reports them. Ad nauseum.