What did you have for dinner?

tiredmommy

I made Mexican Lasagna; I hadn't made it in years.

Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients*
1 lb ground beef
12oz salsa
2 flour tortilla (large enough to cover the bottom of a pie plate, about 8")
1 cup refried beans
1 cup sour cream
4oz shredded cheddar or taco cheese
shredded lettuce for garnish

Brown beef in skillet & drain. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa.
Spread 1/4 cup salsa on bottom of 10" pie plate; top with one tortilla. Layer with half of each of the beans, meat mixture, sour cream and cheese. Repeat layers starting with the 2nd tortilla; cover with foil.
Bake @ 350F for 30 minutes. Top with lettuce, remaining salsa and additional sour cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*Don't forget to use low- or no-fat versions to make this a healthier meal.

KTMom91

Last night we had the most wonderful pork tenderloin, courtesy of one of the women from church. Tonight we're having Chicken Imperial...my mom's bringing it over.

I'm going to copy that Mexican Lasagna recipe. That sounds really good.

Wiped Out

Staff member
TM-This sounds delicious! I think I'll be trying this!

I would share mine but it's one of husband's mom's meals that I make but have no actual recipe for. I'd probably end up telling the wrong amounts of everything!

klmno

Darn, I'm caught. I'm getting ready to eat BBQ rib tips, garlic toast, fried potatoes/onions, and green beans.

I'm taking that recipe down, TM!!

Last edited:

Andy

Oh Tired - That sounds sooooo good. I obviously was at the wrong house at supper time tonight. We just had fish sticks and popcorn shrimp - very boring!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I went out with some female friends to see "He's Just Not That Into You" (delightful!) and then for Chinese......so, for dinner tonight I had General Tso's Chicken. :)

Suz

mstang67chic

Going Green
Andy - :rofl:

Suz - Calf. I was so excited to finally find someplace in the area that has FRESH liver!!! Normally all I can find is that processed, freeze dried carp. There is a meat market not far from my Dad's house and I picked some up this weekend when my stepmom and I were out getting things for my sister's baby shower.

mstang67chic

Going Green
It's pretty basic. Cut the liver into serving size portions and flour the pieces. (I will usually mix some black pepper and/or garlic powder if desired into the flour first. Anything that will blend well are things you can do this with). Brown in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Turn down the heat, top with sliced onion and pour a mixture of flour and water over top, cover and simmer till done. Easy peasy.

smallworld

TM, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it soon because my kids love Mexican food. I'll just have to do half beans, half beef because A is a vegetarian and J hates beans.

husband and I left the kids and went out tonight for sushi at our favorite Japanese restaurant. Yum!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I wonder if anywhere sells fresh liver around here. OMG that sounds yummy. Which tells me my iron is probably a bit low. lol But I still want some. :D

That lasana sounds good too.

Thanks to this virus my cubboards are bare. So I had scrambled eggs and toast. Exciting huh? lol It's about what I can handle at the moment. I hope to be up to a trip to the store in the morning.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You made Mexican Lasagne and DIDN'T invite MEEEEE????!!!!

:rofl:

Hmmm... what did I have for dinner....

Well since I busted my hump in the yard today, didn't come in until after dark and was way too exhausted to do anything but take a bath and figure out why my interent connection was down, I didn't cook anything.

For me: leftover sesame chicken from my Valentine's dinner out with husband (we got Subway for the kids and snuck out for a quick Japanese dinner by ourselves).

For the kids: husband fried up two boxes of pierogies and the kids noshed on that plus other leftovers.

For husband: He just finished his project in the garage and is climbing into the tub... he hasn't eaten yet!

But I like the sound of the recipe -- and the kids might even eat it!

K

Kjs

LOL

Liver.

I absolutely love liver. But I am the only one and it has so much cholesterol, and my cholesterol is high.

We should have this a standard thread each week. It will give new idea's on what to have for dinner.

I do not eat dinner Sunday - Tuesday as I am sleeping. I usually try to make several meals for those days in advance.

Does anyone have "advance dinner making" recipes? That would be wonderful.

Last meal I made was Friday. And we had Fish Fillets, pasta salad, beans.

DDD

I love liver, too. A cup of chicken livers is cheap, cheap, cheap and will feed four. Yum!

As you all know I like to cook. I made two new recipes that took over two hours prep time. ;) Every ingredient was fresh, well measured and cooked to perfection. ;) NONE of us enjoyed either one! OMG, what a shock to waste an afternoon and then wish you had just made Pasta Roni!
DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Last night easy child made some mac and cheese from scratch - it is so good! We also had a salad on the table, but no one ate any.

The night before I made Shrimp Scampi with roasted brussel sprouts and rice pilaf. Very yummy. I made it for difficult child - she loves shrimp. I also made a strawberry layer cake with vanilla frosting that was delish!

Kjs, I will sometimes make up a batch of baked ziti, stuffed shells, or lasagna and put together two trays - one to freeze. They freeze well and bake up like fresh. Another thing to make ahead are soups and stews and chilis - they also freeze well and actually taste better a day or so later. Also, you can whip up a batch of mashed potatos and freeze them in serving sizes that suit your needs. They can then be popped into an over-proof dish and baked until done. Easy. I make a South Beach Diet chicken parm that is really great. Instead of all the breading, etc., you put a little sauce in a casserole dish, put frozen cutlets on top, cover with some sauce and then some LF Italian cheese, sprinkle with parm, cover with plastic wrap and then foil and freeze. On the morning you need it for dinner, just let it thaw in the fridge and bake later (just remember to remove the plastic wrap first). Serve with a salad and bread. EASY. I don't like cooked, then frozen meat, so I will often prepare a meal raw and then freeze it, except for things like chilis and stews/soups.

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG. You liver lovers are going to make me throw up. I have created over the years a ton of ways to get out of eating liver.

1 - the dog. That dog would eat anything...even liver. Didn't take mom too long to figure out that I was secretly feeding my meal under the table.

2 - I need to use the restroom please. May I be excused? Stuff as much as I can in a napkin and flush it away. That lasted for a few months, but got caught on that.

3 - I learned to swallow huge pieces of that crud with a big gulp of milk. Never had to chew.

4- Move out of the house, and I did. Never liver again.

Now, the Mexican dish I'd do any day. It sounds lovely. Liver...NO. NO. NOT EVER AGAIN. I truly think I'd eat grass or sand before eating liver again.

I digress.

I have left over chicken soup which I will most likely have again tonight.

Abbey