What Do You Drink?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yup, and it's only WHITE grapefruit. Pink or red grapefruit is fine. The white grapefruit binds to a liver enzyme that is needed to break down a lot of drugs, so the enzyme isn't available to deal with the drugs.

Drug abusers are very aware of the various things that potentiate drugs of abuse, by the way.

And with the "acid-blockers" it's JUST Tagamet(cimetidine). Pepcid and the others are fine. I just switched to Pepcid and avoided the whole issue.

When I started fading in and out of reality, I went and laid down, hoping I kept breathing. As far as I could tell, I didn't get up and do stupid things, which often happens in benzo blackouts, but I have a chunk of time I didn't remember at all.

susiestar

Roll With It
I cannot take tagamet, just one of more things I am allergic to. As for grapefruit juice, I don't like the white kind. I have been warned about this and am very careful, but thank you for caring enough to warn me.

Your benzo blackout is scary! I would ahve been terrified. Things like this are why I have lobbied my doctor for a narcan rx to have at home just in case. It has taken 3 years and a CDC guideline that all opiate patients should have narcan at home for her to finally agree, but at least she agreed. I don't know why she was SOOOOO against it for so long, but that is her deal.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm sure you remember the year-long "discussion" about Narcan not working with Xanax that many of us had with Standswithcourage years ago.

I've never even taken Xanax. I know its the most popular of the benzos to abuse because it's very strong, hits hard and fast, etc. It's also the most addictive of the lot. Only benzos I've taken are Valium (so many years ago that was RXed for back spasms), Lorazepam (Ativan) and Temazepam (Restoril). I'm not counting the injectable benzos they use to knock you out for surgery or dental work, like Versed.

Xanax is notorious for causing blackouts, and quite a lot of people become aggressive during Xanax blackouts, especially if that's combined with alcohol, which mixture is also notorious for causing death.

Depending on what kind of "pain cocktail" you are on, you might need to have 2 Narcan kits on hand. Some opioids last longer than the Narcan does and the Narcan can wear off before the opioid does and you're right back in OD-mode again.

Also, having had Narcan after mistaking one of my husband's 80mg oxycodone pills for one of my RX antihistamines(half asleep and no glasses), and ODing, I can tell you that it is an extremely unpleasant drug to have to take. Don't get me wrong. It beats the hell out of death, but, Ugh!

From what I understand, if you are an addict, it will throw you into a sort of "atomic withdrawal" instantly.

jetsam

COFFEE! all throughout the day. Either hot Or cold. Hard sided water bottles with britta filters. Maybe a glass of wine a couple of times a year. milk on cereal (very little) or 1/2 glass with pbj sandwich. Hot tea...earl gray or peppermint, No soda... gives me instant heartburn! especially the flavored kinds like orange, or black cherry so i stay away from all that carbonated stuff.

pasajes4

Yesterday, I had the most amazing beverage. It was watermelon that was put in a blender with a splash of lemon, water and ice. If I were not diabetic, I would have consumed the entire batch by myself.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Oh, Pasa! That sounds delicious! I love watermelon, but only the real thing. I can't stand watermelon flavoring of any kind.

The diabetes issue is a PITA. I LOVE fruit and eat too much of it.

pasajes4

That's the best part. It is made with fresh watermelon. Side benefit.......lots of fiber cleans out your system.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's one of the downsides to being single: you have to buy your watermelon by a few slices, or chunks, or spears, and it's expensive.

I kept my eyes open all year for one of those tiny watermelons that we usually import from Israel and couldn't find one anywhere. I can actually eat up one of those before it spoils/dries out.

svengandhi

Coffee, light with half and half and two Splenda or Equal or Sweet and Low in the morning. Very occasionally, another cup during the day. Crystal light iced tea with bottled water at work, tap water at home. I am trying to get off of Diet Coke and Pepsi. For alcohol - margaritas, cranberry with vodka, wine (pink zinfandel, primarily) with seltzer.

Dislikes: Regular soda, tomato juice, beer, Starbucks, root beer and Dr. Pepper (the smell of both of them makes me feel ill).