What Does This Mean?

busywend

Get yourself a lawyer asap - you never know what is going on . There could be reasons he wants it to go quick. Thinks you might not think of something.

rlsnights

Remember that alimony is not dischargable in bankrupcy but loans are. If at all possible, have them award you alimony equal to 50% of the debt and you pay the bills as your credit rating is on the line and you will become 100% responsible for the debts if he does bankrutcy.

Hmmm - so if she files for bankruptcy first (should she decide that it is in her best interest to do so) she could get the alimony and he would have to make the debt payments since he co-signed? :yeah: Not saying she should do that, just wondering out loud.

And I totally agree about getting a lawyer. Call the DV shelter and ask for referrals to good lawyers.

graceupongrace

WSM,

First, I'm glad you're safe. I know this has been a long, scary journey.

Second, I'm glad you didn't let husband's lawyer intimidate you. Way To Go!

Third, be good to yourself. You have been dealing with extraordinary circumstances, and you deserve a long nap, a good cry, a big chocolate bar and then some. We're all here for you.

Many hugs!

JJJ

Hmmm - so if she files for bankruptcy first (should she decide that it is in her best interest to do so) she could get the alimony and he would have to make the debt payments since he co-signed? :yeah: Not saying she should do that, just wondering out loud.

I'm not sure about that but I think WSM has to keep a solid credit rating for her job. So if she declared bankruptcy she'd lose her job, I think???