What does your difficult child do to entertain him/herself?

mum2JK&TH

difficult child has always had difficulty finding things to do by himself. He always seems to need someone to either entertain him or at least give him an idea of what to do or play. husband allowed him to start playing a game on the computer which has become the only thing that difficult child wants to do. After this weekend and some upsetting things happening to difficult child in the game, I got upset and said no more. I don't like the idea of him playing on the computer all the time. The weather has not been ideal but there is plenty of other things he can do! After two days of sulking and convincing himself he has no imagination (husband could not believe difficult child couldn't think of anything to build with lego), we finally got him into building a puzzle which he's gone full throttle with. Last night was finally decent enough to go outside and he played hockey with his friend but even with that we had to give him the idea.

So what does your difficult child to entertain themselves that doesn't involve computers, tv's or electronic things? What about when the weather isn't good? Are they capable of playing by themselves or thinking of things to do?

Thank goodness hockey starts back up for him tomorrow! At least one night a week will be filled, lol!

dreamer

My oldest sleeps a LOT.........and writes poems.....and makes jewelry. She has also thrown herself into enjoying the new kittens we got in Jan. Turns out she is quite a mother hen.
My easy child teen is so busy working and doing schoolwork and volunteering, I cannot imagine how she keeps up. When she DOES have a slow day, she likes to cook. and she is learning how to knit.
My youngest, my son? WHen he was recovering post eye surgeries, he did a lot of drawing. He also likes to use chalk out on the patio, driveway and sidewalk. Even at age 11 (will be 12 tomorrow) he still enjoys the sandbox. He also likes to learn magic tricks and card tricks etc. (and yes he loves Legos, KNex, and magnetix, and my older kids also enjoy doing that with him) when he was post surgical for months the surgeon refused to let me allow my son to ride his bike or play outside.....so we diid try hard to think of "calmer" activities. To my surprise, my son also loves to watch Alton Brown and "Unwrapped" and "the Secret Life of...." on FoodNetwork. He also likes "How do they make that" and Mythbusters. I think those are on discovery or TLC? ANd he still loves to play with his hot wheels cars and car tracks and trains and train tracks.....and will make elaborate set ups that span most of our house! (and incorporating many non toy things thruout the house0

He also likes to lounge and play in the tub, all 3 of my kids love to be IN water or near water and this includes tasking very very very long baths.

house of cards

My major difficult child obsesses with video games but he also will role play outside, play sports, build legos. S loves TV but also role plays and rides bikes. My easy child L has no imagination and can only play mother/teacher to the 2 yos. Other then that she listens to music and watches TV.

LittleDudesMom

Your difficult child is only a year younger than mine. The computer and the game system are favorites of his!

But other than that, he loves building with anything (although legos are his fav). He adores painting and, watch out, he will paint anything in his path! He loves clay (which is great 'cause you can give them all kinds of kitchen trinkets to play in the clay with). He really enjoys board games (his current favorite is Life which we have played about 5 times over the last three days!!). He also enjoys looking, sorting, stacking, resorting, ect., his card collections (Pokemon, Yugio, ect.).

I believe we are fortunate in that difficult child learned a long time ago to amuse himself.

Sharon

dreamer

My younger 2 were always much better at self entertaining than my oldest was. My oldest has always required far more attention and help- far more intereactions etc.
Sometimes it does get difficult for my youngest and I when him and I are at Ronald McDonald House or a hotel for the days we travel for doctor. Then it is just him and me, in an unfamilar area, cannot wander off outside becuz most of his docs are not in "safe" neighborhoods........SO during those times I do permit Gameboy (and for the drive in the car.) Altho in the car we also often SING really loud! LOL. But that can be a challenge when it is him and I holed up just us in the car and docs lobby and ronald mcdonald house for several days. I used to think I could catch up on MY reading during those times, BUT....nope, those are times when my son REALLY needs me to intereact and self entertaining is far more difficult.

BusynMember

Anyone with a difficult child who is on the autism spectrum--Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, classical autism--will likely tell you that the child lacks imagination and needs outside stimulation to help amuse him or her. Computers and videogames along with television are big for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids. My son, without them, walks around picking things up, looking them over, setting them down, picking up other things, bouncing on the furniture (he is 14 and no lightweight) and basically having no imagination in which to think of things to do. We have to force him to do soccer and swimming and summer school is a given or he'd sit around and just play videogames. He is very VERY knowledgeable about videogames and can recite when each one was first made, all the characters, all the powers they have, etc. He has very odd interests...lol. When he was a toddler he obsessed over letters, numbers, the states and capitals and never did enjoy toys. Quirky kid :smile: If I force him outside, he walks around aimlessly and asks, through the window, "Can I come in yet?" He really doesn't enjoy being outside. (I love him to death)

Alisonlg

My oldest difficult child can not amuse himself to save his life. If he's used up his video game time he teeters on the verge of meltdown chanting "I'M BORED" while we scramble to redirect him and try to find something he'll be interested in, which is no easy task...because after all...if it's not a video game, he has his mind set on the fact that he doesn't want to do it! :p In fact, just now I was playing Skip Bo with him and he couldn't keep his attention on it long enough to get through the entire game...the phone rang and even though I continued to play the game, he got up and walked away.

My youngest difficult child is only 3, so I think he's probably still too young to really self-amuse anyway, but he will rarely occupy himself. Sadly he wants to play with his older brother soooooo badly, but the 8 yr old wants nothing to do with him.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child is very seldom able to entertain himself-once in awhile with a movie but mostly he is always asking us to do something with him. He just doesn't seem to like doing anything alone-thankfully there is a neighbor girl who plays with him once in awhile.

AK0603

Mine usually draws, colors, sometimes he will write stories and things like that. He has trouble finding stuff to do alone as well, he has trouble making friends, so if he has no one to play with he does those kinds of things.

wakeupcall

I started to say my difficult child can't entertain himself, but I guess he actully does. He LOVES the outside and wouldn't come in till after dark if I didn't make him. Also, he's started playing Webkins on the computer. I thought he was too old for those types games, but he really enjoys it and at least he's not hounding me day and night......thank goodness for small favors. My daughter limits her children on Webkins, but NOT ME! We have to get peace any way we can get it.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt loves to draw sidewalk murals with her chalk. She also spends time playing on her computer or with her dolls. Crafting activities & this time of year she spends hours on her scooter after school.

She still needs constant supervision - but doesn't need constant entertainment. As long as there is an adult around so she feels safe, kt is pretty content amusing herself.