What happens if she never gets back to class????

lonelyroad

It's not a mater of won't, but she believes she "can't"... I think sooner or later they will say she is bi-polar, the abilify has helped the huge ups and downs...but not the anxiety and paranoia...she says no one speaks to her, no one wants to be her friend...heavy burdens when you are starting high school..she is getting further behind in school, which makes it harder to get caught up...

I can't scream at her, it doesn't work, can't physically make her go to school, she is bigger then I am, and all she would do is not leave the car..

I really have no clue what happens next..

T

TeDo

Literally, they will consider her a truant and will eventually report it to someone. That can go either way, legal action against you or lots of services/help for her. It would probably end up getting help for her if you can show you've moved mountains to try to help her. Have you tried a psychiatric hospital? My son ended up in one (the closest one to us) three hours from home in another state.

Figuratively, that's the BIG question for so many of us here. Not necessarily just about school but life in general. The what if's can kill you. My theory is to not worry about 10 years from now, worry about 10 minutes from now and as long as I can see even tiny hints of improvement then there's hope.

StressedM0mma

LR, I am not sure what the "rules" are in Canada, but I would keep at it with school. I understand the too big to physically move. They aren't 5 anymore. Do they happen to have an online program in the school? difficult child is taking a class online this year, but she does it at school, not at home. I hate to have you go this route, but does the local police have a "truant officer"? We have had to call the non emergency number for the police before to get our difficult child to her PHP program, and have told her we will do it again if necessary. They will come to the house and take them if needed. I know that can backfire with the anxiety issues, but I have quit caving in to difficult child. I have basically told the school that I will get her there, what happens after that is yours to deal with. I do not answer her calls or texts. I feel horrid, but she has got to learn to handle this. Have you considered CBT therapy? It does help with anxiety. And, I would consider driving her to the closest psychiatric hospital and have her admitted. Like I said before, I do not know how far away that is, but it may be her best bet at getting her medications adjusted in a timely way, and the staff can watch any reaction she may have. And, she will get a good bit of therapy while she is there.

InsaneCdn

Lonelyroad... I didn't know you were in Canada. If you're in Ontario, there are several other board members from there who might have specific info.

We "almost" got to school refusal... not quite. We ended up with a crisis, which (finally) led to a third round of comprehensive evaluation... and finally some of the dxes we needed. But the damage was done. It's only been the last year or so that we've seen any impact on mood disorders, and that has required significant modifications to medications. I'm assuming you have both a therapist and a psychiatrist. When it comes to medications, you NEED the psychiatrist. Yes, they are the "pill-pushers" (or in our case, the "pill-controllers")... ours has been good to work with, but it takes time to get in, and time to adjust medications (we've had appointments 6-8 weeks apart for over a year... normal spacing is 4-6 MONTHS)

On-line learning should be an option. Homebound schooling should also be an option (in some parts of Canada, at least) - this is where the kid is medically identified as ill and unable to attend... and they send a teacher out to bring work and try to keep the kid up with peers as much as possible.