What I feared has arrived, now what?

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thank you Dee. I appreciate your concern and your compassion. The animal control police person we spoke to told us to call him on Wed. after the next hearing to see what our options are. He called my daughter in the jail and spoke to her and apparently because they are her cats and she doesn't want them surrendered, at least for the moment, we are bound by what she wants. If I had not picked up the car with the cats in it, I think that would have been a different story. It may all change on Tuesday. The cop we spoke to about the cats doesn't think my daughter will get out of jail on Tuesday because she is, in his interpretation, a "transient." Yikes. I talked to my daughter's Dad and he doesn't think she will get out either. I can't take off any more work right now, it's a busy month for me, but my fiancee is going to go to the hearing on Tuesday. The jail is about an hour away. The cats are still in the car. The older one still in the bathroom. Not ideal, but I feel a tad better about it now, I think a couple of nights sleep, my venting at my daughter on Friday, lots of support from my dear girlfriends yesterday, and some down time, all helped to bring balance back. As a therapist of mine used to say all the time,"it is what it is." In my therapy support group for Codependents on Thursday night, the therapist told me that all the sadness I felt about the recognition that no matter what I do, I cannot make any difference in my daughters life, is acceptance. Each day that acceptance grows. The acceptance has removed the anguish I have always felt about my daughter and her plight. I feel empathy for her, but the depth of heartache is diminishing. I have needed to establish detachment, I've been striving for that for years, but until I let go of the guilt and responsibility for her, I was connected to her in a negative unhealthy way. The last few months have been tough, and I have made some hard choices around letting her go, but that has liberated me in many ways. It's been very helpful to read your stories, so like mine, and realize that I'm not alone and that I can make a different choice. Makes me think of that adage, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Well, I think I've been insane long enough. I think what's been the most difficult thing to let go of is that my daughter is not mentally stable and has, in fact, had many, many heartbreaking losses, the suicide of her husband 12 years ago, her 2 step daughters being removed from her care (and rightly so, she was not capable of being a good parent) my going to court to have my granddaughter taken from her and given to me as permanent legal guardian, the loss of her job, her home, her friends and really, that entire life. She orchestrated most of that, I know, but my heart just broke for her. That kept me tied to her, thinking I could help her. Now I realize that her only way out, should she take it, is if she finds her own way out. I can't help her anymore. And, she is such a difficult person to be around, so angry and blaming, and really treats me with disdain, I had to recognize the truth of the matter and not see what I want to see, but see what really is. That's taken some time, she is my only child. I have made some serious enabling mistakes, but I also see that even though that's true, she is the one who has to heal herself now. As my therapist just pointed out to me, I grew up with some very serious issues with a bi-polar father and a depressed mother, and I was the one who had to go to therapy and do whatever it took to heal myself, it was my responsibility. So, now it is my daughters responsibility. It's not perfect, but it is real and it is what is. Detachment is the key to letting go of codependency. Acceptance is the goal. Not an easy path, that's for sure. It really takes a lot of support, something I, as a codependent, did not do a good job of attaining for myself. However, now that is not the case, now I have a legion of folks around me, and that support gives me the courage and the commitment to make the necessary changes. I feel better. I don't know what my daughter's fate is. I pray that she has an epiphany, I pray that she opens her heart and lets all the pain out, the grief, and begins to heal from all the losses she has sustained, I pray that she can have a healthy fulfilling life and find joy. And, I finally realize that she may not do any of that, she may be one of these people who is in and out of jail, homeless, on the fringe of life, just hanging on. God, I hate that, but I have to face reality here. It's out of my hands, I am powerless, I have no control. Whew. Thank you for listening. Thanks for your responses, you've all helped me. God bless.

S

Signorina

RE - I am at the beginning stage - my son is 19 - and reading your post has opened my eyes. Because - like you - I need to accept that I did my best and it doesn't/didn't matter and that it's not in my power/realm to change his future. I don't have that ability - nothing I do or say or don't do or don't say will chart his path. And I realize that if I don't learn to accept that NOW, I could very well be in this same place 20 years from now - when I am 64 and he is 39.Thank you so much for sharing this so candidly and so honestly. I wish us both peace in the days ahead {{{hugs}}}

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Thanks Signorina, for the hugs and for the kindnesses. Yes, start letting go, you don't want to be my age with a kid who you've enabled for 39 years, do it now, get lots of support, surround yourself with love and knowledge, detach from him so he can learn to develop his own strengths. We harm them more then help them by enabling them once they]re old enough to take care of themselves. Recently, in one of my codependency classes, I read an info sheet about characteristics of codependency in relationships, the line "your struggles affect my serenity" jumped off the page. Wow. I didn't know it could be another way when you love someone. It gave me an insight into detachment. Not so long ago I would have argued that if you care for someone, OF COURSE your serenity would be impacted, now I see it differently. What does all my energy directed and focused on them do for them exactly? Rob them of the ability to take care of themselves and learn, as a result, that they are capable, strong, competent and successful. That's how I learned to be so resourceful, I made lots of mistakes and learned from them, and it was scary sometimes, I was pushed to the limit of my abilities, but I pushed through the fear and I went forward. I helped to take that from my daughter, I helped her become helpless, manipulative and angry. And, now, instead of feeling guilty and responsible, I have to be strong and say no and allow her the consequences of her behavior. She just called me again from jail, collect, asking if I could go pay for her cell phone because if I don't she will lose the number she has had for 3 years. Seems pretty stupid to be thinking of that when you are in jail for a felony. I asked her why she needs the phone in jail. She said, "I'm getting out of here on Tuesday" and she couldn't help herself, her attitude and anger and sarcasm slipped through her attempt at being sorry and thankful. Fortunately I actually heard the usual voice and I said no. And hung up. And, yes, it's hard, but I keep thinking, instead of the easy fix for me to feel better about myself in helping her, I am thinking of the long haul, saying no and being uncomfortable now, so MAYBE she will take some responsibility for herself, SOMEDAY. Or not. But I can't save her anymore. I'm finished. I guess I'll have to deal with this for awhile, this uncomfortable feeling I get when I say no, but I will deal with it because I know how detrimental this is for both she and I. I have a very strong commitment to change this, no matter what I have to do now.

On a lighter note, just to say something positive, my granddaughter got her permit to drive on Friday and is one happy kid to be driving. She is nothing like her mother. She and her boyfriend got in trouble because he drove her home from school the other day, when he shouldn't be driving other young kids around with him until he's 18. So his Dad saw them. He got grounded. My granddaughter actually called his Mom, her idea, and owned her part in it, apologized and they ended up talking for a half an hour. She felt so good about herself and we acknowledged, as did the boyfriends Mom, just how brave that was. She is 15 and learning to take responsibility for herself. Her Mom is 39 and is clueless. My granddaughter is the light in my life.

So, it's cold and raining outside, a good day for the split pea soup cooking on the stove. I am remembering one of my many therapists telling me that spiritual/psychological health is living in the paradoxes of life and not going crazy. Right now this feels like one of those paradoxes, learning to love my daughter in a different way, to say no, to not give in, to detach, to let go, to not be there, against my nature in some ways, but the only way out for both of us. God bless all you warriors out there, 'may the force be with you!!'