What if the secret to success is failure?

T

TeDo

Cool article. Thanks for sharing. In our area, schools here are lacking way too much of everything.

keista

People who have an easy time of things, who get 800s on their SAT's, I worry that those people get feedback that everything they're doing is great. And I think as a result, we are actually setting them up for long-term failure. When that person suddenly has to face up to a difficult moment, then I think they're screwed, to be honest. I don't think they've grown the capacities to be able to handle that.'

That totally describes me, and potentially DD1 (actually already and the reason I'm pushing for her to face failure)

Sorry, couldn't read the whole article right now, but the title took me straight to Thomas Edison who insisted he did not FAIL in making a lightbulb 999 times, but found 999 different ways NOT to make a lightbulb.

Essentially there can be no real success without failure, and failure is only as bad as one perceives it to be.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
There was a scene in the movie "Bruce Almighty" that did not make the final cut - but still appears in the extras on the DVD...

In the scene, G-d essentially tells Bruce the same thing. By giving everyone what they wanted, Bruce ruined their determination to achieve. G-d says "To create a beautiful painting, one must sometimes use dark colors".

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
How can you learn from mistakes, if you don't make them?

in my opinion - my secret to success, such as it is, IS failure.

My first marriage was a sham. I learned - patience (needed to deal with O, J and bio, and sometimes husband too); that I deserve to have attention paid to me; not to "settle".

And now? I did not "settle" for my husband. He isn't perfect - but he is the love of my life. He is my heart. I laughed when J put frozen bread in the microwave for 6 minutes to "thaw" it. I do not put up with being ignored.

So many things I have done wrong - but turned out right, in the end, because I learned.

InsaneCdn

Quote from somewhere...

Experience is the best teacher.
Get your lessons cheap.
Learn from someone else's experience.

It isn't JUST about failure and/or success. Its about the whole process. Of having to actually risk failure. Of learning the process of learning, not just memorizing answers. Of learning how to recognize learnable moments - in your own experience or someone else's. Its about learning how to think.