What is a polish tuna patty called?

ctmom05

My co-worker shared a simple recipe with me, it sounds like "froshky." It is tuna mixed with cracker crumbs and a beaten egg, and then sauteed in a little oil or butter.

I was trying to find a recipe but can't seem to spell the name of this dish correctly; can anyone help with this?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
In German and in Yiddish, it's a "latke". Latkes are basically anything chopped up, formed into a patty and fried. We're probably most famous for our potato latkes which are traditionally served during Chanuka.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Could be "Koletke". That could easily be the root word behind "Latke". German does have it's share of eastern European words, and Yiddish certainly has more than it's fair share.

Estherfromjerusalem

Maybe "piroshki" -- just a wild guess, but I think I've heard that word somewhere.

I'll take potato latkes, fresh and piping hot from the frying pan. Thank you.

Love, Esther

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Esther, if you make the potato latkes, I'll bring the sour cream, LoL...actually, husband came up with a version made with shredded potatoes and zucchini of all things. They were wonderful. We used to eat them right off the paper toweling they were draining on. Just let them cool enough to eat without burning your mouth.