What is everyone making for Easter dinner ?

shellyd67

I host every holiday at my house.

I am a good cook if I do say so myself and love having all the company.

Being that I am Italian, I am making ravioli's and meatballs.

Also, a honey baked spiral ham, pineapple bread stuffing, broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes, potato salad and deviled eggs.

For dessert, coconut cream pie, cheesecake and something chocolate (not sure yet)

How bout you all ?:bunny_ears:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We just did ours today. lol

Ham, augratin potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli casserole, greenbean casserole, sweet rolls, bunny cake, soft sugar cookies cut out like easter eggs.

It was yummy.

BusynMember

We don't see a lot of our family at Easter. Not that we have a big family. My older daughter is in Illionois and son is in St. Louis and neither can come in. We will enjoy a nice, quiet holiday (hub, Sonic and Jumper) and have decided to treat ME by going out to a good restaurant :) I'm looking forward to it.

KTMom91

Not a clue. I don't know if we're going to my mom's, Hubby's mom's, or what's going on.

All I know for sure is that Miss KT won't be home.

LittleDudesMom

My mom is coming in for Easter. I usually do a spiral cut honey ham but mom offered to bring a beef tenderloin!!!!

She is going to bring that and I will roast it with a European pepper rub, then cut the individual filets and mom is making béarnaise sauce (I haven't had filet mignon with béarnaise sauce in 15 years). I will serve boiled new potatoes with parsley and butter (margarine), artichoke hearts, and sourdough rolls (mom's request). I will actually get a slice of honey ham from the deli for difficult child and he'll have some mashed potatoes (Bob Evens style). They don't go with the menu, but I will make a few deviled eggs because it's not Easter without them!!! easy child will be making and decorating a cake for dessert.

I'm also making mom a small Easter basket!

Sharon

Marguerite

You guys know how I love to cook and share recipes. But here I' at a loss. We may have some of the kids coming to visit for a meal, but if they do it will be a rush in, rush out. If we cook anything, it will be a fairly standard meal with extra serves for whoever is visiting. mother in law has an Easter chocolate cake she makes every year, she will probably do that again. But otherwise - nothing special.

Good Friday is when e take a little more trouble. it's a family tradition for us, to not eat any meat at all, not even fish on Good Friday. mother in law makes macaroni cheese which I can't eat, she makes it too oily for me. So I'll make some kumara and potato gnocchi for me and difficult child 3.

On Easter Sunday we have a sunrise church service - 6.30 am. After the service we all (the whole village) eat a breakfast of hot cross buns, on the veranda overlooking the beach.

Some time in the next week (I was going to start today) I have the church candle to make. It is a big one, it is the same candle for the whole year, lit every Sunday. It gets installed on Easter Sunday morning, but that will be low-key this year.

This year Easter also coincides with Anzac Day - April 25. Another solemn occasion for all Aussies and New Zealanders. Another dawn service next day.

Marg

muttmeister

Don't know here either. My, aren't we all prepared..LOL Older difficult child and family probably won't be here. Younger difficult child and family probably will. We usually have ham but d-i-l doesn't really like ham. I have a pork loin and a turkey breast in the deep freeze; thinking about doing one of them. But then last time I was at older difficult child's he made a kick_a$$ rack of ribs with mustard sauce that I've been wanting to try. As far as the grandkids are concerned, they'd be happiest with a box of mac and cheese. No fun there.

Mattsmom277

easy child was supposed to spend Easter with her dad this year. She has always been home but without Matt here and him just leaving, I didn't really want to do a Easter thing. easy child was happy to go to her dads, and I would have gotten her some chocolate and a small gift as I always do. This was the plan in place after my sisters mother said she couldn't bring her down after all, so I figured okay, I am opting out this year.

Sunday p.m. my baby sis calls, her mom is giving her a ride after all as her birthday present. I'm thrilled she's coming. The downfall, I hadn't planned on doing anything and since I wasn't planning it, money was spent in preparing difficult child to go. Paying for him to get his drivers license, expensive good quality shoes, etc etc. So money is a huge problem if I'm going to be having Easter after all. I'll be fancy budgeting all week to figure it out.

I've booked the rental room in my cousins building for Sunday. Turns out my cousin is home for 2 weeks from London England. So now its a full blown big family "do" as well as a birthday thing for my sister. Normally I'd ask others to do more a pot luck thing but not comfortable with this short notice (shocked they are even freeing their time to join in this close to the weekend!). Plus since its also doubling as a party for my sister, feels strange to ask them all to chip in for it.

Anybody have any good ideas on food, decorations etc on a budget that suits a birthday thing AND Easter at the same time? I have no clue. Normally at Easter I'd do ham, a few side salads (potato, pasta, garden) and a couple veggies with something simple for dessert such as hot apple pie and ice cream. Normally for a child party our family does either bbq (hot dogs and hamburgers and sides etc) or I make homemade pizzas and everyone tops their own. So no clue how to morph the two events into one.

Would love some good ideas, budget conscious ones preferably lol.

Marguerite

Matt'sMom, try Greek-style dyed hard boiled eggs. Get some leaves from the garden (parsley or chervil are good) and wrap the eggs in an old nylon stocking with the leaf pressed against the egg shell so it leave a pattern. You then boil the eggs in the coloured dye.

Or you can make egg dye by soaking crepe paper in water. Or use food colouring.

I make a lot of recipes on a budget. This includes making my own bread and pasta. There is a lot you can do on the cheap with pasta and bread dough. A festive Easter sweet bread can be made easily from a brioche dough recipe with dried fruit all through it. Home made pasta can be turned into large lasagnes (I use my roasting pan) which can feed an army. I've found that the more I pad it with bechamel, the more people like it. To a point, of course! But a little bolognese sauce goes a mighty long way with lasagne.

Oh, and with home-made fresh pasta in a home-madelasagne, you don't have to boil the pasta sheet first. Just make it, roll it out, cut it to shape and put it into the pan. it will cook through in the dish as you bake it.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Not sure what I'm making yet. It will be just the 4 of us. I love what almost everyone else is making-maybe I'll just unexpectedly show up:winks:

Mattsmom277

I'd love to make pasta Marg! easy child and I are pasta lovers. Sadly most others attending are not. I hadn't thought of the hard boiled dyed eggs. Thank you!!! I was planning on deviled eggs, but now I'm going to instead dye some (love the nylons and leaves idea!). They'll look great I bet!

In speaking with my cousin, I have decided to do a cold meal instead of a hot one. I will try to make some things that "seem" like our normal Easter traditions, but going to alter them more in keeping with a serve yourself when hungry type birthday party thing going on. I will make a ham the day before and serve it sliced and cold rather than the normal hot easter ham. My cousin offered to make her heavenly potato salad instead of mashed potatoes that we'd normally serve with hot ham. In lieu of hot veggies I'll make a veggie tray as well. Then the dyed eggs. Still have to think of a few delicious sides that the kids might be interested but have a adult feeling for a family meal too. Hmm.