What is everyone reading?

Wiped Out

Staff member
I just finished the most recent Janet Evanovich book and also finished reading The Lakota Way and am looking for some new book ideas so bring them on:)

Mom2oddson

I go back and forth between mystery and romance. This spring I finished several by Lisa Gardner. I also read the latest books from Mary Higgins Clark and Carol Higgins Clark. They are easy reading mysteries. On the romance side, I've caught up on reading Kurland and Janet Chapman. They do paranormal romance and continue family lines in their books.

I'm also slowly reading Brain Rules: 12 principles for Surviving and Thriving. It's amazing how the brain works. I really like learning new things. But I have to be in the right mood to read this book. During my lunch I like to escape so I don't read this book then.

The books I have waiting in the wings are by Suzanne Brockman, Lisa Jackson and Stephanie Bond.

DDD

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm reading (halfway reading, actually) the last published book on Theodore Roosevelt's life. husband really enjoyed the first two or three but I'm not getting into this one. Probably my frame of mind.
on the other hand, every time there is a thread I find a few books that I really enjoy. DDD

mstang67chic

Going Green
A very rare occurance....I actually have a few books waiting to be read. Currently though, I'm in the middle of a book by Jefferson Bass called The Bone Thief. The main character is the creator/director of the Body Farm at the University of Tennessee. Jefferson Bass is a pen name for two men. One of them IS the creator of the Body Farm so the book (and series) is a fictionalized version of himself and some of his associates. It's really good but you learn a LOT about various death related aspects of the human body. Not for those who are squeamish.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Wicca and Witchcraft for Dummies - I found it at a yardsale and it's actually been a slow read - but it's interesting to see the history behind other religions. There are a LOT of things in this book that I think JK Rowling loosely borrowed in terms for the HP series. Some of the words and ceremonial rites dating back thousands of years have a familiar ring to a lot of other movies too, which I never had a clue where they came from, and now? I do. I just figured she took a lot of Latin words and transformed them for her own "magickal" use - not so. A lot of it is really historically based. Not my typical read, but never hurts to expand your mind about other's faiths and ways of life. Whether you agree or not isn't the point, being able to agree to disagree - much better plan. Being afraid of things you don't understand - never good.

KTMom91

I'm just finishing "Never a Gentleman" by Eileen Dreyer. It's the second in the Drake's Rakes series. The first one, "Barely a Lady," was really good, too. I like historical romances, time travel, things like that.

I just finished a YA novel called "Warped" by Maurissa Guibord. OMG was it good!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Recently finished "Duma Key" by Stephen King. Not a new book, but I was just getting around to it. I loved it, classic King. Just started reading "The Hunger Games" (Suzanne Collins) at the suggestion of a friend... been awhile since I read a sci-fi-ish book. Not a new book either, but so far, so good.

One I read awhile ago, but was reminded of today because I saw a trailer for the movie coming out: "The Help" by Katheryn Stockett. Awesome book, it made me cry in parts. Hope the movie does it justice.

muttmeister

Our book club is reading My Antonia by Willa Cather and A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff (it's pretty good: set in a vintage clothing store). I've been reading lots ofAlexander McCall Smith - Ladies Number 1 Detective Agency books lately and have also gone back to revisit P.D. James. Also have been working off and on on The Complete Works of O. Henry. Finally read Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo about the little boy who died and went to heaven and came back. Not sure if I swallow it all but it's a lot to think about. Also finally read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (set in biblical times - the story of Dinah). My new favorite author is Carl Hiaasen (laugh out loud weird characters) and I also finished the new Steve Berry book: The Jefferson Key. I've read all of his so far. If you're not into him they're sort of like Dan Brown.

Malika

Glad to discover another P. D. James fan - and to know that she transfers across the Atlantic. I was ill once for a long period and got into reading her; was so impressed by the skill of her writing that I wrote to tell her and she kindly replied, saying that writing was a solitary business and it was good to know that people appreciated it... I am currently reading a book called "All Must Have Prizes" by a British journalist, Melanie Phillips. It;s an indictment of the liberal trends in education that have led to children not being taught facts or given information (or taught to read conventionally) but rather to "discover" for themselves. This has allegedly led to students leaving school unable to read or write properly or construct rational thought in any way... Only reason I'm reading it is because it was part of a job lot I bought from an Australian lady flogging off some books in a French street market. I wouldn't have agreed with the basic thesis before I started but actually it's rather thought-provoking. There's a grain of truth in it at least.

exhausted

Yesterday I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society-lovely book. If you like English Novels old and new with a bit of romance,you'll love it.
I'm going to start The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein next. Story told from the perspective of a dog-sounds very good. Spend so much time reading young adult novels for school, I didn't get on to my adult reading untill this week. But a kid book I recommend, if you enjoy futuristic stuff is The Hunger Games, and its sequels. I don't usually like this stuff, but these I was spell bound by.
I'm always up for an English novel-any recommends?

trinityroyal

I tend to go through phases of reading very "heavy" tomes, interspersed with lighter books. Right now I'm in the midst of a heavy phase, reading The Anglo Saxon Chronicle. I just finished a history of Catholicism and the Crusades. Before that I was reading mysteries, the most recent being Careless in Red. I can't remember the author...Elizabeth somebody-or-other but it was a ripping yarn. Once I get through the latest bout of heavy reading, I'm planning to start in on the pile of James Patterson novels I have sitting on my night-table.

Trinity

H

HaoZi

I'm reading the Harper Connelly series from Charlaine Harris, and Hello Kitty Must Die by Angela Choi. Next on the list is Among Penguins: A Bird Man in Antarctica by Noah Strycker.

svengandhi

i'm currently reading "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. It's on the incoming 12th grade reading list for both AP and non-AP so I got it for difficult child even though he refused to take AP. I am actually appalled that this is on a HS reading list. It's about soldiers in Viet Nam and is filled with profanity and awful descriptions of death and gore. difficult child said he was just going to borrow the book one of his friends is reading - his friend always chooses the easiest book because he's not a good reader and difficult child always borrows his book.

I also love reading crime stories - true crime and stuff like James Patterson, David Baldacci, Harlan Coben.

I have no tolerance anymore for heavy books. Hopefully, someday, I will get my reading groove back.

DammitJanet

I love James Patterson.

I found a book in the clearance section of the grocery store last month and it was a really good book. I read it in two days which for me now is fast. I cant read as fast as I used to anymore. It is called Knock Out by Catherine Coulter. If you can find it, it is a really good book.

svengandhi

I've read Catherine Coulter and enjoyed her stuff. Also, if you like that kind of stuff, try the Kellermans, Jonathan and Faye; they're married. Her hero is a WASP-y cop who converted to Orthodox Judaism and his are a psychologist and his gay cop friend.

trinityroyal

I like the Kellermans as well. Mostly read Jonathan Kellerman, occasionally Faye as well. They collaborated on a book recently and it was very good -- can't remember the title off-hand, but I'll look through the book pile and see if I can find it.

Trinity

Star*

call 911........call 911
Interesting to see what's interesting when you're just starting out to write.

What do you think about a book written from a dogs perspective that is told by the dog who is totally aware she is reincarnated into a middle class struggling family but at one time in her life was an aristocrat and the reader maybe can't quite figure out if the dog is a dead princess telling the story or a dog? These are the tales or Tails of Princess Pootie....

It's where I am presently. Just getting a feel for what you think of my Fictional idea - because to the best of my knowledge? It's a little sixth sense, Anastasia, reincaration and dog - rolled up into one. But I've discussed it with HRM and this is the story she'd like me to tell.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ah the dude dog that comes back to take care of his family? I saw the movie....yes- bugger. Back to the drawing board. (grumble...forgot all about that one, just didn't want to do the Shaggy DA thing) But good call - i want to do something original that you can NOT figure out)

Okay -------paper in the wastebasket - me and poo back on the porch ......lol.