What is everyone reading?

H

HaoZi

Haven't seen the movie, but I read the book about 20 years ago and it stuck with me.

trinityroyal

Star, the originality doesn't have to be in the concept for the story, but in the voice of the story.
Think about romance novels for a moment. All of them boil down to some variation of:

1) Boy and girl meet. Hate each other but are drawn or thrown together
2) Start to get to know each other, and start to hate each other less. Tension grows, sparks fly.
3) Get to like each other, begin romantic interest.
4) She realizes she loves him.
5) Some sort of misunderstanding pushes them apart.
6) He confesses his love for her, sorts out misunderstanding.
7) Happily ever after.

So a story told from the perspective of the dog may have already been told, but not YOUR story and not Pootie's story. Keep on writing, dear Star.

Trinity

DDD

I'd love to have the suggested reading list for high school/college students as a guide to things I've missed..probably more than I missed than I have read, lol. In the 50's, lol, I doubt alot of them were published. Summertime would be the best time to hit the library for school assigned books around here. We have a really nice library but due to the size of our community it's not "deep" and kids go on the waiting list for required books. DDD

Marguerite

I recently finished "Dead Famous" by Ben Elton. It's a satirical murder mystery, set in a Big Brother house kind of setting. Imagine a murder that happens on film, and yet they can't easily work out whodunnit. And what would it do to ratings? And to whether the series continues or not?

I'm now reading an autobiography by Rupert Everett (he was the gay boyfriend in "My Best Friend's Wedding"). It reads like something by Oscar Wilde. Amazing.

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm working on Absolute Power by David Baldacci, and just finished one by Tess Gerritsen, Ice Cold.

I love murder mysteries! Elizabeth George is good, though I like Carl Hiaasen, Diane Mott Davidson, Carole Nelson Douglas, Mary Higgins Clark, Carol Higgins Clark, Lillian Jackson Braun, and a dozen others.

My absolute favorite author of all time is Diana Gabaldon - time travel, historical, murder, medicine, romance, and general mish-mash. She is a fabulous writer. I mean, c'mon... Check out the preface to her first novel, Outlander:

People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.

Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.

Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.

Usually.

This is from http://www.dianagabaldon.com/writing/the-outlander/outlander/excerpt-1-outlander-prologue/ (yes, I cite my references... LOL!)

DammitJanet

Oh I think I have read all the Jonathan Kellerman books unless he has a new one out since the last one I have read. I try to keep up on him. I have even read at least one of their son's. He is good but not quite as good as the parents..lol. I have read most of Kaye but I got out of sync on hers so I try to figure out where I am...which is a pain.