What is everyone serving for Easter dinner?

I am making a ham, sweet potato-marshmellow topped thing, ceasar salad...so far..I would love to hear some of your menu ideas. I am inviting difficult child. If brother in law comes as well, that will make 7 of us. -Alyssa

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'll probably make my favorite ham and a pasta salad with some rolls. I plan on keeping it simple since it's just the four of us. I might try a new dessert though that someone brought to work-it was very yummy-a pistachio (sp?)cake.

SRL

You're thinking about dinner already!!??? I'm having my husband's extended family here for the first time and two days ago I decided to paint the kitchen and family room. It's long overdue!

I have decided to do something scandalous (for this family) and serve some appetizers.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
easy child and some friends from college are coming home...so it will be big and a lot of food!

I'm making a pork loin roast in the crock, then about midway, I will drain the water out and add this delightful Budweiser BBQ sauce that has chunks of onions and other spices in it. That will cook until it is real tender and can be pulled apart with forks. I'm serving this with portugese rolls, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted fennel and some kind of other green veggie.

And we're making hollowed eggs as well as hard boiled - about 3 dozen so easy child can make her famous deviled eggs as an appetizer. We're having an easter egg hunt - yes, I know they are all over 17-21, but they want it and it makes me laugh, so we're doing it. I just hope the weather cooperates!

Oh, I can't wait!

Lothlorien

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're thinking about dinner already!!??? I'm having my husband's extended family here for the first time and two days ago I decided to paint the kitchen and family room. It's long overdue!

I have decided to do something scandalous (for this family) and serve some appetizers. </div></div>

We are having a party for Mighty Mouse next Sat and we are painting our bedroom and having all the carpets cleaned on Tuesday. I don't know how I'm gonna get it all done for his party.

Easter.....haven't thought about it. I'm not doing it this year, so if someone in the rest of the family isn't hosting anything, it'll be a nice quiet day at our house. Sunday is usually macaroni night....so it'll probably be that with some homemade bread.

SRL

I'll share my secret plan with you Loth, I'm going to close and lock the master bedroom door. I'm having the carpets done on Wednesday when the cat is at the vet's. My plan was to have the painting done by then but it was slow going today.

I just moved out a heavy kitchen hutch that hasn't been away from the all in about 3 years. It was scary back there.

I just got an RSVP for Easter at my house. 1 green bean casserole is what we're having so far. ;-)

tiredmommy

Thanks for posting this. I just reminded husband to start hinting to his mother about inviting us there for dinner! :smile:

JJJ

Probably McDonald's LOL

We'll be in Canada that weekend and will spend most of the day & night driving home :smile:

SRL

Ok, I can't put it off any longer. I've got what painting done that's going to be done and I have mountains and mountains of cleaning to do but I need to think about dinner. I'm going to make roast beef sandwiches that are a family favorite of the other side plus I'm going to do a trial run of a pork loin I was told was wonderful and may do that as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29416,00.html

The other day my daughter said we need some new things because it's almost always the same dishes. The old traditions are always good but I've been thinking the same thing the past few years myself.

(Jo-I think it was Jo--I'd be interested in that BBQ sauce for pork)

Someone else will be making this this time but I'll share this Spinach Salad recipe. It's a fabulous salad for anyone wanting something new.

Spinach Salad

Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
onion to taste (recipe calls for ½ medium onion—I use two tablespoons)

Finely chop onion and mix with other ingredients 12 hours in advance.

Salad Ingredients
Spinach, washed & dried
bacon, fried crisp & drained
One 11-ounce can mandarin oranges
mushrooms & avocado (optional)

Just before serving, mix ingredients and toss with dressing.

ScentofCedar

Hmmm....

I don't know what we are going to do. We are on our own down here for all the holidays this year.

In a way?

I hate to get anythig too complicated started!

It's been fun to read the thread and see what everyone else is doing.

Barbara

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
SRL,

Budweiser bbq sauce. My easy child gave me a jar that she received as a gift when shopping around for her upcoming externships - she's going to be in Williamsburg, which I guess is where the Budweiser digs are?? Anyway, I tried some a couple of weeks ago with a small piece of pork loin and it was just incredible tasting. H doesn't really like BBQ, but even he liked it! I guess it had just the right amount of sweet and hot.

Another great thing to make with a pork loin roast in the crock is Carnitas. You basically cook the roast all day in a chicken broth/water (just covering the roast), with onions, chiles and italian spices. When it's done, you put it in a pan, fat side up, and broil it for about 5 minutes till the top is crispy. Take it out and shred with two large forks, serve with typical fixins like spanish rice, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatos, and flour tortillas - carnita burritos! Yum.

I copied that spinach salad recipe - H loves that.

KFld

I'm making reservations :smile:

Just hubby and I. easy child daughter will be with boyfriend's family for the first time, and difficult child always hated holiday dinners. We will pick difficult child up in the morning, have breakfast, then they will go there own ways, and we'll go out. I was dissapointed at first, but now I'm looking forward to it. All I have to shop for is pancake mix and blueberries :smile:

SRL

Thanks for the recipe tips, Jo! I was hoping the BBQ sauce was homemade but a good bottled sauce is handy too. I make pork roast shredded for sandwiches occasionally and it's always nice to have a change of sauce.

I tried the pork loin with fig and port wine sauce and it was very yummy. In fact, so yummy it's all gone! The only thing I would change would be do do the pork low temp and slow as it was a bit tough for my tastes at the higher temp. The sauce is amazing--at first it's this very sweet wine overwhelming the flavors and then it mellows and deepens into a very nice sauce to compliment the pork. I don't know if I'll do it for Easter but I will definitely do it again and serve it with a wild rice medley.