What is it with Men, Women, and Temperature? - UGH!!!!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I'm wondering if every household has this argument...?

It's that time of year - and so the air conditioner is now off....and we are trying so darn hard NOT to turn the heat on. And it's still warming up pretty good during the day...so this should not be a problem.

So what's the problem?

husband!!!! (Of course, if you ask him, he will tell you the problem is me...)

husband likes to open the windows at night. OK...fine. I like a little fresh air, too.

But the other night, the temp dropped down into the forties. husband had the windows open - with the window fan pulling in the cold air - PLUS the ceiling fan over our bed running.

When I woke up at 6 am I was SOOO *&%$ COLD!!!

husband, of course, argued with me that it was NOT cold, because the thermostat in the other room (without the open windows and fans) read 71 degrees.

Last night, the temp dropped to the fifties. I made husband shut off the ceiling fan and keep the window fan on "Low".

This morning, husband is furious because he feels "way too hot" and he didn't sleep well and it's all my fault.

The thermostat in the next room read "74 degrees".

So....you tell me. What is it with men and women and temperature?

And just how darn cold do I have to be before he is happy????

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't know what it is, but I have a solution: buy a heated mattress pad with dual controls. You can turn your side on and husband can have the window open with the fan running and everyone is happy.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Daisy, honey, go get yourself a heated blanket. About a 1/2 before bed, turn it up high and then when you slip into bed, turn it down to low/medication. You will be snuggly and he can freeze his you know what off if he wants!

I think he should be willing to compromise by leaving the window open a bit but no fans pulling in the cold air.

We have a heated blanket with dual controls. I like to be snug as a bug in a rug at night AND I like the windows open for fresh cool air. HOWEVER, H is like a furnace and while he may initially scoot over to my side when he first gets into bed for some warmth, he almost immediately becomes too hot and scoots back over to his side, which is good because I am so over the spooning while falling asleep thing. I need my own space. Heck, I'd love my own room.

Speaking of having your own room, until the weather decides it's going to remain cooler, can he sleep somewhere else so you don't have to freeze? At least maybe for another couple of weeks?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Daisy in our younger days husband used to freeze me out...............seriously the man wanted the window open a crack in the middle of winter.

Then I went thru menopause and did the same thing to him. lol

Now that he's older........doesn't take much to make him cold when I'm hot.

But yeah we've still got the air conditioners in, but at least he hasn't tried to turn them on. lol

Pretty common issue with couples, at least those I know of.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
husband will sleep with covers piled on him, and I'm a snuggler when I'm asleep. But his feet have to be out, or he gets too hot. And I occasionally wake up sweating from all the covers.

We don't have a ceiling fan in our room now, thank heavens. The dry air used to make my throat sore. Every darned day.

I want one of those dual-control heating blankets, though...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I don't know what it is, but I have a solution: buy a heated mattress pad with dual controls. You can turn your side on and husband can have the window open with the fan running and everyone is happy.

Hmmm...

I didn't even know they made those!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Speaking of having your own room, until the weather decides it's going to remain cooler, can he sleep somewhere else so you don't have to freeze? At least maybe for another couple of weeks?

I would LOVE that! He could go sleep in the tent in the back yard or something. LOL!

Unfortunately, husband has this old-fashioned idea that husbands and wives must ALWAYS sleep in the same bed. ALWAYS. He has, in fact, used this theory to try and get me to go all kinds of places with him where I didn't want to be (camping in the middle of winter, for example). So far - he has not been able to get me to go camping in the cold and I have not been able to get him to a different room when he's too hot.

muttmeister

As one of the people who is always hot, it always seemed to me that you could always pile on more blankets if you were cold but, if you're hot there's only so much you can take off. The heated blanket and mattress pad sound like good ideas.

Mattsmom277

I'm guilty of the same as your husband. I have windows open and the temps are dipping very low at night. I also keep the ceiling fan going and my table fan is pointed at the bottom of the bed. I absolutely cannot sleep in a room without cool rotating fresh air, even mid winter (which for northern Canada can often mean -40 celcius with wind chill). It has gotten even worse now that I'm going through what I feel certain is peri menapause. I honestly do feel bad for my S/O. I simply don't know what other option is available since if we shut the window and/or fans, I can't sleep at all.

Because I feel badly for S/O, I try to soften the blow in small ways. I always make sure his side of the bed has heavy warm blankets ready to crawl into and a spare one on the chest on his side of the bed. I also make certain before bed every night that I have put his warm slippers and a heavy robe on his side of the bed too. Otherwise getting up in the middle of the night for the washroom or crawling out in the morning, can be completely miserable as he'll be warm under the blankets and then have to get up and face a freezing cold room.

DammitJanet

I am one who HAS to have a cold room to be able to breathe. I love piling on warm blankets though. The heated mattress pads are wonderful! Walmart sells them for about the same price as electric blankets. I actually want one of each. Tony is hot natured and cant stand sleeping on one so I just got a twin sized and keep it on my side. I do think I am going to get a queen with twin controls though since I gave my old one to Cory. ( I bought my last one for using on my old King sized bed and now I have a queen bed) Cory and Mandy are so small they can both snuggle up on the twin sized pad...lol. Ahh to be that young!

If you want to spend slightly more you can get the heated mattress pads with no wires but they are rather expensive and I really dont feel the wires especially if you put a flannel sheet over the pad.

susiestar

Roll With It
One of the secrets to staying warm in bed is the order of your blankets, not how many you have. Years ago my parents replaced their top sheets with polar fleece fabric. My mom found some big lengths when it couldn't be easily found in stores yet. It was sort of an accident - my dad got really cold one evening and snagged them out of the dryer - Mom had prewashed them prior to starting a project. If you put the fleece or even the newer plush blankets next to your skin, and put a blanket over the fleece blanket, it will keep you the warmest.

If you get really cold, use the heated mattress pad (they are safer than electric blankets because blankets can get folds in them which in time damage the wires in electric blankets and make them fire hazards and burn hazards - mattress pads don't crease or fold, and the heat is kept between you and/or your blankets and the mattress, so they work better than the blankets because the blankets), and then put the fleece blanket on you and then cover that with another blanket or two - you will stay toasty warm all night!!

My parents use two lengths of fleece as their sheets in the winter because other wise they fight over having it pulled all the way up or not. But they always keep another blanket over it - the fleece works with body heat and the blanket on top keeps that heat in. If there is a fleece blanket on top of another blanket on top of you, the fleece gets little body heat or heat from the mattress pad to hold in - part of the way fleece works is to hold in heat. If it doesn't get the heat, it cannot keep it in - and having a blanket between you and the fleece works that way.

husband just suffers with what I want. I get really hot, and sometimes in winter I want a window open, partly because I get fevers for no reason as part of the health mess I deal with, partly because I just get hot because the surgical menopause ****. Now Jessie gets hot flashes with her periods and SHE wants things to be really cold then, so he has 2 of us and just doesn't argue with us.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm usually the freezing one but last night I had the window open (got down to low 30s) and today husband turned the heat on!!

KTMom91

I'm the one who is always hot, and Hubby is complaining because we have windows open and the ceiling fan going.

Miss KT says I'm a yeti.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Daisy -

I'm laughing...really laughing. Beacuse I live with a Swedish man who sweats if a fan is blowing on him and the room is 54 degrees. I have Raynauds and literally feel like the Tinman in the Wizard of Oz. NO joke. He's had the AIR on every night here even when it's been 40....with ceiling fan AND floor fan.

I laugh......because I can't wait to move to Ohio. I shall love locking him out of the house when he sleep walks the next time nature calls.
I laugh......because I can't wait for full blown Menopause. We're 9.5 years apart....so by the time my menopause kicks in and <<<<IIIIII>>>> need it 54 degrees in the house???? He's going to be this little, old, brittle man searching for a heating blanket, and I'm going to hide every last source of warmth and comfort there is while yelling "Oh MY GOSH you have GOT to be kidding? You're COLD? YOU can't be cold!!! YOU CAN NOT BE COLD! Well okay I guess I can turn the ceiling fan off but do you see me? I'm sweating like a butcher here. Then turn the air down to about 43 and scrape snow and frost off the inside of the windows, make a snow ball and bean him in the back of the head with it.