What is the local headline in your town today?

KTMom91

Today we had the news that the 13 yo girl who put her little sisters in the car and drove off was found alive and well. No word yet on why she stole her uncle's car and his gas card...but she DID put the 2 yo in her car seat!

Lothlorien

a lot of the news here, in NJ has been about Corzine raising the tolls and adding tolls to major highways. Locally, there's been a lot of car crashes, especially involving young drivers and many deaths.

fedup

3rd largest Meth lab in state found, 128 Marijuana plants worth $128,000. One person arrested.

Lots about our public schools due to recent change in Superinetnedant.

Missing baby found - with relative.

Shootings and other deaths.

These are the main stories on 3 of the local internet news sites.

susiestar

Roll With It
I quit getting the paper because they can't spell anything correctly and they can't even get the basic facts correct in most anything. Heck, even the grocery ads end up with multiple corrections due to the paper staff "fixing" them. Drives me nuts.

But the weather is ALWAYS a big story here.

Susie

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Our local paper (weekly) has a front page story celebrating 10 Year Anniversary of Kinship (mentor adult/child) matches. Nice picture of local woman with her Kinship match girl when they first met, side by side with the current picture of the same two people. Heartwarming.

Also an article about possible Wisconsin Wolf Hunt season. Hmmmmmm.....

Under the fold (our town isn't THAT small, I guess) runs the story of how our local County board owes the State $501K!!!! They're calling it an "unintentional error". The section of the County board who made the mistake is the Developmental Disabilities Services! That's not who I work for, but it's who FUNDS who I work for!!!!!!!! (A separate, non-profit entity)

My boss attends their Board Meetings (I'm allergic, WAY too much politics) and she keeps explaining to me that it's all an "Auditing Problem" She tries to tell me it's all about billing rates and under-reported expenses. Yeah. Whatever.

I've thought for YEARS that their accounting procedures were hinkie. WE bill THEM for our services. But THEY tell US what our billing rates will be! Say what?
:check_writer:
Will be quite interesting to watch this play out. Hopefully, none of this can come back to bite me! We have different auditors, and I've been assured year after year that all is well with our books.

Peace

DammitJanet

Well these are our top headlines for today!

Top Stories:
  • Teenager charged with assaulting man
  • Grant funds fight against diabetes
  • Keep pets warm during the dog days of winter
  • Watts takes his seat
Check out the links and the bail under the teenager...omg...5K!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ha!! Not sure if this happened here, but saw a news segment about a teen who killed his mother because she scolded him for drinking straight out of the milk carton. (Stabbed her to death.) husband quickly picked up a knife because I'm the biggest culprit of doing that.:devil:

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Today's top news stories up here in our area of CT were:

Ex-Governor Rowland (AKA Jailbird indicted of corroption) has been offered a lucrative position in Waterbury by it's city's Mayor. The job, ironically, would place Rowland into a position where he would be negotiating contracts with outside vendors for services within the city - the very thing he was indicted for as Governor of our state. Hmph!

and

A 19 year old man was arrested after he hit and young girl and ran last January, killing a student at UCONN. Apparently, his difficult child encouraged him to 'just keep going!" and when he told his parents, back in NYS, they also encouraged him to keep the hit and run a secret and even provided an alliby for him! He was sentenced yesterday (one day after the one year anniversary of the girl's death) to 3 years and 1 month in jail, 5 years probation, $500/year payment to a memorial fund for each year of probation, and 100 hours of community service for each year of probation. His girlfriend is up for trial shortly as are his parents. He started the first day of his sentence today.

and

There is a group of resident waging war in a nearby town over a company's plans to build a biodiesal plant in an already industrialized area of their town.

Calista

This is our "Top Story"

Shoup, Pomeroy honored
The 'godfather' of the Brenham Childrens Chorus and an advocate for special needs children were honored Tuesday as 'Man and Woman of the Year.'

It's a small town. What can I say

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The headline in town where I work today is that a chain saw attack on counselors at a work rehab center for homeless people was premeditated by a schizophrenic man.

And there's a place online to post comments about the story - the comments from the people in this community are hideous.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Shari that is so sad... much like our headlines...
But we had an added bonus of...
The School District is projecting a loss of $2,223,500. A reduction of 33.43 staff positions. Of course Special Education and Para-professionals will be effected...
We only have around 10,000 people in our community!!!
Oh and in our other town down south, Couer DAlene, a kid brought guns, rifles, loaded to the high school....

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, Totoro, my bro used to live near Cour d'Alene. So sad to hear of kids bringing weapons to school. Hope no one was hurt. His close friends there all homeschool, so their family is problem safe.

Hugs,

Susie