What is this called? Constant need to interact with anyone or anything

TerryJ2

Great points, Pepperidge.

Agee, I think once-a-mo or more often therapy appts for yourself are a good idea. Just let it all out. And the therapist may have some good leads for you, too.
I occasionally take Xanax, but mostly just at night, so I can quit downloading info in my brain and relax enough to sleep. Effexor is great, too, but it takes weeks to kick in.
Wine is nice, depending upon your reaction to it. As Marg said, it reduces her ability to manage the kids. For me, it reduces my NEED to manage the kids, LOL! It makes me calm and giggly. It all depends upon your metabolism. If I really need to be on the ball, I stick with-scrips, because they don't make you less functional or forgetful or tired like alcohol does. Just some random thoughts ...
:)

susiestar

Roll With It
You were greatly shortchanged by your Occupational Therapist (OT). The real blessing of Occupational Therapist (OT) is brushing therapy. You NEED to be taught how to do it by an Occupational Therapist (OT) because done wrong it can cause real problems. Done right it is PROVEN to help the creation of new ways for the brain to process sensory info. PROVEN. NOT INVASIVE. MAKES THE BRAIN WORK BETTER.

This is explained in technical detail in the out of sync child. More detail than is needed to do the therapy. It is one reason I try to suggest Occupational Therapist (OT) early. We have had the one private Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation and then school evaluations for thank you. I didn't know about it early enough to help Wiz with it. By doing the brushing at home with brushes I got off the internet we were able to help my youngest child in ways that were far better and more effective than medications were for many eyars. He is still not on medications, and I firmly believe that if we had not done the Occupational Therapist (OT) and worked with The Explosive Chilld and other things then thank you would have an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis. As it is he only has a Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) diagnosis, though I see huge amounts of aspie in him. More classic aspie than his brother.

If you know an Occupational Therapist (OT), or can call on the school Occupational Therapist (OT), maybe they would teach you the brushing theraapy.

Marguerite

Thanks for the reminder, Susie. I'll ask our unofficial Occupational Therapist (OT) (easy child) about brushing therapy.

Marg

A

agee

Thanks everyone!
re: notebook. I do keep one, kind of. For about a month now. Actually, since we stopped the stims. It is helpful, if only to get my feelings out on paper instead of screaming them. His triggers: saying No, setting boundaries, turning off the TV, transitions.
re:Occupational Therapist (OT). Brushing was not recommended. He was/is sensory seeking. Maybe I misunderstood at the time but what I was told they'd do with him was large muscle movement, crashing, slamming, hard pressure, etc. He has always enjoyed a good squeeze. This is one of the things we do often. He also takes daily baths - these are very helpful after school when very wound up. At the time - and still now - we simply could not afford that price tag. Perhaps the neuropsychologist will be able to recommend it and our new insurance plan (a health savings plan) will allow us to include it in the deductible. Our school system does not recognize sensory integration dysfunction as something that effects learning, so they supply no services for it.
re: WOW factor in medications - this is precisely what I've been struggling with. Everything so far has just been so-so, but since they kind of control symptoms (specifically, stims) we've stuck with them. But I can't help but think that we've just been wasting time.
Anyhoo - thanks again to everyone. I really, really appreciate you all and I appreciate this "place." I would be feeling more lost than usual without finding you.
A
16 days 'til our neuropsychologist appointment!

Marguerite

Oh boy, does this all sound familiar!

A couple of things to try with the pressure thing - try to find ways of helping HIM apply pressure to himself. The weighted vests work, so do weighted blankets. The weights we got are calico sandbags, like long fingers with double-stitched seams filled with sand. Each little bag weighs 200 g and they fit into long narrow pockets on the vest we had made (also calico/lightweight denim). YOu could improvise something like this yourself, or you could go shopping for flexible weights, like those weighted wrist bands that you can wrap around a wrist and attach with velcro.

Something else we found that worked - a hammock. We hung a cargo net from our tree and the boys would crawl into it and tie themselves up in it and hang there. The open weave meant they were safe from suffocation or anything (and they felt safe) but they also had control over it and could crawl out when they'd had enough.

Another thing that helped - big cardboard boxes. We had a new washing machine delivered (THAT was another fun story!) and the boys commandeered the box. difficult child 1 cut a small round window in the box and set it up to face the TV, then the boys lined the box with cushions and they both climbed in. At one point difficult child 1 had the leads to his game controllers snaking through the little round window and was playing his games from inside the box.
Or you could use one of those little plastic cubby houses that are on sale. We were given one when the kids were little, I used to throw a blanket over the top to make it dark. I actually did this when treating the kids for croup when they were tiny (I would push a small contact lens boiler under the edge of the tent to make steam) but the kids loved being in that tent. I used to shove in a small lap table, some paper and crayons. Or Barbie dolls.

Whatever the diagnosis, I found the best option was to start where the child is. Give him what he wants and craves in as many different ways as you can, then from there, slowly move to a position off bringing him from his space into yours. Led him from doing things his way to doing things you way, but slowly, bit by bit.

This is the best way to begin, especially if there are problems with transitioning.

Marg

A

agee

I've ordered a weighted vest. Thanks to whomever first suggested this. I'd forgotten about it.
difficult child has a cardboard box in his room! He loves it. Sometimes he sleeps in it.Often if he's up in the night we'll find him in there during the day. When he went off stims he spent the 2 days he slept in that box. Hmmmm....
Again - thanks for the help. I am trying to be calm momma. Right now it's not the kid that's bothering me so much as going back to work tomorrow (I work in a school; we've been off for break). But in 2 weeks I get to give notice for June so I NEED to get over this.
Man oh man.
A