What light source do you use when storms knock out the electricity?

svengandhi

We have a gas generator (actually two). During the Northeast blackout of 2003, our house was the only one around that had TV and AC. We occasionally lose power for a while when there's a blizzard or a lightning strike, but the blackout was the only time we had more than 4 hours out.

We also keep flashlights all over the place. I keep one in my purse because my area is kind of dark at night and while I'm not afraid of criminals, the way some of my neighbors keep their walkways is very dangerous.

H

HaoZi

This might sound stupid, but what exactly is a "rolling blackout"? I've heard the phrase, along with "rolling brownout," but that's about it.

nvts

I simply let the beaming smiles from my adoring children's faces illuminate my way...NOT!

Flashlights...IF the batteries are good...IF no one took out the bulb to play "Uncle Fester" and IF it's where I left it...

:groan:

Beth

DammitJanet

i might get a generator this year, a small one, just to keep everything in my room going plus the fridge. We could live in my room with a window unit and tv and my laptop.

witzend

I have a boatload of candles, so if I needed them I would probably use that. But all of our lines are buried, so unless something hits a transformer we're good.

witzend

This might sound stupid, but what exactly is a "rolling blackout"? I've heard the phrase, along with "rolling brownout," but that's about it.

They're both the same thing. This is when the power company shuts off your power to conserve resources. (It's a ploy for money, but I won't go there.) They'll do a neighborhood for a few hours here, then do another neighborhood for a few hours there, then another. They never seem to get around to the wealthy neighborhoods, or big business buildings. Supposedly they give warnings so if you are dependent upon power for your health you can go to a facility that has a generator. Think Enron.

skeeter

We've lost power for several hours 2 times this spring, which is the first time since Ike came through. Lot of trees have been stressed from dry summers and harsh winters and winds are bringing them down.

Our "emergency" kit is several mag-lites (a couple 2AA and a 3C), a battery camping light (not a full Coleman, although we do have one of those), a NOAA radio and a battery powered radio. The camping light goes in the bathroom. Being on city water (I grew up on a cistern, so get the idea of filling the tank) we don't have to worry about water. Our water heater is gas, so that will stay on, too, but we have hot water heat, so without electricity, no pump to run it.

If push came to shove, my car has a converter plug, so husband could make coffee out there. We had a 12V coffee pot, but it was too darn slow for him.

H

HaoZi

They're both the same thing. This is when the power company shuts off your power to conserve resources. (It's a ploy for money, but I won't go there.) They'll do a neighborhood for a few hours here, then do another neighborhood for a few hours there, then another. They never seem to get around to the wealthy neighborhoods, or big business buildings. Supposedly they give warnings so if you are dependent upon power for your health you can go to a facility that has a generator. Think Enron.

Thanks witz!