What medications seem to help bipolar??

Huntersmom

Ok we have narrowed it down, the autism doesn't drive me nuts, it's the bipolar. My six yr old difficult child got sucidal so I told them no more antidepressants. they up'd seroquel and depakote. All was absolutely PERFECT last month, we actually ENJOYED each other during spring break. Now he won't listen to therapist or me (AGAIN) should I ask for lithium?? should I just crawl under a rock?? aren't these medications suppose to STOP the mood swings??? By the way, Kansas does have much better resources than Georgia for those of you who remember I moved, however the weather stinks!!!!

LittleDudesMom

Hey Tina,

haven't seen you in awhile - good to hear from you. Wish there was a magic answer for you. But, you have been here long enough to know that works for one, doesn't always work for another. Mood stabilizers first seem to be what most here on the board have had success with, then additional medications for other issues. I know a number of members have had success with Lithium but again, it depends on the person.

Take care - hope you find some answers.

Sharon

lordhelpme

still waiting on that answer here. we are on the low end of trileptal working our way up with- no true signs of it working yet. of course that is just the mood swings still need the therapy to help with-the anger management and as you know at this age it is hard for them to comprehend the consequences.

Stella Johnson

I think you should talk to the psychiatrist about his symptoms and let the psychiatrist make the medication decisions. Marching in and demanding a drug because you saw on the board that it worked well on someone else's kid is not the way to go.

Just MHO.

steph

BusynMember

Unfortunately, nobody can know what medication will help your child. Although the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) may not bother you as much as the bipolar, I strongly recommend getting INTENSIVE Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) interventions in place. If she becomes stable, then the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) could impede his ability to be a functioning adult--you kind of have to attack both disorders on their own levels. I can't tell you what will help your child the most, but we have had good luck with Lamictal and with discontinuing both antidepressants and stimulants. On the news today, there are more warnings about antidepressants in kids. I wish the doctors didn't ignore these warnings. So many kids seem to get worse/rageful/suicidal on antidepressants, but psychiatrists prescribe them like crazy anyways. Good luck finding the right mix for you and look into school interventions for autism because that never goes away and bipolar can actually BE Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), untreated. We had that.

oceans

I would find out from the psychiatrist if he is at a good therapeutic level...might need a blood draw, and if he is than decide if he needs an addition or a change. I am not certain of the therapeutic levels of that one.

BusynMember

Lithium has the highest success rate for bipolar. Our psychiatrist said it was 80-90%. The others were not as high. It does have side effects, but they all do. My daughter not only felt cognitive dulling on Depakote and wouldn't take it; she got ovarian cysts. It's all hit or miss. You must give a mood stabilizer a good eight weeks before you can say it didn't work.