What music would you want at your funeral?

nvts

I know this is a morbid subject - but I've been hitting the funeral home a lot lately and find the music sooooo depressing. I'm writing a play list for when I go to the "great squirrels nest in the sky" and was curious what people would consider fun (I believe in putting the "fun" back in funeral!).

So far (as inspired by the Big Chill) I've got "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - Rolling Stones
Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum (gotta be a little religious)
The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels
55 - Five for Fighting

and a bunch of others (Gotta have "Ain't To Proud to Beg").

In the funeral home at the end of the wake, I want them to pipe through "Linus and Lucy" from the Peanuts cartoons.

Any ideas?

Beth

nvts

Oh yeah - I'm not allowing flowers (they're expensive and make me sneeze) balloons only to be released at the cemetary. Closed casket, if possible open bar.

:bigsmile::church::devil::dont_know::angel:

DammitJanet

Well I dont plan to have a funeral but we have been thinking quite a bit about them lately and one song we have decided will be played if...god forbid...anything happens to Jamie is Riverbank. It really says it all when you think about him and our family.

KTMom91

My first thought was "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as well...loved The Big Chill!

Gotta have "Rhiannon", my all time favorite song.

Isn't there some old boy band song about Bye, Bye, Bye? That sounds appropriate. And along the same lines...See ya later, Alligator.

I'll keep thinking about it and see what else I come up with.

mstang67chic

Going Green
How about that one that goes...I'm leaving, on a jet plane. I don't know if I'll be back again.

*snort*

I've actually thought about this now and again over the years. Not really sure why but I have. I can't really think of any songs in particular for "messages" to people or that relates to me but I know I want upbeat, rocking songs.

And I LOVE the idea of a closed casket and open bar!!!!!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Amazing Grace, celtic instrumental..............

followed by "hell is for children" by Pat Benatar (kidding!)

Andy

My mother in law had her funeral planned out. easy child was 6 years old and sang Amazing Grace at the funeral. She has a beautiful voice and sounded so nice.

I love celtic music also.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, hmmmmmmm. Never thought to actually get down and dirty and discuss songs for my funeral. lol Although we have discussed "pulling the plug" ect. And I've told them I don't want no crying. I want to hear laughter. And if I don't hear laughter, I'm gonna haunt the hell out of them.:ghost::ghost:

Ask anyone who's ever been at a funeral with me........My aunt used to call me an Old Soul because I'd bring out every funny happy thing I could remember about the person, which would start others doing the same, and so on and tears would turn to laughter. I've done it since I was a very small child. Which is why I think my aunt would call me an Old Soul. (I hope anyway lol)

Spririt in the Sky for sure. It's one of my fav's. Devil went down to Georgia is another. Disturbia ( a new hit out) Love that song. lol

No depressing blah music for me, please. I want to be sent off with a bang.:D

nvts

Daisy! That's what started me off on this! I'm watching all of these people, milling around, feeling terrible when throughout this one woman's life, she lived each day like it was a celebration.

NO WAY! I want people to celebrate who I was and where I'm going (hopefully! lol!). I want up beat! I want them to remember I had fun, that my "life quote" was "nothing's worth doing if you can't have fun with it, somehow, someway!"

Mississippi Queen - by Mountain
Don't Mess Around With Jim - by Jim Croce (don't pull on Superman's cape, don't spit in the wind - it's perfect advice!)
This Song is Over - by the Who
Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues

Loud, fun, foot-tapping and fun...balloons and an open bar! If they won't allow an open bar, maybe a 6 foot sub "on top of the closed box!"

:vampire:

This could be fun!

Beth

everywoman

My grandmother actually went to the funeral home, picked out her own casket, made her own arrangements with the director, and paid the bill the july before she passed in September. In August, during her last hospital stay, she Difficult Child'd all medications and "intereventions" and told the doctors that she was not fighting anymore. Then she spoke to the preacher and picked the songs---Amazing Grace, Victory in Jesus, and another about good works on earth. Then, she went home to die. She told us all she knew we weren't ready for her to go, but she was ready. She died three days later, in her home, in her bed, just the way she wanted.

And people wonder why I have "control" issues!!!LOL
For my memorial service (no funeral for me please) I want Green Day's "I had the time of my life" played. Because, really, I have.

F

flutterbee

Come on, Baby, light my fire......

I want to be cremated. :D

But, seriously, Like a Stone by Audioslave. Look up the lyrics and you'll understand.

witzend

Well, I'd have to do Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", "Ooh, Child" by Nina Simone, "Angel From Montgomery" by Bonnie Raitt, "One Love" and "Jammin" by Bob Marley, "Oh Happy Day" by The Edwin Hawkins Group.

How about "Lay Down Sally", "Don't Think Twice (It's alright)", and "Rock Steady" by Aretha, just to top it off.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm donating my corpse to either a cadaver U or the body farm.

I would like the ambulance to blare - "They're coming to take me Away ha ha ho ho he he to the body farm, where men in their nice white coats watch me rot."

And if someone insists on putting me IN the earth?

Down in a hole by Alice in Chains.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG beth - If you go before me? I promise to put an IPOD in your casket and hit the remote from a pew.....

mmmmmm hmmmm hmmmmmhmmm hmmmm hmmmm da do da do do dooooo

Don't worry - be happy!

:surprise:

Jena

Hi

Ok open bar for my funeral and after party..............
I do not want any casket, or even open casket yuck!!! :(
Instead I'd like a big picture of me and people could sign on the picture..........sort of like at a sweet 16 lol......
buffet, yup food is necessary..........and lastly i know the answer to what was asked...

Sweet Home Alabama
I love that song!!