What say you all -- could decongestant be activating?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 2 has my bug, and I don't know if it's because I'm letting him sleep more because he's sick, or because he's had a decongestant the last two nights (phenylephrine hydrochloride), but he is taking a really long time to settle down and get to sleep. He's also been more tempermental -- not sure if it's because he's sick, or a side-effect of the decongestant, or just his age... It's just not typical for him, so of course, I wonder.

LittleDudesMom

Since he's been sick, it's really hard to say. The most common side effect of phenylephrine hydrochloride is hypertension, but I could see where it would be harder to settle at night, especially if you have slept more than usual or don't feel well. I can also see why he might be out of sorts. Has it been a really long time since he's been sick like this?

Sharon

Marguerite

It could be either.

I used to find tat it was change in his condition that caused the worst behaviour problems in difficult child 3. In other words, while he was getting sicker (or coming down with the bug but still asymptomatic) he would be a lot worse, than when he was at his worst with the bug. And again as he was recovering, he would be more difficult.

We also fund that when he was on antihistamines, it seemed to over-ride his stimulants and stop them from working properly.

Sorry I can't give you any more clues. I think you are dealing with too many variables.

Marg

klmno

Most of the decongestents I gave difficult child were also an antihistamine and yes, they revved him up. But he was always revved up when he had allergies and even moreso if he had a virus or sinus infection on top of it. While I'm thoroughly convinced that the medications used to treat these illnesses and try to prevent athsmatic wheezing contributed, I'm starting to think maybe the lack of sleep and "feeling out of it" was enough to cause difficult child to become disruptive.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks, ladies. He's not taking any asthma stuff (this is difficult child 2 -- no asthma). He is taking an antibiotic, though I've not heard that those can interact with psychiatric medications...

Marg, I think you're right -- too many variables.

Even when he had the flu, he didn't get "wound up" -- maybe because he was running a fever and felt like garbage most of the time. He did get cough syrup and decongestant towards the end of the flu episode, but I really didn't notice any impact in his behavior.

SW, I haven't checked with psychiatrist about this, but perhaps I should.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I can not STAND the way the "new" replacement for psuedoephedrine makes me feel. Its absolutely awful and I won't take it. It makes me nervous, "tic-y", I feel like I'm a caffiene high from hades and like I'm shaking all the time (tho in reality no one notices it).

Could he feel the same way?

I put my name on the meth list and buy the psuedoephedrine. It works better and doesn't make me feel like a circus side show.

DammitJanet

Shari...Im with you. I hate the fake sudafed. Doesnt work as well and makes me fell worse. I am also on the meth list and have to feel like a drug dealer and buy the real stuff.

Isn't allegra over the counter now? And in generic? I'm thinking allegra + sudafed extended release = allegra D?? I remember my allergist having me do some combo of this sort at one time, because he wanted me to mimimize my use of the decongestant as much as possible. I'm sure that sudafed is the "D" in most of those antihistamine-D drugs. I also know I've bought it (over the counter but behind the counter) in extended release form. I think it comes in 12 and 24 hour both, along with the immediate release ones, generic too.

Marguerite

I'm not certain, but I think in Australia we can still buy Sudafed but we do have to ask for it specifically from the pharmacist, and he's not allowed to hand over too much at once. I think we also have to have our Medicare number linked to the purchase, which means we'll be restricted in how much we buy (ie reasonable personal use only). (Medicare is our nationalised health system; every Aussie family/individual has a unique Medicare number). Pharmacists who supply larger amounts can get their licence pulled. And a lot worse ("ton of rectangular building things") can land on them.

I have to go pick up my antibiotics later on today, I'll ask then out of curiosity.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
I won't go near Sudafed! Years ago I tried it twice-both times it had me so revved up and my heart was racing. (Guess that's my way of thinking it could be activating.)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I also find the "new" decongestants that can't be made into methamphetamine to be useless. They not only don't work very well, but they make me squirrely as well.

I have to get the stuff from the pharmacist and it annoys me every time. Heck, I don't even know HOW to make meth beyond the manufacture likely involving the use of flammable solvents because you do hear of "meth labs" exploding or catching fire from time to time.

Yep, my internist even compared sudafed to "speed." Definitely activating for most people. Also a blood pressure hazard for most people. That's when I ran into the opposition from ALL my doctors about taking any antihistamine-D. I'd been on first Claritin-D, then Zyrtec-D, and then Allegra-D for many years until the blood pressure issue upset the balance. The compromise made was for me to do the "make my own" combo I described in the earlier post and use the decongestant sparingly and monitor my blood pressure. That's why I'm so sure it's sudafed that is the active "D" ingredient in all those drugs. Over the years, my body has gotten so used to the sudafed that it doesn't budge my blood pressure, but the doctors still don't like for me to use it.

So, YES. Definitely that one is activating for most people, but I don't know about the newer substitute asked about in the original post.

DammitJanet

The old sudafed isnt activating for me but then I have been taking it since I was a mere tot. It was the first pill I learned to swallow.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ditto, Janet. I can take copious quantities of the original with no reaction. One of the new ones is awful. And I don't know what it decongests, but its not mynose.

So, G-mama. Have we helped you out any?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
He wasn't taking pseudoephedrine. He was taking the "fake" stuff, aka phenylephrine hydrochloride.

He didn't get any tonight and he's bouncing around at nearly 10:30pm again.

Now I'm wondering if this is the result of the Seroquel XR we reduced by 100mg at lunchtime about a month ago now...

Marg is right... too many variables.

Heck! What would the doctor/pharmacist say about a stiff dose of good ole-fashioned benedryl? Dry him up and knock him out at the same time?

Or some of that homemade vodka cough medicine Janet described in the other thread? It sounds to me like that stuff would settle you down whether you had a cough or not!

At least you know you can give him the decongestant if it helps at all...since that is apparently not the variable keeping him awake.