What stops dogs from chewing wood?

Star*

call 911........call 911
What about taking Ace in - collar and leash on....to the dining table and putting him in a heal, sit position. Then just sitting. Place him in a down position near the table leg. Let him stay in the down position near the legs. Let him lay there long enough to get bored and get a good look at the table leg? If he starts to get chewey - give a corrective firm NO and a snap of the leash and repeat this a few times, with every leg, every day? Until he gets the idea that Mom says "NO." every time I go near the table?

Behavior modification 101.

Mattsmom277

Lots of great ideas here!!! I am very big on the kennel. Since Ace likes it, how about teaching him to stay for short periods with the door shut, then extending the time period. When you use it as a tool, it is so effective. When you can't supervise, he can be in his kennel. They learn to like it and feel so safe, even with the door shut. I found when i was kennel training, if he's been in there for a while, it is more effective to take him outside when you open the kennel. Either for a walk, or a quick chase the ball/frisbee/whatever in the yard to burn off the extra energy from lazing around the kennel. It gives a structure to their day, they come to rely on the play time afterwards, and are often more attached to you and eager for your affection when they come out so less likely to get into mischief. I've found that my dogs, those who were well behaved and potty trained, left alone in the house to their devices, eventually over time the boredom gets them and they get into mischief. But once their day has more structure, the schedule becomes routine and they are less likely to chew etc. Worth a shot!

The tabasco sauce works too. Yes, they won't like the hot feeling and you'll probably feel bad for them. But it won't happen often for them to learn, and it isn't something cruel. Much better than splintered wood in their cheeks (and the cost of refinishing a nice table set!).

Good luck with Ace. I bet your floors are beautiful! I cant' wait to stop renting. I miss wood floors. Enjoy your new dining set!

DammitJanet

Another thing my dogs hated was bengay. I discovered this when one of them got too close to me when Tony was applying it to me...lol. Happened so fast. He just jumped in nose first and got a snotfull...lmao. Didnt do that again.

All he had to do was see us reach for the tube or get a whiff and that dog was history!