What to do next!?

lovelyboy

Ok...so my little dude...turning 6 at the end of November has been diagnosed with ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). This is his fifth week on Strattera...only 10 mg, will be increased over time.He had his Occupational Therapist (OT) assessment last week, he tested around 4 yrs10 months-5 yrs. So we are looking at schooling options, we dont have special education options in mainstream publick school, so we were thinking of putting him in remedial school...we found a small private school, ONLY for kids with an ADHD diagnosis...only 8 or less kids in the class, BUT they expect an IQ test to be done!I took my son to a reputable educational psychologist this week....after 2 days of trying to get him to partisipate...she STOPPED the assessment...said he is untestable:( Cant sit still, doesnt want to participate....says she doesnt know what to do...That there is something wrong, but she dont know exactly what! That its more than just ADHD...So what now!?I read that you cant do normal IQ testing on kids with speech delays or auditory prosessing disorder, that some times they use tests for death kids? She said she doesnt have this test....Does any of you have experience on this matter?Thanx for listening!

Bunny

See if there is a neuropsychologist in your area and try to make an appointment there. It might take a while to get in, but they will be able to tell you what is going on with your son and should be able to get the IQ testing done.

Malika

Hi. I second the idea of a neuropsychologist. My son is very hyperactive but he has twice had IQ tests successfully administered by neuropsychologists, using the WISC IV (from memory). They should have experience of testing kids with ADHD.
I am interested to know more about your experience with Strattera... have you noticed positive changes during the time your little boy has been on it?

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
We had the IQ testing done by a licensed child psychologist using the WISC also. They knew what they were doing. Do you have access to something like that? Personally, here in the US, I wouldn't trust anyone in the school system doing the kind of testing you are looking for. Find a private professional that knows how.

lovelyboy

Thanx ....He was assessed, no testing, clinical opservations, by a very well known child psychiatrist and child neurologist, we dont have neuropsychologists in South Africa that I know of! Both said, NO Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and both said ADHD...The neuro has put him on Strattera...said Ritalin and Concerta might increase his emotional outbursts.....The Occupational Therapist (OT) who assessed him was impressed by his improved attention, but we are experiencing bad nightmares....not sure if it could be related, because our doggy died a week ago and he has been very upset by it, crying before going to bed, exct. I agree...surely they need to be able to test IQ, although I googled again last night and I keep on reading about the negative effect auditory prosessing disorder has on IQ testing! Might get a speech therapists opinion!?

lovelyboy

Thanx Malika....I went to have a look....most is in medico-legal...not kids:(I will maybe phone them and ask if they know any one with peadiatric interest.....The proffesionals I spoke to, didnt know of any one....

lovelyboy

Received some good news!
The play therapist contacted the school principal and gave her background info on little dude! Said this child needs a chance in life and from what she assessed he definately doesnt have a low IQ! So we got a placement for next year at the ADHD school! Very excited.....we will later do more assessments!