What weird quirks, habits, obsessions do you have?

F

flutterbee

A lot of things have changed since I started getting sick several years ago, but here goes....

My house was always spotless. A place for everything and everything in its place. I couldn't go to bed at night if anything was out of place. Even if Wynter's dad hadn't been a jerk in all the other ways, that would have led to divorce. It was hell in my last house because it just wasn't big enough and there wasn't enough storage. I don't miss it. At all. My mom would come visit and start putting things places and I'd follow behind her and fix them. Now, since I've been sick, I just let her do it and it's like a treasure hunt after she leaves.

I can't just sweep the kitchen floor. I have to use the hose attachment on the vacuum after. Brooms miss too much. Especially when you have animal fur. Proper mopping is done on your hands and knees. You can get in the corners that way and don't miss spots. And when you vacuum you have to use the hose to get along baseboards every time and you have to vacuum the furniture - both sides of cushions.

I would figure in my head how long it should take to do each task: 45 minutes to clean the kitchen (everything has to come off the counter and each thing has to be washed down, as well as the appliances), 30 minutes to dust, 20 minutes to vacuum. It would really stress me out when it was taking longer. Cause it always does. You always find something else that needs cleaned while you're in each room.

Laundry folding is a precision art. Corners have to be matched up. Do you realize how many towels aren't perfect rectangles? It's so frustrating. I'm the only one in the house allowed to match socks. Period.

I have a super sniffer, too. I smell everything and then have to go looking for the source. Several times a week I can be found trying to find the source of something that smells hot. Fire phobia. When I leave the house for extended periods (say an hour), I'm running through all the things in my head to make sure they've been unplugged. Repeatedly.

I think out loud. I have caught myself doing it in public. Really embarrassing. And often I'm not thinking about current things, I'm replaying past events in my mind.

I don't like being touched. I don't like people sitting or standing too close to me. I swear I can feel all my nerve endings stand on end when someone is too close. I can't stand someone standing behind me where I can't see them. When in line somewhere, I'll stand to the side a bit so I can still see who is behind me.

It's really sad the things I've given up since being sick. When I get better, I'm going to have to redo the entire house. Starting with the kitchen cupboards.

everywoman

Okay---
I have to bag my own groceries at the store because categories have to be bagged together. They also are put away by category---

My closet and drawers are organized by color, from dark to light. Shoes are the same way.

I can't stand to put ice in a glass. I think it goes back to my childhood and those stupid metal ice trays....I get goosebumps thinking about them

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
:rofl:

We could ALL use some medication.

:rofl:

Like Heather, I can't stand people I don't know getting in my space. I want to scream when I'm at a check out counter and the next person could practically write my check for me because they are so close.

And I've started to prefer going to a movie by myself because I really hate noise and distractions.

Misspelling jump out at me when I read things. I can't help it! Don't jump on me- I'm not critical, I just notice it and want to correct it. :D

We had this thread a few years ago.....Abbey, aren't you also a "sock snob?" I admit I am, too. I have a lot of really fun socks. The ones I have on today are black with big green frogs on them. I figure I've dated enough frogs the last couple of years, I'm hoping these socks will bring me the frog that turns into a prince. ;)

Suz

F

flutterbee

Oh..and I sing all the time. Songs pop into my head and I sing them. Makes my daughter nuts and she's always yelling at me to stop. Which, of course, just makes me sing louder.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yeah, Suz...I am. They have to be the right size, yadda. Right now I have two pair on. They are quite comfy.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I am also weird in the fact that I love to coat my fingers in elmers glue and peel it all off once it dries! Also anyone with a pealing sunburn is not safe in my presence!

OMG Amazed, me too! :rofl:

Ok. Thought of some more....

Don't invade my personal space. The only one's who could get away with doing so were my children and now my grandchildren, plus furbabies.

Crowds drive me insane. Even just large groups of people drive me nuts. Family or strangers makes no difference. I just want to escape and often have several routes planned out. I could very happily live as a hermit. :)

Basements terrify me. I dunno why. Doesn't make any difference if it's an old house, new house, clean or dirty, finished or unfinished. The darn things get my hackles up and they stay that way. I will not go into a basement, any basement even if there is a tornado looming overhead.

I love to fish. But people hate to fish with me. I don't know squat about different poles and equipment. Just hand me a cane pole with a hook on it. I don't even need a worm. I've been catching fish with cigarette butts since I was 3. The fish don't seem to know the difference, but when you're fishing with grown men and their not getting a nibble on their expensive bait and lures and you're catching fish left and right with cigarette butts....well, it tends to make them mighty POed. Which is why no one will fish with me. lol

If I have a certain amount of money to spend on a shopping trip I will put exactly the right amount of things into the shopping cart that add up to the amount of money I have. I don't think about it. It just happens to work out that way everytime. Drives husband crazy. So he thought he'd be smart and start holding the money, not telling me how much he'd gotten out of the bank. Only to discover much to his frustration that I still could hit it right down to within ten cents! :D

cadydid

My 18 yr old saw this thread before I did. and her and her sister had a blast coming up with mine.

I load the dishwasher in a specific order.. large glasses on the right short glasses on the left. cereal bowls down the center. Silverware tray has large forks and then small forks on the left large spoons and then cereal spoons on the right.. cooking utensils in the center. Plates in the front all facing the same direction from large to small facing the center of the dishwasher.

Bath towels, they have to be folded in half length wise and then folded in 3rds. While wash cloths are folded in quarters.

I'm another that won't wear night shirts.. have to have pants on. Which leads me to the one that drives husband absolutely bonkers.. I can not and will not sleep with my hair down. It has to be in a ponytail.. Whenever I turn over to go to sleep, or I turn over int eh night, the ponytail flips in his face.. He keeps threatening to cut it off.

If I start to write something like a list or a letter, and I make a mistake, I have to start all over.

My daughter wanted to me to say thank you for making their night. They had a blast coming up with all of these lol

I can not wear socks to bed.. hate hot feet..

Last edited:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Watch for us on a night out about town!!!
That would be a riot!
Counting, NO Touching, what is that smell? Most of us wearing gloves so we don't have to touch anything weird. Having to worry about where we can park.
Some of us not able to even leave the house... for whatever reasons of the day! Concerned about what levels of WOW we are on!
What socks we are wearing.
Did we put our dishes in just right, appliances all off????
Crud let's just all stay home.

oh LAWD.

The sound of ice rubbing against ice makes me want to punch someone. Feet shuffling on concrete does the same. Oh, and the sound my stupid cat makes when she licks herself.

I also immediately tear out the inserts of a magazine. And I do the glue thing as well. Oh, and I am a counter too. When I am walking and I catch myself counting, I make myself skip numbers until I forget my place.

Food: If there is a chance that there is an onion in the vicinity, I will tear the meal apart to make sure. It's not just a fear of onions, it's a downright phobia. Thinking about an onion gives me the shkeeves.

I am a grammar nazi. Sorry.

If I hurt one side of my body (say get my right index finger pinched) I have to make the other side even.

Cotton annoys me a little. I have to wet a q-tip before I will use it to clean out my ear.

OK, I get most of the other things, but I don't get the fear of armored cars. Is it the fear of the car itself, or the fear of what could happen because there is an armored car there? Just curious.

KTMom91

I bit the bullet here, and asked Hubby, because I was curious about what he would say. He said he couldn't think of anything right now. So...either I'm relatively normal, or he's a smart man who doesn't want to sleep alone!

I love to sing. In the grocery store, in the car, on the shuttle bus on the way to Extreme Home Makeover, I don't care. I also don't care if everyone's looking at me. Miss KT will tell you that. At Extreme Home, she saw this really cute guy who'd volunteered, he looked about 19. So, because I'm so helpful, I yelled, "Hey! Cute Guy! You! Yeah, you! With the sunglasses! Yeah, you! Cute Guy!" And when the poor kid looked over at us, and smiled, I yelled, "My daughter thinks you're really cute! She's right here! Her name's KT!" Cute Guy turns forty shades of red, his friends practically fall down in hysterics, our section of the audience cheers, and Miss KT just waves at the guy. She knows what her mother is like.

everywoman

Oh, and I can not stand in a line. I'm okay with someone in front of me, but if someone gets behind me I get all jittery and claustrophobic and feel like I'm going to faint. I will get out of line and walk around until there is no one in line.

No matter what situation I am in I can think of a song that is fitting. And there is always music playing in my head and I am choreographing movements to go with the music.

Woofens

I am ROFLMBO

I count everything. I count myself to sleep. I count steps. I count stairs. I hate odd numbers. I can NOT touch a brown paper bag... the thought of it makes me want to wet myself. I can't sleep on anything but flannel, tshirt material or micro-plush sheets. When we go out of town and stay in a hotel, I take my own pillows, and sleep maybe a couple hours. None of my shirts have tags. I can't stand to touch raw chicken.

Geez... I need to find a therapist!!

hugs
Janis

donna723

"I want to scream when I'm at a check out counter and the next person could practically write my check for me because they are so close."

Oh, I HATE that too! There's a few people at the store I go to who do that ... I'll be trying to write my check and they'll be breathing down my neck and THEIR stuff is getting mixed in with MY stuff! And they're so close that they can read all the personal info off my check ... and it's none of their business that after I write that check, my bank balance will be down to $1.98! I also secretely want to crash in to those inconsiderate people who completely block off the aisle with their carts while they catch up on all the gossip with a friend. I actually picture myself ramming in to them and sending them spinning off like bowling pins!

With me, some things have to be neat and some things don't bother me at all. I'm a compulsive ashtray emptier, but the pile of 'stuff' on my dining room table is about three feet high now - no place to put it all! I don't even notice it any more!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Wow. LOL I'm not so weird afterall!

Tounge chewers.......unite!!! I've done that since I can remember. I'm also a picker/peeler. husband hates it when he peels because I make him sit down so can "help" things along.

I also stress pick and dig at my head. It doesn't start as a big thing but eventually it is because as a picker....I can't leave the spots alone. I grew up hearing "quit picking at your head" and now I occasionally hear husband say it.

I'm a weird one too when it comes to sensations. If, for instance, I rub my leg for some reason, I have to do the same thing to the other side or else it's not "even". And if I'm driving and a lot of cars go past me on one side, I can almost "feel" it in my peripheal vision and I will feel lopsided if there's not something on the other side too like electrical poles to even things out.

Now that you know some of my "secrets", still want to play with me?? LOL