What weird quirks, habits, obsessions do you have?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Nope...won't throw sand. Won't eat it too....blech. Can't stand to have anything in my mouth besides food. A hair or fuzzy? I will gag trying to get it out. *shudder*

susiequte

If I'm in a public restroom, it makes me absolutely nutty if someone comes and uses the stall next to me!!! Especially if there is more than one stall available!!!

I can't stand styrofoam.........gives me the willies!!!

When milk used to come in the cardboard containers, I couldn't drink the milk at the very top or the very bottom of the container............it tasted like cardboard. I also have to smell the milk before I can pour it.........even if I just bought it.

K

Kjs

OMG - so many of the same things.

I count. EVERYTHING. I also remember numbers. Birthdays, anniversary's, TIME. I know every one of my 5 siblings birthdays, their spouses birthdays, their kids birthdays, their kids spouses and their kids birthdays. I know how much the kids weighed. I know the time I leave my house for work and what time I will arrive at EACH road I turn on. (then I try to beat the time...lol)

Hearing people chew, or s u c k on their teeth makes me gag. Speaking of, if someone gags or throws up - I will too. Left difficult child in the middle of a room on a towel when he was a baby and sick. Lucky easy child or husband were there.

Dishwasher. Must be a specific way. Re-do how husband does it everyday. Think that is a woman thing though. Neighbor ladies do that too.

Laundry - bath towels fold in three's to fit in the closet. Shirts folded in three's with sleeves tucked in. No wrinkles. I re-do laundry often. Socks must match. husband tends to just put white socks with white socks. Nope. I'll throw them away.

House must be tidy. If not I do not sleep. I TRY not to go into difficult child's room. MY room doesn't bother me much. When I get home from work. Drop my clothes on the floor and sleep. I do the same each of my work days (nights). The end of my work week I pick them all up.

Yard - I rake the roof with the roof rake to get the snow off the edges. I snowblow every inch of concrete. I usually go out after husband to clean up. I then shovel after I snow blow to get all the snow off all the concrete. Especially the driveway apron. husband tends to just plow a path. I must follow up and make the angles.
When we have grass, I plant new grass on every bald spot or dead spot from the dogs. I edge and sweep it all up. I scoop poop everyday. (Spring time is awful. We now have about 4 feet of snow resting on the ground. Can't even get to it if I DO see it)
I could go on. i am sure husband and difficult child could certainly add to this list!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Wish I could just highlight the things you've all listed - lol.

I have a severely sharp sense of smell, so I'm very sensitive to anything extreme, whether it's sweet smelling perfume or something very very bad. I hate Yankee Candle candles for this reason - too intense. I prefer subtle. And I will leave a bathroom even if I'm about to pee my pants if it smells bad. Especially public restrooms like the ones in my office building. I have to line the seats, hover, and go through chemical cleansing when I come out. I swear, ew.

My dishwasher has to be loaded a certain way. I will rearrange items in the dishwasher if they are in 'wrong', in particular after H has loaded the dishwasher. Also like that about hand washing pots and pans - there is a certain way to do them and if H does them, I re-do them later when he can't see (in all fairness to ME, H only washes the insides of things, never the outsides. So, he may wash a pot on the inside and leave all the sauce drippings on the outside, gross). Haha -

Making the bed - I can't leave the house without the bed being made. It's the first thing I do in the morning before anything else. And then the kitchen needs to be tidied as well so when I get home, it's ready for use. I hate coming home to a sink with anything in it!

Showering. No matter how late or how tired I am, I have to shower every single night. I have to shave my legs every single night. No matter what. We went to a show last night and got home quite late; I had to shower and finally got to bed at 3AM as a result. H woke up and just looked at me like I was a martian - "Why are still up?" he asked. "I had to shower" I said. He just grunted and rolled over.

H will sometimes be in bed already when I come into the room and start chuckling. "What?" I ask. "You and your little routine every night - puttering around." What he means is that before my shower, I set the heater on my blanket, then I do my shower thing, then I go to the kitchen, get my GIANT 24 oz cup of H2O, take my vitamins and supplements. Then on the way to the bedroom, I hit the bathroom one last time (all that H2O). Then I come to bed, lotion up my hands and feet (I am also a NUT about lotions!), put on my socks, get the puppy up on her little bed, grab my glasses and book, take my asthma medications (all the while trying to be quiet because it's usually around midnight), and then I tuck myself into bed, bunch up my pillows and settle in to read for a bit - I usually last about 30 minutes. I could do this routine blindfolded and H could tell you exactly what I'm doing when I'm doing it.

The towels must be folded a certain way, same reason, the creases. Also, so they fit in the linen closet. I also have to refold them if anyone else folds them first because they just make giant squares - ugh!

I have to read the newspaper in a certain order. It's gotten so bad that I don't even read it until everyone else is done with it so I can put it all in the order in which *I* think it should be read in!

I hate listening to H breathe at night. He lies on his stomach and sounds like Darth Vader. I sometimes will nudge him and say, "okay Darth, roll over" -he doesn't like when I do that. But mostly, it's his twitching that sends me over the edge. I've often slept in difficult child/easy child's bed or the couch. I love my bed and this it the reason we have a termpurpedic cali king sized bed!

I cannot sit at the Sunday breakfast table with H after he's eaten anything, because he makes the most grotesque noises with his mouth...O.M.G. And anyone chewing anything, especially gum, behind me at the movies, grocery checkout line, in the car, whatever, drives me over the edge. I hate the way people chew gum. I can just picture it rolling around in their mouths mixing with their saliva and just, ICK. I have on many occasions rolled down the windows in the car and made one of my kids or their friends or H spit out their gum. Yes, I would be that teacher in school who would not allow gum chewing in class for sure!

I hate the way difficult child smells. Because she doesn't brush her teeth or shower regularly and smokes to boot, she often has this strange odor and it permeates her clothing as well. It's not BO or sweaty - it's like a wierd sickeningly sweet smell, but like I said, I have an incredibly sensitive nose.

Well, there is more, but I dont' want you to think I'm totally and completely nuts and this certainly leaves no doubt as to where my daughters got all their little quirks, does it? Hahah. Thanks Totoro.

I am obsessed with yodels, honeybell oranges, water, vacuuming (basically anything having to do with the floors), reading, and playing BeJeweled. I freakin love that game and cannot get enough.

trinityroyal

Golly. I'm in good company!

Let's see...

Everything around me has to be in order. Of course, the "order" has an internal logic that comes straight out of my Aspie brain and makes no sense whatsoever to anyone else. For example, my file cabinet is perfectly organized. Not alphabetically, but by type of thing the files are dealing with. I've given up trying to explain it to other people. When someone helps me to organize my stuff, I just wait until they're finished and then go back and fix it.

All objects have a home. They're not necessarily in their home at any given time, but then have one. If anyone comes along and fills up the empty space with something that doesn't belong there, it gives me the heebie jeebies. I have to move it, and put the right thing in the spot.

All rolls (toilet paper, paper towel, even those little plastic baggies in the grocery store that you fill with fruit or vegetables), have to feed from the top. Unless they're in one of those dispensers designed to feed from the bottom. I have been known to go through the grocery store realigning all of the bag dispensers.

I have the driest skin in the world and eczema, but I CAN'T STAND the feeling of lotion, cream or ointment on my skin. Sometimes I will have really bad urticaria and husband will practically have to sit on me to put my prescription ointment on my. I will squirm and wiggle and whine the whole time until it fully absorbs. Even the feeling of my skin being "moisturized" after the lotion or whatever has absorbed is horrible. (Right now I'm facing a dilemma...my hands are so dry they hurt but I can't bring myself to put on the lotion, and husband isn't awake yet to make me do it.)

Sock seams. Sock seams are a nightmare. husband found a website that sells seamless socks (and they're cute, which is also a requirement). Otherwise, I will wear them inside out. From April to October, I refuse to wear socks at all, but in a Canadian winter...there's no getting around it.

Dishes. Have to go in the draining tray in a certain order. Same for the diswasher.

Mstang, I pick at my head too! I thought I was the only one.

Paper and pens. Only certain types of pens go with certain types of paper. If I'm confronted with a pencil and newsprint, for example, and have to take notes, it's all I can do not to run away. Ick!

I think out loud and have entire conversations with myself. I've ceased to worry about whether I'm in public or not. I have embraced my inner eccentric.

Singing. I sing all the time, Burst into song at the drop of a hat. Fortunately, husband does too, and Little easy child isn't yet old enough to find this embarrassing. Step-D and difficult child, turn 7 or 8 shades of red and wants to run away whenever husband and I get started. Little easy child just joins in.

I dance. A lot. If there's any sort of background music playing, and sometimes even when there isn't any, I dance my way through the world. Usually to whatever song is playing in my head. Sometimes raises eyebrows.

Like several of you have already mentioned, I have to balance. If I do something on one side, I have to do it on the other side too.

I know there are more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Trinity

donna723

I know exactly what you mean about the candles! Subtle is nice, strong makes me gag!

Somebody down in our admin building is always burning these super-strong 'coffee' scented candles - they make my sinuses ache! It's so strong the whole building reeks of it, but somehow I'm the ony one who seems to mind! Nobody else has mentioned it at all! To me, it smells just like when you forget to turn the coffee pot off and all the coffee ends up burnt to the bottom of the pot! The only thing worse than that is burnt microwave popcorn!

OMG!!! Hooray, I'm not the only one with a shower "thing". I shower twice a day, but NEVER at my house, ALWAYS at the gym. I'm obessed with working out. I must work out twice a day. I'll die, the world will end if I don't. (by the way, my gym is extrememly sanitary.) This morning I (crazy, I know) got up at 3:30 and went there because I didn't think I could fit in my second workout this evening, then I went again at 9:30. Done for the day.

If someone touches me, it hurts. I don't like being touched.....well, husband is fun to cuddle.

My Floors!!! Even though I have hardwood, they must be cleaned with the swifter every night. I stay up way too late doing this.

Ok, my insanity is preventing me from sleep, but so what. It works for me.....Alyssa

mstang67chic

Going Green
I hate the way difficult child smells. Because she doesn't brush her teeth or shower regularly and smokes to boot, she often has this strange odor and it permeates her clothing as well. It's not BO or sweaty - it's like a wierd sickeningly sweet smell, but like I said, I have an incredibly sensitive nose.

I don't have a particularly sensitive nose but I'm the same way. difficult child will pile his clothes in the bathroom because I won't allow him to use the hamper. (and I can only tolerate that for so long before I make him put them in his room. The few times I've done it, I've had to change clothes because just that 10 seconds of contact grosses me out) When there is even one piece of his clothing in with our clothes, they get contaminated. Seriously. It's like this nasty, overly sweet.....funk...that just permeates everything his clothes come into contact with. I find that I can't even sit on the furniture that difficult child uses the most. And his ROOM! OMG. If he's had his door shut for awhile and then opens it.............UGH. The entire house reeks of difficult child. Unless of course (like lately) he has more Axe. I so HATE that stuff. I washed something of mine recently that he "borrowed" to wear. He didn't have it long enough for me to feel the need to get rid of it but I did have to wash it twice before I could tolerate it. Even after two washings it still didn't smell "right" but it was enough.

I'm chuckling about the "balance" thing. We'd be quite the sight in public wouldn't we? LOL I didn't mention one earlier but guess I kind of have to now. When I finally figured out how to wiggle my ears I was maybe early teens. I can do them independantly of themselves too. And I do. Almost constantly. But if I do one side for a while, I have to do the other side to (once again) balance things out.

Trinity...I don't know about you but it's a good thing I'm not a blond! LOL The whole head picking thing would be way too obvious because I often do it to the point of bleeding. Icky I know but can't seem to stop myself. I kind of use it as a stress-o-meter. The more or more intense the spots....the more stress I have.

trinityroyal

When there is even one piece of his clothing in with our clothes, they get contaminated. Seriously. It's like this nasty, overly sweet.....funk...that just permeates everything his clothes come into contact with. I find that I can't even sit on the furniture that difficult child uses the most. And his ROOM! OMG. If he's had his door shut for awhile and then opens it.............UGH. The entire house reeks of difficult child. Unless of course (like lately) he has more Axe. I so HATE that stuff.

I thought I was the only one who can't stand the smell of difficult child. I don't know what it is, but BOY does it ever give me the creeps. It's not BO (well, sometimes it IS BO, but then I send him to wash), but it's this yucky, unpleasant sickly sweet odour. And don't get me started on the cologne. The boy has no sense of proportion.

Trinity...I don't know about you but it's a good thing I'm not a blond! LOL The whole head picking thing would be way too obvious because I often do it to the point of bleeding. Icky I know but can't seem to stop myself. I kind of use it as a stress-o-meter. The more or more intense the spots....the more stress I have.

All I can say is, thick curly black hair hides a multitude of sins. There are times when my scalp feels like a topographical map.

My doctor gave me some gunk to put on my head to clear up the spots, but of course, lotion-phobia gets in the way. Not to mention the idea of putting greasy ointment on my HEAD! Worse than the spots, hands down.

TerryJ2

OMG, Goldenguru and Andy, will you come over to my house? I have SO much laundry and paperwork it's not even funny.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Trinity, I don't know what the texture is like for you but Aloe gel works pretty good on this kind of thing. When difficult child first came to live with us he picked at his earlobe. I used Aloe on it and combined with watching him so he didn't pick more, it healed it up pretty quickly.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My belly button always, ALWAYS hurts. I know I have to wash it and I do, but drying is a real problem for me since I can't tolerate anything near it. I use a Q-tip, but I can't put it all the way in. I mean, really, this has been a real issue for me my whole life. This is one of the two things that actually bother me and I wish it wasn't so.

Abbey

Spork Queen
You go to the gym twice a day? Ok...I'm sulking to the corner now. I think I can fit in.

TWICE A DAY???

Abbey

donna723

What is a "gym"? I vaguely remember that term from high school ... :tongue:

I still haven't gotten around to starting the exercises I was supposed to do after the baby came. He's 28 now ... do you think I should even bother?

Andy

I have to write in pen. People often comment that I must be smart because I do puzzles in pen and not pencil. The truth - I just can not SEE pencil! (It amazes me how many people pay attention to what I use when doing crossword puzzles)

:rofl:

I also sing a lot. My kids know better than to complain and in fact, they will often join in. They both have very good voices. :) I used to hum a lot at work but it bugged a co-worker so I had to work hard not to. I now have a private office so I can sing along with the radio. I think I will miss that in the new facility (or maybe they are giving me an open door office so that I can entertain co-workers? yeah, right - NOT)

DazedandConfused

I need my pillow cases to be ironed. I hate wrinkled pillow cases.

Cool whip on my coffee-always. I practically buy it by the bulk.

I have seen this on every DB I've ever read: Using loose/looser for lose/loser.

One quirk I had to give up is having a tidy house. Just isn't possible with my difficult children.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG

YOU ARE my FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't feel like a little weirdo anymore.

D3 - GROUP RATE? ROLFMBO and snorting - spit on the screen - ahhhh funny girl.

Where to start.....ugh.

Clothes in closet must be in color spectrum order. Black, black white, grey, white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet.
Spices are in alphabetical order.
I have the nose of a K-9. Yup I even sniffed out a gas lead the gas company said didn't exist. They came back twice with more sophisticated equipment and caught it on the third sniffer pass.
I have hearing issues - can't do crinkling bags, paper etc.
Germs - omg that's a whole other post.
Dishwasher must be loaded a certain way....period.
Towels and shirts have a VERY special way of being folded.

Yeah I'll go in on the group rate.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Just reading this post is making my hands sensitive and me very nervous.
Must go straighten the house and clean the litter box.
I think I also have some laundry to do.
Must check the shower floor...

I almost spit out my coffee this morning when I was driving, of all places to my therapist, I saw an armored truck in a fast food line!
I laughed out loud so hard.
Oh, Abbey I will never be the same! Thanks