What would be so wonderful about Tylenol PM??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Four times now I've stopped M from buying tylenol pm for katie to use with her migraines. Ok, what's so special about it? I've stopped him by giving him extra stength tylenol to take to her. But this has been an ongoing thing..................And she's not wanting it for night, she's wanting it during the day.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hmmm....that's weird.

Is is possible that he is just sort of "stuck" on Tylenol PM ? Not that he or Katie has anything nefarious planned?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't think she has anything odd planned. Not like ODing or anything. I'm I guess sort of wondering if you could form a habit to it? But I don't think so. Most OTC sleep aides aren't habit forming or addictive.

Although I know that katie takes way too much of any medication she takes including the extra strength tylenol and ibuprofen. Not that I never have.......(remember the tooth pain?) but to do so over an extended period can cause all sorts of problems.

I just can't see why she thinks it's so special. Most especially since she can get tylenol off me for free.

Josie

Sometimes, if I take Tylenol PM when I feel a headache coming on, I will wake up without a headache. Usually my headaches start in the late afternoon or evening and last for another 2 full days. I always take it right before bed because I don't want to fight sleep before then. I never thought about taking it during the day to see what would happen.

I haven't had the same results with Advil or Tylenol that I do with Tylenol PM.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. That's what I was wondering Shari. And maybe thereby escaping M for a few hours as it works. I know she's taking a lot of it.........she went through a big bottle in less than a week. That why I started giving her the tylenol.

I don't buy the stuff, so I've no clue what the ingredients are.....especially the sleep aide part. I don't think it's listed in my drug guide, or I can't find it if it is.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The scary part is the Tylenol (acetaminophen) part. Taken to excess (and there is a very fine line between OK and toxicity with this medication) Tylenol can literally destroy the liver. It's the number one cause for liver transplants in the US.

In Europe, it's been put behind the druggist's counter and cannot be purchased in quantity. I think the max is 10 tablets at a time. The medication is called paracetamol in most of the rest of the world.

witzend

It is really bad for the liver. I take all sorts of muscle relaxers and pain medications for issues with my muscular dystrophy, and don't have too many issues with feeling goofy. But benadryl puts me out for a few days.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
GN you're so right. I warned her repeatedly what taking too many does to her liver, it's all I can do. Doesn't treat your kidneys very nicely either.......pretty hard on them too. But there are people who believe if it is sold over the counter it is "safe" and "if a little helps then a lot will help even more".

Fact is the only difference between a medication and poison is the dosage, doesn't matter what it is. *sigh*

I just wasn't sure if she's using it for sleeping, whether to escape or not, or if she'd found an unusual way to help her migraines.

flutterby

Fly away!
Shari's right. It's just tylenol and benadryl. I know phenegran, prescribed for nausea, is an antihistamine that also works well for headaches - as well as sleep. Maybe benadryl had the same effect for her, and the combination of tylenol and benadryl together works better. I dunno. It's nothing you can get high off, though.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Dollar General has generic benadryl for a couple bucks, and while I don't condone what she's doing, you can take quite a bit of benadryl without serious risks, unlike tylenol. Maybe you could suggest she switch, for her liver health. I dunno. I hate to condone it, then again, telling her to stop likely isn't gonna work, either.

DammitJanet

I hate tylenol. Wish they would put it behind the desk and put morphine or opiates on the shelfs. Kill yourself faster with tylenol.

Like others said, Benedryl is all the second ingredient is in the PM. I take like 5 or 6 of them when my night medications dont work for me and I am still awake a couple of hours later.

susiestar

Roll With It
Not only is it just tylenol and benadryl, and over priced enormously if you are buying the brand name, and dangerous to her liver, there is a STRONG chance that it is CAUSING her headaches.

One of the problems that happens with frequent migraines is that your body first responds to a medication. Then you take the medication often. After a while your body will start to get a headache every time you have been with-o the medication for a little while. It happens with rx medications like fiorinal and midrin, and it happens with OTC medications like tylenol, benadryl, excedrin, excedrin migraine, etc...

It is a large reason why I keep several different medications to treat migraines in the house. even Jessie only gets a certain amount of each of them per week, no matter how bad she is feeling. When you take more than the recommended amount the rebound headaches are even stronger because your body wants that much more medicine to treat them.

financially katie would be MUCH better off to buy generic tylenol and benadryl separately. It is likely that she has to take large amounts to be knocked out and she wants to be knocked out to escape her situation.

There are docs who tell people to use benadryl to treat migraines. Our ER loves to hand it out for migraines. WHile it can help, it really isn't effective for migraines except to knock you out unless the migraine was caused by an allergy to something. Even then, it will deal with the allergy part but not the migraine part. I have had several fights with our local ER over this. NO migraine doctor that I have spoken to, for myself or either of my oldest kids, has said that benadryl is effective for migraine treatment. They have said it is usually docs with little knowledge of migraines and how they work who suggest benadryl. Sudafed (the stuff behind the pharmacy counter now) is MUCH better suited for migraine treatment if you are using OTC medications. Esp if added to excedrin.

The ONLY difference between excedrin and excedrin migraine is that excedrin migraine has 50mg LESS of tylenol. Otherwise they are the same - adding the word migraine to the name expanded their customer base but was just a marketing ploy.

With the migraines caused by taking medicine for too long, about the only thing she can do is to take a different medication or just suffer for a week or two. If she switches medications and does NOT get a triptan (imitrex, frova, etc...) she will just change her body's dependence from one thing to the other. Triptans work differently so they can help with-o making it worse. They are also very expensive and likely beyond what katie can afford. IF she had a doctor and signed up for assistance from the drug co's for one of the triptans that is not generic she likely would get medications for free, but only a few doses a month. With imitrex the limit is nine pills a month. Period. Others have even lower limits from what I ahve seen.