what would you have in a mental health facility?

Rotsne

Banned
About visitation: Each day visitation had to be done inside a time frame of 2 hours so it did not disturb the treatment. Now the major part of the persons in the "dorm" was suffering from depression (Each had single rooms with bath. There was two dorms with 20 rooms in each. Each dorm surrounded a small garden so they could go outside without being able to run away.).

I remember that we had to leave a family member in the bath room with the individual during an entire bath because the individual wanted to shave the legs, which of course was a risk. Security was tight, but still they wanted to maintain close family commitment.

There was only problem. All rooms were occupied at all time, so the treatment was not finished when the individual was sent home after 14 days (Most medication are 6 weeks to function 100%). Some of you properly know how work you have to do in a typical home when you have to make it "safe" from sudden thoughts about ending a life. We put up some 3 IP-cams and stored knives, medication, shavers in lockups and had to take shifts drinking coffee at the home. Once again I can only state how thankful we were for the outpatient/aftercare support they gave even if it was not their problem, but I guess that they knew that they could risk that our family member could return if left without support. Anyway we are so thankful for the way they handled our problem.

Steely

You know I answer this post, I guess out of hope.
Hope that one day there would be a perfect system for our kids.
Lottery, grant loan, philanthropy - something has to give. I cannot stand to see our kids like this anymore.

First of all, it would be free. Not free run by govt free, but free based on some amazing fortune left behind by someone or multiple people. "A fund" of sorts. (Rosalie Greenburg step on up;))

Second of all it would be available to every child that has a severe behavioral/emotional need, and the facility would be equipped to take them all in. This would be a place where kids were sent instead of juvy - as well as a place where kids were sent to simply re-shape their lives.

Third of all, this would all happen in small group homes like rotsne suggested. Homes with 12 kids, and 10 acres of land so that all the kids would have the responsibility of "farming the land", and keeping it sustainable.

Fourth there would be a psychiatrist on staff.

Fifth there would be every homeopathic method available that was even known to possibly work even a smidge.

Sixth there would be every therapy available that was even known to work a smidge.

Seventh, and final - no child was ever kicked out. Someone, somehow, would work with every single kid to find the hope, the cure, and the destiny for the child.

And with seven - supposedly being the perfect number, I will get off my soap box.
:wildone:

Jena

Steely I agree with you, somethings gotta give. I've seen too much being here a year now, too many doctor's and programs passing the buck, too many refusal letters, too many diagnosis's from reviewing a report one time. Too much junk in general.

I don't think anything would be perfect, that isnt' how life is. Yet there's gotta be a start to something better than what's going on now. Yes, grey area yet treament shouldnt' be grey and vague also. There has to be more research, more funding, more qualified teachers in schools handling our difficult child's to begin with, more empathic staff at schools, more caring doctor's, more facilities for our children to go when they cross from the early childhood years and into puberty and into mayhem.

My thought when i layed in bed that night, was a main center to start with, sort of like the brain of it all. That's the place where the library would be housed, the staff, the therapists and doctor's the nutritionists, the various other holistic and other avenues to boot, the evaluations etc. because to me whatever trouble the child coming in would be in or not that would be their first stop. We wouldn't take it on "word" the previous diagnosis's we'd run the tests, take the time, interview parents, and other family members, school staff call them in if necessary. No send home check off forms rate the behavior 1 to 10 junk.

Than the beautiful housing you speak of and rostne and others would be connected, same name of the facility and upon the diagnosis' and upon parents approval the children would go there. than it would follow from there to job placement and onward, get them totally functional. i see this starting in one state, a main state with a whole lotta funding yet like you said not government run last thing anyone would want again to begin with. than branching out (yet housing would be available also for parents flying or driving in from other countries) until more states came on board. Anyhow thats my thought. I keep scratching off those lotto tickets. this would be a huge undertaking, alot more than buying a horse that's for sure lol.

yet i think in this world of ours anything can be done if you have the motivation behind it.

ok my ramblings done for tonight. :)