Whatcha making for Christmas dinner ?

shellyd67

I know it's a little early, but what is everyone making for Christmas dinner ?

Since husband and I have been married, I have held each holiday at our house.

I love to cook, bake and entertain.

A few weeks before Christmas each year, we sit down as a family and decide what we will serve for dinner.

This year we voted and HAM it is ... I will also make mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli casserole and a few other sides.:christmasgift:
I really love Christmastime.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We don't get Jett back from BM until the 26th at noon. So we'll be going to my parents' for Christmas afternoon... Probably enchiladas!!!

I'm having an open house, though. Going to make stuff like Chile con Queso (for chips), fudge, cookies, and gingerbread... Asking people to bring something for a potluck... So it should be interesting!

Mom2oddson

husband and I have been saving all our change since Dec 26th of last year. We will go to the not-so-local butcher (fresh, local, organic, no hormone, etc...) and order either a tenderloin roast or a prime rib roast or maybe both (and a salmon for my Sister who hates beef). It's our Christmas present to my parents each year. They come over for dinner and we go all out. Not sure what the sides will be. I always look for new things to make for sides.

Been looking through my recipes for baked goodies to send to family and friends. Got a few new ones to try this year - Oreo truffles, cookies & cream fudge, and spiced pumpkin fudge. Wanted to do Strawberry Margarita perserves but the local liquor store stopped stocking Strawberry Schnapps.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I just sent out my evites to all the family near and far for Saturday December 26th. Most of us want to spend Christmas day at home or visiting with in-laws, so Saturday works best for everyone, especially me!

I usually have a ham, assorted cold cuts, some type of italian dish like sausage & peppers, all served with rolls, easy sides such as potatoes, asparagus, pickles, and olive tray and antipasta along with various condiments. We will also have several appetizers on hand, but not too many because that's a lot of work! We have a few people who went into AA this year, so we'll go easy on the alcohol being served, however, I will have my own personal stash, heh heh. I am looking forward to it!

Does anyone else use Chinet disposable plates? I just love them as they really make cleanup a breeze. I also use plastic cups, but real flatware. I know it's not the most environmentally friendly way to go, but I could be hosting anywhere from 15-30 people!

shellyd67

H&R I always use the oval chinet plates when I have alot of company. I will admit I set my table with my Pier One square red dishes and my Christmas ball place settings and then I take a picture and put it all away in the hutch. LOL Your dinner and sides sound delish !

Mom2oddson

We use Chinet all the time. Get the big costco size bundle. Ever since the kids were teens and would leave plates hiding under beds or behind the couches we switched to chinet. It's easier to throw the plate away then to scrub off something that has been stuck on a plate for days and days. Especially in a house full of dogs - stuck on food with a layer of dog-hair. Not fun!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Due to Tday dinner being wasted.................Christmas dinner is going to be traditional but rather simple in comparison.

Baked ham, augratin potatoes, a veggie of some sort, dinner rolls, desert.

LittleDudesMom

We'll definitely have a spiral cut ham, tossed salad, mashed potatoes, and some other veggie and rolls.

We do heavy munchies on Christmas Eve - everyone chooses their two favs - difficult child always picks cocktail meatballs (grape jelly and chili sauce version) and either pigs in a blanket or popcorn chicken with dippers. Last year easy child picked baked brie (I just buy the small wheel and add mango chutney on top and crushed cashews - much cheaper than the already prepared and really good - we love Indian food so chutney is always around) and my aunt's famous sausage toast (your fry up a roll of spicy Jimmy Dean type sausage and then once it's cooked you drain off the grease and then place thin slices of velvet on top, turn off the heat, and cover your fry pan until the cheese melts - then you take those cocktail rye bread and put the sausage mixture on them. At that point you can just put them on a cookie sheet and freeze - once they are frozen you can store them in baggies or tupperwear in the freezer - when you want them, you just bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet - they are delicious and really bad for you - on of those once a year foods that always disappear first at a gathering!!!!). I chose seafood wontons with spicy orange dipping sauce and, in deference to putting something healthy in my mouth, a plate of interesting veggies like sliced mushrooms, cucumbers and bell peppers with fat free spicy dip! We prepare a lot because we always have company stopping over on Christmas Eve so the food comes out in several batches! I know meatballs and brie will be on the menu this year.....wonder what else the kids will pick.....

Our formal meal on Christmas is breakfast. We do the formal dining room meal with the good china, silver and crystal around 10 and the ham and fixings are laid out late that afternoon for anyone who stops by or for us to eat at our leisure. Sometimes we go to a movie and eat late, sometimes we just hang and have friends over.....

Geese, I'm hungry now!

Sharon

H

HaoZi

Kiddo and I are tossing around either having a ham (likely one of those canned ones) or else our normal holiday meal of pepperoni pizza. We may just flip a coin. The cat doesn't get a vote.

shellyd67

Sharon, I was thinking of making a Brie wheel as an appetizer. I saw Paula Deen make one with phyllio dough, apricot preserves and pecans. Yours sounds great too and those sausage apps sound awesome ( I might have to steal that recipe)

Mattsmom277

We have a traditional meal, nearly identical to what we make on Canadian Thanksgiving. If I cut out any of the traditional and very simple dishes, there will someone to riot against each thing if it were not on the table lol. And if I add in new things, nobody would touch them no matter how delicious. For sure the following day they'd eat it as leftovers but never for Christmas dinner lol.

So, it is to be the same as always around here. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, carrots, turnip, mashed potatoes, cranberries and pickles etc. I also do a large ham with a brown sugar glaze/rub. It's so funny, I even have to have the same type of dinner rolls each year or people get all cranky on me!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
For Christmas Eve I always make lasagna. Usually on Christmas I make a spiral ham with a beer/dijon mustard, and brown sugar glaze along with French country potatoes, and maple glazed carrots. Last year, though, we ordered pizzas the day before and saved them for Christmas day. They were great but easy child/difficult child was disappointed because she wanted the usual but wasn't willing to help.

tawnya

We always do a formal brunch on Christmas Day. If we didn't do that, I really think I would make lasagna, too. In fact, I wish I had a great big pan right now!

KTMom91

We go to mother in law's on Christmas Eve, and that's potluck. My favorite quesadillas (she makes them from scratch) are usually on the table, and the little sausages in BBQ sauce, and whatever else someone thinks would be good.

We go to my mom's for Christmas Day lunch, and my brother and his wife do most of the cooking. I don't know why. We open presents and have breakfast at home, whatever we feel like cooking.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:groan::whoopdedoo:Okay this is waaaaay to early to be discussing the menu for Christmas dinner. Sorry, Shelly, just finished with the T'giving stuff.

muttmeister

We always have oyster soup and chili with cranberry salad and shrimp cocktail plus a big veggie tray with dip for Christmas eve. Also my grandmother's recipe for suet pudding.

Christmas morning is usually strawberry daquiris with Christmas cookies and breads.

I haven't decided yet about Christmas day. We usually have a cranberry and bbq-sauce glazed pork loin but this year I'm thinking turkey. Older difficult child and family won't be here - they decided to start their own Christmas traditions at their house which is fine- and who knows what younger difficult child and his family will be doing. I imagine they'll show up to eat. If not it would be just my mother and me in which case I'd do cornish hens. I'm going to finish all of my Christmas shopping tomorrow so it would be a good idea for me to decide and buy what I need and put it in the deep freeze. I try to avoid stores as much as possible between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

When I was young (pre d-ex and difficult children) I always travelled at Christmas. I went to Israel, Switzerland, Morocco, England, Turkey, Italy etc. My mother is 96 and relies on me and I am glad I still have her but when she is gone I will go back to traveling for the holiday and the difficult children can shift for themselves.

crazymama30

What I would like to make is prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus, salad and some sort of nice desert. Buy my kiddos and husband would not eat any of it but the desert.

I will probably end up making a ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, rolls and some pies. That will be good too, but I would love the above meal. Maybe the next time my mom, sis and I go to the coast I can make that for our big meal, and then we could eat leftovers the rest of the time!

T

TeDo

We always have homemade vegetable beef soup with crackers, cheese, meat on Christmas Eve when we all get together. Then we spend the evening munching on ALL the goodies we all make just around the holidays. On Christmas day, it all depends. There are fewer of us so we are very flexible.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Major faux pas on my part...I thought FRIDAY was Christmas Day and Saturday was the 26TH!!!! OMG>I will be hosting my extended family at my house on CHRISTMAS DAY...I have never done that and frankly, I don't want to but I will because I can't change it - some family members have to return to work on the Monday and are coming from waaaaay out of town. After I sent out the evites (with the wrong DAY & DATE) everyone wrote back asking if I meant Saturday the 25TH...ugh.

I hate that I keep shooting myself in the foot lately. LOL. Time to start decorating and baking this weekend.